What happened with MT??? (1 Viewer)

SaintsIn2009

BRING THE WOOD!!!
Reaction score
Trade for draft picks wouldn’t be the worst outcome. Better disgruntled and gone, than disgruntled and killing the locker room.
This I agree with. I love MT but if you cause locker room issues, bye bye buddy.

Mad Max2

All-Pro
Reaction score
Trade for draft picks wouldn’t be the worst outcome. Better disgruntled and gone, than disgruntled and killing the locker room.
It would be Jimmy Graham all over though. The Saints would have to eat all of the guaranteed money, which will put the team in worse cap hell than they will be in for the next few years.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Tweets from who? Can’t say that I’ve heard anything about any other altercations between the two. Was the tweets from their own personal Twitter accounts?
No, they're tweets from Nick Underhill and Katherine Terrell in another thread. The "Michael Thomas out for MNF" thread. I read in there that both Thomas and Gardner-Johnson got into last year as well.

Nick reported this latest incident and Katherine reported the incident that happened on August 20th in a tweet.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The guy is not a locker room problem. This is the same guy that bought everyone of his teammates last year Jordan's.

The guy wants to play, sitting on the sideline watching his teammates play I'm sure is not something he wants to be doing.

He's not a distraction, if he was, we would have heard about last years incident and the August 20th incident well before now.

RajCaj80

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This I agree with. I love MT but if you cause locker room issues, bye bye buddy.
While the word is that he and CGJ have been at odds before...this sounds like a different situation. I don't want MT cancelled for something that he can hopefully learn from. If it continues to be disruptive, then yes. Unless there is something there that hasn't been reported on, I think it's too early to make that kind of a move.

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
I heard exactly what happened from someone that was there and what MT did was a HUGE cowardly move. Allot of other Saints players are pissed as well. Not a good look at all
you gotta feed us more details man. This post is like dangling a steak at wolves and only letting them get a lick.

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He expressed his "concern" in a less than constructive manner and chose to go straight to Twitter (publicly) than going directly to Drew (privately). Because he (and others) went public with it, Drew's family got death threats. Because he (and others) went public with it, Drew has the distinct privilege of being the first NFL QB to be told (F* You) by Slim Shady in song.

If that isn't throwing someone under the bus, I don't know what is.
Drew Brees received death threats because of his own public statements, not because of Michael Thomas. Brittany said so. She also said that it was a wake up call. And you blame what Slim Shady does on Michael Thomas?

Again, Brees voluntarily made public comments.

Here’s Brittany’s quote (they came to a realization, they weren’t pressured into anything)

“We are the problem. I write this with tears in my eyes and I hope you all hear our hearts. I have read these quotes and scripture 1,000 times and every time I read it and the words sink into my heart. I think yes this is what it’s all about. Only until the last few days, until we experienced the death threats we experienced the hate. Did I realize that these words were speaking directly to us. (words from MLK) How could anyone who knows us or has had interactions with us think that Drew or I have a racist bone in our body?

But that’s the whole point. Somehow we as white America, we can feel good about not being racist, feel good about loving one another as God loves us. We can feel good about educating our children about the horrors of slavery and history. We can read books to our children about Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Hank Aaron, Barack Obama, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman and feel like we are doing our part to raise our children to love, be unbiased and with no prejudice. To teach them about all of the African Americans that have fought for and risked their lives against racial injustice. Somehow as white Americans we feel like that checks the box of doing the right thing.

Not until this week did Drew and I realize THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM. To say, “I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag" I now understand was also saying I don’t understand what the problem really is, I don’t understand what you’re fighting for and I’m not willing to hear you because of our preconceived notion‘s of what that flag means to us. That’s the problem, we are not listening, white America is not hearing. We’re not actively LOOKING for racial prejudice.

We have heard stories from men and women we have known and loved for years about the racism that occurred in their lives, stories that were never shared or talked about because somehow they were considered normal. To all of our friends and anyone we hurt, we will do better. We want to do better, we want to HEAR you, and we will fight for you because thinking we are not part of the problem is checking the box it means we are are not doing enough. It’s our job to educate ourselves. We are sorry.”

You can try to make Brees the victim of you want to but that’s not how he sees it, and he changed course because he felt it was the right thing to do.

NativeFan

Reaction score
While the word is that he and CGJ have been at odds before...this sounds like a different situation. I don't want MT cancelled for something that he can hopefully learn from. If it continues to be disruptive, then yes. Unless there is something there that hasn't been reported on, I think it's too early to make that kind of a move.

Fights break out ALL the time in practice. For MT to get benched over this suggests he just straight up sucker-punched CGJ.

RajCaj80

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I like how every Malcolm Jenkins and Mike Thomas thread turns to "oh and how dare they call out Drew Brees for his ignorant statement this summer!" :ROFLMAO:
Most of the people I've seen who take issue with Michael & Malcolm is around how they handled it...not because they had a problem with Drew's comments. I don't think it's fair to conflate the two.

Maybe I'm out of touch with where the state of civil discourse is today....but it seems that if someone I respected & had a meaningful relationship with said or did something that hurt me and seemed out of character, I would have first approached them privately to confirm my understanding of what was said / done and then provide feedback & perspective on why what that person said / did was hurtful or misguided. A meaningful dialog starts from there and hopefully things can be worked out.

Instead, they made less than constructive comments on social media, to thousands of people who don't know Drew the way that Michael & Malcolm do, was likely taken way out of context and resulted in Drew & his family getting death threats from irrational people. Again, I might be out of touch but whatever you feel about how insensitive or misguided Drew's statement might have been, I don't think any rational thinking person believes what Drew said was deserving of threats to kill his family being justified.

That might be why so many threads include people being critical of how they handled that situation.

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
Was it one of the Terrell tweets where the DB's told him to quit crying? When I read that, that was a huge comment to me. Telling someone not to cry on a football field is a huge deal. Sounded like it came from a group of DB's so that tells me they (they) are tired of his ways and antics. Now, he sucker punches a team mate? He sounds like a puss to me.

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
Most of the people I've seen who take issue with Michael & Malcolm is around how they handled it...not because they had a problem with Drew's comments. I don't think it's fair to conflate the two.

Maybe I'm out of touch with where the state of civil discourse is today....but it seems that if someone I respected & had a meaningful relationship with said or did something that hurt me and seemed out of character, I would have first approached them privately to confirm my understanding of what was said / done and then provide feedback & perspective on why what that person said / did was hurtful or misguided. A meaningful dialog starts from there and hopefully things can be worked out.

Instead, they made less than constructive comments on social media, to thousands of people who don't know Drew the way that Michael & Malcolm do, was likely taken way out of context and resulted in Drew & his family getting death threats from irrational people. Again, I might be out of touch but whatever you feel about how insensitive or misguided Drew's statement might have been, I don't think any rational thinking person believes what Drew said was deserving of threats to kill his family being justified.

That might be why so many threads include people being critical of how they handled that situation.
Ok one, the death threats thing is horrible but....god I despise how everytime someone screws up the go to is "THEY RECEIVED DEATH THREATS!!!!". At this point, every public figure has received death threats. It's the sad reality of our world. Drew is not immune and let's not act like he's the first person ever to have trolls come at him. Freaking Danny Green missed a shot in a basketball game with his team up 3-1 in the Finals and he "received death threats" for it. Trolls are going to troll. This is nothing new. Hell, I guarantee Malcolm probably has received death threats for his work on social justice. This may sound heartless, but these trolls will give death threats to any public figure.

Now I agree, maybe Mike and Malcolm and other teammates could have gone to Drew behind the scenes. But Drew's statement came at a very, very tense time for black Americans. That's what yall always refuse to admit or accept. Black people were extremely on edge during that period and then Drew made his ignorant statement. Well guess what, his black friends lashed out. How dare they, right? As a black man, I probably would have shown a lot more restraint not to critique Drew on social media, but I have NO problem with the ones who did. Drew's statement was ignorant and ill-timed. He reaps what he sows.

It is not a shock to me that white people are more concerned with HOW the black players reacted whether than WHY. It's almost similar to the bubble Drew was living in. Thankfully, Drew looked in the mirror and instead of saying "How come you guys didn't just come to me privately :cry:???", he realized a lot of his friends and teammates were hurt, took a deep look at himself to delve into WHY they responded the way he did, and worked to become a better person because of it. I'm sure Mike and Malcolm learned from it too.

However, I recognize that people will feel how they feel about it. Drew is a well deserved legend in this city who many will always want to be delicate with, so we both can go back and forth with this but I doubt any opinions will change.

I am sorry for sidetracking the thread. Let's re-focus on our star WR taking a sucker punch at our blossoming DB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)