What happens with Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

POST-6/1 RELEASE (2022)

2022 Dead Cap: $12,325,000
2023 Dead Cap: $6,675,000
2022 Cap Savings: $0

From Spotrac.

Also, he is injured, so he has to be medically cleared to cut him, I think?

What an absolute ANCHOR of a contract to saddle the team with, thanks coach. I like Hill, but it is not like there was ONE other team willing to take on that contract.
If he recovers and comes back and contributes in his joker role, then I wouldn't say that's an anchor. As others have shown, MT's cap hit is twice that of Hill and he's not a QB.

Last edited:
This is the worse part about Payton quitting on the team. He left us with his teachers pet and an awful contract. We could’ve used this money to re-sign Marcus Williams.
We can sign Williams without cutting anyone. It's already been explained clearly in this thread that Hill's contract doesn't necessarily preclude us from signing anyone. Loomis still will do his thing and we'll be fine. There might be some difficult decisions to make, but we'll manage.

CGM has a potential out this offseason with a dead cap # of $22M per Sportrac. The new coach plus Loomis will have to figure out in a hurry where things stand there. A new coach might be tempted to go into the 22 season as a cap-clearing year starting a bunch of young players. Painful, but basically what Payton did in a couple 7-9 years. The difference is that a new coach might not be looking at 7-9, which was apparently as bad as Payton could do, even when rebuilding/clearing cap.

Taysom Hill's new deal runs to 2025 when he will be 35. Because of Lisfranc surgery, he may not be able to play in 22. And the gap between his pay as a QB vs his pay as a joker /could/ make him leery of committing to the latter full time. That's an anchor right there.

You don't rebuild with a defense like that, point blank period.

I'm telling yall right now, the Saints aren't rebuilding!

Secondly that's the last thing a new coach would want to do anyway. New coaches don't come along encouraging rebuilds. New coaches are extended based upon wins. It can take 3 years to rebuild a roster. New coaches don't get 3 years.

The way this roster is set, it's a lot closer to contending for a superbowl then not.

Taysom Hill is the shiznit. I love watching him play, and I love having him on our team. For the haters, let's reiterate one point: Tayson was the best player in a Saints uniform at MN the last game of the season last year, and he was the best player in a Saints uniform when he was injured the last game of the season this year. Stepping up into the pocket, making quick - actually quick - decisions, then delivering lasers. If Taysom did not get hurt and the Rams could win a game, we'd have every reason to expect to still be playing next weekend.

He's got it. He was flickering, but I think he caught fire there at the end of the Season and can survive Coach Payton no longer being there to keep him lit at QB. Just a question of health. And whether or not the new Coach is some sort of meathead.

We can sign Williams without cutting anyone. It's already been explained clearly in this thread that Hill's contract doesn't necessarily preclude us from signing anyone. Loomis still will do his thing and we'll be fine. There might be some difficult decisions to make, but we'll manage.
It doesn’t change the fact that the money being paid to Taysom can be used elsewhere.

This is the worse part about Payton quitting on the team. He left us with his teachers pet and an awful contract. We could’ve used this money to re-sign Marcus Williams.
The bottom line, folks. He left us with an oddity that no one else wants or can use. Like an ugly pink sofa that u can't throw away. BTW, I love TH in the red zone and on 3rd and 3. So, call me a TH hater if u like. U also probably have an ugly pink sofa in the corner of your house as well.

The bottom line, folks. He left us with an oddity that no one else wants or can use. Like an ugly pink sofa that u can't throw away. BTW, I love TH in the red zone and on 3rd and 3. So, call me a TH hater if u like. U also probably have an ugly pink sofa in the corner of your house as well.
Love seat actually

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom