What happened? (1 Viewer)

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I missed the game. But I'm reading the forum...

Defense was awesome?
But offense overall was terrible?
Oline was good?

How'd we lose the game. What went wrong.

Serious question.

I wouldn't say the offense was terrible, I would say that the play calling was terrible. When targeted, Cooks/Snead/Thomas did very well. Ingram was getting into a rythm before we completely abandoned the run.

Fleener couldn't catch a cold. We tried to win the game on the back of Coleman (story of the game), and lost because of a blocked kick returned for a TD.

Long story short, we found a new way to lose a game.

My version: NY covered Cooks/Snead/Thomas very well, limiting how often we could throw to them. We didn't establish the run, particularly in the second half. The Giants also struggled to throw downfield, credit the defence, but were better at taking the short options available to move the ball more.

The blocked FG for a TD completely changed the tenor of the game. Credit to NY for playing better than us.

I missed the game. But I'm reading the forum...

Defense was awesome?
But offense overall was terrible?
Oline was good?

How'd we lose the game. What went wrong.

Serious question.

Defense was good but very fortunate. Giants only scored 16 but they turned the ball over 3 times, missed a FG, went for it on 4th down in the red zone early in the game and didn't get it then on the final drive kneeled a few times at the 2 yard line before kicking the game winning FG as time expired. Overall, Manning completed close to 80% of his passes for 9 yards per attempt and that includes a couple drops. We did manage not to give up the big play. We stuffed the run but the Giants have a terrible running game to begin with. We forced 3 turnovers but it felt like we lucked into 2 of them instead of creating them.

Offensive line did pretty good pass protecting, Brees was on point again, Thomas looked really good. The skill players as a whole were pretty bad but mostly because of Coleman and Fleener. We couldn't run the ball, the offensive line didn't do a great job and Ingram struggled to pick the right hole.

The special teams really let us down but this is nothing new and the norm. The blocked FG returned for a TD was a 10 point swing and a back breaker.

Mostly, it looked like a battle between two bad teams. It's just really disappointing to not come away with a win when the defense holds a team out of the end zone all day whether it be from luck or skill. We'll see if this is a game that we are looking at in week 17 as a game we should have won to get better seeding or to get a better draft pick.

My version: NY covered Cooks/Snead/Thomas very well, limiting how often we could throw to them. We didn't establish the run, particularly in the second half. The Giants also struggled to throw downfield, credit the defence, but were better at taking the short options available to move the ball more.

The blocked FG for a TD completely changed the tenor of the game. Credit to NY for playing better than us.

Thanks for info. I ran across this from PFF.

Eli Manning dropped back 44 times.

1) 36 - no pressure
2) 8 - pressure

That's including 11 Saints blitzes. Eli finished with 102.1 QB rating for they day. Kikaha and Rankins going out has really hurt this team.

I don't agree Brees was on point... By Brees standards anyways. His throws were catchable but slightly off. Graham and Colston probably catch 90% of what Fleener and Coleman dropped but to say he was super accurate yesterday is not true.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Brees was his typical good self putting the ball where only his guys could catch it. However people like Fleener, Coleman and Cadet just aren't talented enough to catch tough throws that are purposely thrown that way to avoid interceptions. It's why we get frustrated when we just don't build completely around Cooks, Snead, Thomas and Ingram.

Other teams literally feature their main players but the Saints refuse in hopes to catch defenses off guard with "packages". This doesn't work as much anymore because we don't have the players to do it. Just throw it to your best dang players I say.

Lets say, . . .It was better in some areas and worse in others than last week. They have some things to work out and we like the direction they are heading in. Next question ?

Although our team lost, you would have been proud how our defense keep Ny to 16 points. Our corners were outstanding, (not to mention PJ Williams was seriously hurt) those young men will only get better. What hurt us was the TD,that was made from attempting a field goal. The offense had a difficult time getting into the end zone, as well as NY. This wasn't a boring game at all. What I didn't like, Ny were able to run the play clock down to nothing, because we used all our time outs.

Coleman played great. Those passes he dropped were not his fault. Under thrown or behind him. He almost made two spectacular catches. Give the guy some credit. He tried his butt off to make those catches. Cleaner is the one who couldn't catch anything. You could even see Brees getting frustrated with him.

Coleman played great. Those passes he dropped were not his fault. Under thrown or behind him. He almost made two spectacular catches. Give the guy some credit. He tried his butt off to make those catches. Fleener is the one who couldn't catch anything. You could even see Brees getting frustrated with him.

Coleman played great. Those passes he dropped were not his fault. Under thrown or behind him. He almost made two spectacular catches. Give the guy some credit. He tried his butt off to make those catches. Cleaner is the one who couldn't catch anything. You could even see Brees getting frustrated with him.

Same drops he was making in preseason. He is not Colston and our head coach needs to stop treating him like he is. The only way it even makes since for him to have been in the game is if Michael Thomas was hurt.

There may have been one or two over his head but he dropped plenty that hit him right in the hands, as did Fleener.

Same drops he was making in preseason. He is not Colston and our head coach needs to stop treating him like he is. The only way it even makes since for him to have been in the game is if Michael Thomas was hurt.

There may have been one or two over his head but he dropped plenty that hit him right in the hands, as did Fleener.

One of those to Coleman was a blatant PI that went uncalled. Still not sure what to make of Fleener. It seems he was open a lot, which is why we signed him, but can't catch passes that hit him in the hands. I think it needs to be thrown at his belly for him to catch it.

The Giants had a brilliant defensive plan: limit Cooks, Snead, and Thomas and force them to throw to Fleener and Coleman.

If Fleener plays at least like an average TE yesterday, we win that game. Dude was an absolute drive killer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom