What happened to run game 2nd half? (1 Viewer)

Someone please tell me, since when did we quit running screens where we draw the defense in and toss the ball forward?

All the screens we ran yesterday were behind the line of scrimmage or a bubble screen.

raw

I don't think Payton abandoned the run intentionally. My guess is, the Giants ate too much clock.

If we hand Ingram and Hightower the ball 10 times each, Payton knows they will start gashing the defense. We simply couldn't convert enough 3rd downs, and ran out of time.

Someone please tell me, since when did we quit running screens where we draw the defense in and toss the ball forward?

All the screens we ran yesterday were behind the line of scrimmage or a bubble screen.

Combination of our O-line and the Giants defense. Their LBs were playing the screen tough, blowing into the flat area. The screen takes almost as much skill and finesse to block as the run. Our O-line isn't there yet, but will get there.

The NFL prepares for that vs the Saints. Besides, no one on the roster can sell it like PT. IF we had a respectable run game, the RB screen & WR bubble screen game wouldn't be necessary but be curveball-like plays; exploiting defenses. All opinion of course.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Combination of our O-line and the Giants defense. Their LBs were playing the screen tough, blowing into the flat area. The screen takes almost as much skill and finesse to block as the run. Our O-line isn't there yet, but will get there.

One of the encouraging things so far this season has been our O-line. I think we are on to something special with these guys.

I'm still proud of the defense despite the last drive as well.

I don't think Payton abandoned the run intentionally. My guess is, the Giants ate too much clock.

If we hand Ingram and Hightower the ball 10 times each, Payton knows they will start gashing the defense. We simply couldn't convert enough 3rd downs, and ran out of time.

Against OAK we ran the ball 22 times (more like 20 if you take out the two Drew rushes) versus 42 pass. Yesterday, we ran 13 times versus 44 pass - three of those in the second half.

So even if your premise is true, that in the second half yesterday we had to abandon the run (I don't see why you ever have to do that in a close game - but for the sake of argument), it looks like Payton wants to run the ball about 10 times per half.

It just doesn't seem like it's enough. Even with a healthy 4 ypc average, you're still only looking at 80 yards. I'm not saying all of these things can be so fully scripted out, but it certainly makes the opposing defense's job easier while making our defense's job harder.

Imagine if that was the game plan.[emoji57]
Running the ball down defense's throats would be something i would like to see. Would definitely throw us & opposing D off the game plan.

A serious run game & front 7 is what this team badly needs. Yeah i know 9 is still back there. But throwing 40+ a game = 1dimensional.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately alot of wins and losses come down to strategy and game planning. The good teams, that win a lot and win the close ones, they seem to figure out something that works by the time the 4th quarter rolls around, enough to force the play on the field in their favor.

Does anyone see that as an issue with our offensive play? Just a thought. I am wondering what others think on this.

I do think that a lot of what we do comes into action because we are mostly into trickery to trick a defense, rather than go straight at them. This is probably because we are not good enough to go straight at them. But that is a weakness.

More than once yesterday, Ingram was one slipped tackle away from a huge run. There was no reason to run as little as we did considering it was always a one-score game. He would've eventually broken free.

Like I said on a different thread, this team struggles on the road in tough environments b/c we can't run the ball well enough. The last time we ran the ball really well on the road that I can remember is the playoff game in Philly. Running the ball allowed us to control the clock, the tempo, and, ultimately, the game. We couldn't do any of those things versus the Giants yesterday.

One of the encouraging things so far this season has been our O-line. I think we are on to something special with these guys.
I'm not seeing that. We had to max protect a lot yesterday to keep Drew clean, and, even so, he got sacked and pressured several times. We got very little out of runs between the tackles. Our blocking was not great as a unit in either phase of the game. The O line played o.k. yesterday, nothing more.

Serious question for the football geeks on SR. I know we have quite a few and I am not one of them.

Is it simply because SP doesn't believe our Oline can run block? They seem to be overachieving on pass blocking versus what I expected.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom