What happens with Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

No, and I agree. With Michael Thomas’ contract the reasoning was sound, and his impact was noticable on the box score.

Also, Taysom’s contract was a bit of a head scratcher given his numbers don’t reflect those of someone making top dollar, however I think his value to the team is similar to a great plugging defensive tackle. The defensive tackle might not have great stats (if any at all), but his value is in eating up space so other players on the defensive line, or the linebacker behind him can get free to make plays.

I wonder what the offenses numbers are when Taysom is on the field compared to when he is off of it.
At what position?

At what position?
Any.

In basketball advanced analytics show how well different groupings on players perform while on the court together, while not all playing their designated position (for example Lebron playing guard or center when he really is a small forward).

I wonder how well the team performs when Taysom is on the field period. Is it like that defensive tackle that doesn’t show much on the box score, but impacts the game beyond normal statistics?

Any.

In basketball advanced analytics show how well different groupings on players perform while on the court together, while not all playing their designated position (for example Lebron playing guard or center when he really is a small forward).

I wonder how well the team performs when Taysom is on the field period. Is it like that defensive tackle that doesn’t show much on the box score, but impacts the game beyond normal statistics?
That's a broad range of outcomes. I think the stats with him in a joker role versus a QB would be vastly different (he was actually the third ranked QB this year behind Jameis and Trevor in stats). I haven't seen anything on his joker role but just speculating.

I find it funny that in a thread with posts talking about Taysom not being able to return from injury, this one touts Michael Thomas as a top 5 wide receiver even though he hasn’t played a game of note since the Trump administration (due to injury). Lol.

I mean, Thomas and Hill had vastly different injuries. Lisfranc injuries apparently take 11 months to heal on average which would put him out for most of the next season.

The legend of Taysom continues to outpace the real thing. He had 4 catches this year, 8 last year and a career high 19 in 2019... No defensive coordinator is worried about him as a receiver. He's a glorified wildcat RB and STer that is 32 years old, has a long injury history and is dealing with one right now that will cost him most if not all of next year.

That $12 million a year gets you a stud at pretty much any position. A couple million more and you're looking at an elite player. You don't walk to get that Taysom Hill contract off the books, you run. And you bring in an every down stud player at guard, WR, or TE as your reward.
I would replace T Hill with an actual tight end or replace T Hill with an actual running back or replace T Hill with an actual reciever. People speak on this guy like he catches 50 balls year rushes for 500yrds and passes for 1500 a year, he's this unstoppable force that has to be accounted for when he makes occasional plays and when he catches a pass its over blown because he is a QB.

Guy is tough as nails and is fun to watch but you spend one draft and free agency period upgrading the skill positions and Hill is obsolete, he plays because of necessity.

Ever consider what price we would have to pay Michael Thomas, Alvin, - even Drew if they were compensated at the per yard rate that Taysom is?

We should probably implement that policy with our OL and defense too. Think of all the glorious cap space we would have!!!!

On a serious note, I don't get why people are so obsessed with Taysom Hill's contract. Yes, he is paid too much money. But, we can get out of the contract two years at little to no cost and his cap hit doesn't stop this team from doing anything it wants to do. Again, the Saints can create $30 million in cap space without cutting a single player.

And while he's here, maybe the next HC turns him into a full time TE or maybe he just wants him to run the Wildcat, or maybe he just wants him to be the backup QB. It's doesn't really matter. He's only here for two more years and his cap number doesn't really hurt our cap situation.

I would replace T Hill with an actual tight end or replace T Hill with an actual running back or replace T Hill with an actual reciever. People speak on this guy like he catches 50 balls year rushes for 500yrds and passes for 1500 a year, he's this unstoppable force that has to be accounted for when he makes occasional plays and when he catches a pass its over blown because he is a QB.

Guy is tough as nails and is fun to watch but you spend one draft and free agency period upgrading the skill positions and Hill is obsolete, he plays because of necessity.
giphy.gif

I've been waiting for some company here.
We should probably implement that policy with our OL and defense too. Think of all the glorious cap space we would have!!!!

On a serious note, I don't get why people are so obsessed with Taysom Hill's contract. Yes, he is paid too much money. But, we can get out of the contract two years at little to no cost and his cap hit doesn't stop this team from doing anything it wants to do. Again, the Saints can create $30 million in cap space without cutting a single player.

And while he's here, maybe the next HC turns him into a full time TE or maybe he just wants him to run the Wildcat, or maybe he just wants him to be the backup QB. It's doesn't really matter. He's only here for two more years and his cap number doesn't really hurt our cap situation.
To be fair...everyone else is paid in conjunction w/ their production. While O linemen and D linemen don't rack up yards...they are graded on other statistics.

Taysom's contract is terrible because there isn't any "backup" to the dollar amounts he's been getting. and there sure as hell wasn't any numbers to backup his jump from UDFA money back in '18 (?) to the 10M he received the next year.

giphy.gif

I've been waiting for some company here.

To be fair...everyone else is paid in conjunction w/ their production. While O linemen and D linemen don't rack up yards...they are graded on other statistics.

Taysom's contract is terrible because there isn't any "backup" to the dollar amounts he's been getting. and there sure as hell wasn't any numbers to backup his jump from UDFA money back in '18 (?) to the 10M he received the next year.

I'm not saying it isn't a bad contract. It is. I'm just saying that there is nothing we can do about it at this point and we might as well hope that the new HC can get some value out of him. That and the cap hit from his contract doesn't really stop the team from doing anything that they need/want to do. Hopefully the new HC tells him to get over his dream of being a QB and he will be a full time TE from now on.

If there is a way to let him go that doesn't cost big cap money, I'm fine with that. But his contract is so complicated that I'm not sure anyone other then Khai Harley can answer that question.

The new HC would be smart to get him more involved in the offense. He's not a full time QB (IMO), but Hill is a playmaker. Get him more touches.....a lot more. I honestly don't think Payton used him enough. Maybe it was to keep him healthy to possibly play QB full-time, but he didn't handle the ball enough.

I'm not saying it isn't a bad contract. It is. I'm just saying that there is nothing we can do about it at this point and we might as well hope that the new HC can get some value out of him. That and the cap hit from his contract doesn't really stop the team from doing anything that they need/want to do. Hopefully the new HC tells him to get over his dream of being a QB and he will be a full time TE from now on.

If there is a way to let him go that doesn't cost big cap money, I'm fine with that. But his contract is so complicated that I'm not sure anyone other then Khai Harley can answer that question.
Gotcha...feel bad for the new HC whoever he may be. This was kind of foisted upon him...now he has to figure out a usage for a pet project that maybe he under any other circumstance had no plans for using. TH's best bet for his football longevity is to beef up to TE and work on his pass catching. Guess it's time to say hello to TE3 #87 Taysom Hill

Gotcha...feel bad for the new HC whoever he may be. This was kind of foisted upon him...now he has to figure out a usage for a pet project that maybe he under any other circumstance had no plans for using. TH's best bet for his football longevity is to beef up to TE and work on his pass catching. Guess it's time to say hello to TE3 #87 Taysom Hill

Since we need to find a way to get some value for our money, I think a move to TE is the right one for him. And it's fits our need for a pass catching TE that can get up the seams. Hill is very fast for a TE and he has always seemed to be very sure handed so I don't think it would take much to convert him to a role as move TE. I think it might also keep him more healthy. I'm not sure he would be a great TE, but he might be better than what we have now and would likely be no worse than #2 on the depth chart.

And, he can also function as your emergency QB. I mean, he would be the best emergency QB in the league. :)

Exactly. Look at the pay of the elite TE's. Kittle got $15M/year, Kelce $14.3M/year, and Goedert $14.25M/year. That's Hill's contract plus $2M. Henry is getting $12.25M/year, Chubb $12.2M/year, Mixon $12M/year. You're talking amazing RB's to pair with Kamara, complete overkill but equal to Hill's contract. At WR you're talking about some stud WR#2's, hell Sanders and AJ Green signed for half of what Hill's contract is. Same could be said if you go onto the defensive side of the ball since Williams is about to be a FA and Jenkins is up in age. Hell it might mean the difference between letting Williams walk and keeping him.

If he starts at QB, which we all know now he won't, he'll be getting paid almost on the same level as Stafford, Garopollo and Carr. That's insane.

Exactly. Look at the pay of the elite TE's. Kittle got $15M/year, Kelce $14.3M/year, and Goedert $14.25M/year. That's Hill's contract plus $2M. Henry is getting $12.25M/year, Chubb $12.2M/year, Mixon $12M/year. You're talking amazing RB's to pair with Kamara, complete overkill but equal to Hill's contract. At WR you're talking about some stud WR#2's, hell Sanders and AJ Green signed for half of what Hill's contract is. Same could be said if you go onto the defensive side of the ball since Williams is about to be a FA and Jenkins is up in age. Hell it might mean the difference between letting Williams walk and keeping him.

If he starts at QB, which we all know now he won't, he'll be getting paid almost on the same level as Stafford, Garopollo and Carr. That's insane.
If he gets paid to start at quarterback we are having a completely different conversation about Hill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom