What happened? (1 Viewer)

So last week we put up 34 and lose. This week, we hold their offense to three field goals and we lose.

:shrug:

We abandoned the run game way too early IMO. Thought the defense and line did fairly well from my unprofessional opinion. Hopefully it's something we can build upon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

One of those to Coleman was a blatant PI that went uncalled. Still not sure what to make of Fleener. It seems he was open a lot, which is why we signed him, but can't catch passes that hit him in the hands. I think it needs to be thrown at his belly for him to catch it.

The Giants had a brilliant defensive plan: limit Cooks, Snead, and Thomas and force them to throw to Fleener and Coleman.

If Fleener plays at least like an average TE yesterday, we win that game. Dude was an absolute drive killer.

That's pretty much it, not having a dump off scat back or TE killed us yesterday. We really need to see what we have in Lasco, Lewis and Manhertz.
I heard nothing but good things about Manhertz during and before camp.

All in all, even though we lost in the manner that we did. These first two games aren't that discouraging.

If we can quit shooting ourselves in the foot we will start winning games.

So last week we put up 34 and lose. This week, we hold their offense to three field goals and we lose.

:shrug:

and 3 turnovers :covri:.

Just have to execute the game plan. Hopefully that was our offensive zombie walk game that we have once a year.

WR's were covered all game long. The times when they did make catches were in hurry-up/2 minute situations with the D playing off. Solution: throw to the TE, except Fleener stunk it up. This was the kind of game where Watson would have had 10 catches for 120 yards.

The refs also killed us. Somebody else mentioned it above but Coleman's trying to catch a ball with one hand because the Giants DB has his other hand in a death grip, and I mean, it was super obvious. No PI. Of course, that didn't stop them from calling PI on the Giants last drive on a ball that was 10 feet over the WR's head.

WR's were covered all game long. The times when they did make catches were in hurry-up/2 minute situations with the D playing off. Solution: throw to the TE, except Fleener stunk it up. This was the kind of game where Watson would have had 10 catches for 120 yards.

The refs also killed us. Somebody else mentioned it above but Coleman's trying to catch a ball with one hand because the Giants DB has his other hand in a death grip, and I mean, it was super obvious. No PI. Of course, that didn't stop them from calling PI on the Giants last drive on a ball that was 10 feet over the WR's head.

This game could have easily been the falcon's game from last year where Watson destroyed them. We absolutely have to start getting production out of a TE on our roster. At this point we need to see what we have in Manhertz.

I wouldn't say the offense was terrible, I would say that the play calling was terrible. When targeted, Cooks/Snead/Thomas did very well. Ingram was getting into a rythm before we completely abandoned the run.

Fleener couldn't catch a cold. We tried to win the game on the back of Coleman (story of the game), and lost because of a blocked kick returned for a TD.

Long story short, we found a new way to lose a game.
It was a coaching fail mostly, with playcalling...forcing of Fleener, Coleman in over Thomas, abandoning run again in a low scoring game where there was no need to throw the ball over 40 times....

Defense was indeed scrappy but really still didn't generate a notable pass rush which is still going to haunt us until rectified.

One of those to Coleman was a blatant PI that went uncalled. Still not sure what to make of Fleener. It seems he was open a lot, which is why we signed him, but can't catch passes that hit him in the hands. I think it needs to be thrown at his belly for him to catch it.

The Giants had a brilliant defensive plan: limit Cooks, Snead, and Thomas and force them to throw to Fleener and Coleman.

If Fleener plays at least like an average TE yesterday, we win that game. Dude was an absolute drive killer.
The league knows Fleener can't catch and will take more chances with coverage that leaves him relatively open.

And they likewise know how pedestrian Coleman is.

Need to elevate Michael Thomas at least over Coleman, coach.

If you had told me Saturday night that the Saints would limit the Giants to three field goals offensively, I'd have laughed and then said something like "so I assume we won by forty?"

FML.

I missed the game. But I'm reading the forum...

Defense was awesome?
But offense overall was terrible?
Oline was good?

How'd we lose the game. What went wrong.

Serious question.

It was a very conservative and tight game for both teams. Both defenses played well. Small execution issues were amplified given the closeness of the game. Fleener and Cadet in particular really hurt the team with untimely drops. Our Special Teams gave up the only TD for the Giants. We never recovered. Tied at 13, the Giants were helped down the field with a bogus 3rd down PI call that should have been called uncatchable or offensive PI. Then Victor Cruz made an amazing play to put them in chip shot range after running out the clock.

Need to elevate Michael Thomas at least over Coleman, coach.

I'm not sure how often it needs to be repeated, but Thomas is already above Coleman. He was the #2 wide out. When Bree's threw to Coleman I can promise you it was because Thomas was well covered.

Accept that it's possible for the other team to play great and you may not have to blame your favourite team for everything...

Brees and the entire offense seemed a bit sluggish in the 1st half. For as much flack Fleener got, Brees overthrew him early down the seam. He also didn't adjust the offense for a few obvious all out Giants blitzes, and they blitzed a lot. I guess Spags learned from his years here.

Run game was abandoned in the 2nd half. Could have REALLY used Spiller. Some quick hitters to him with his speed would have slowed the Giants down and another option for them to worry about.

Defense gave up yards, but played well being as patchwork as they are. Thank you big J for the early bye week.

No one wants to say it so I will say it again. Drew was not even close to as accurate passing as he was in week 1. His inaccuracy was as much a problem as the drops.

Luckily he isn't off very often on accuracy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom