What has happened to the EE? (1 Viewer)

In regards to subjects like religion, politics, history (etc.), most of the posters on this site who can actually bring substance to these topics have already been to hell and back many times with one another in countless threads.

And the people who don't have anything to bring to the table realize they're out-matched and shy away from the topics. Thus, the lack of meaningful threads. But with more and more posters registering on this site every day, it's inevitable that these subjects will be brought up again periodically.

But I agree with you...threads about weed and bathtub urination don't really appeal to me, although I'm not criticizing those who like them. I'd just rather find something else to do with my time.
Same here. I enjoy the politcal/religious debate and when I'm not careful, I may actually learn something from the opposing side. This, however, is not to be confused with changing my own point of view, it's just that I better understand the other side.

At a time when it seems all football fans can do is wait for the draft, I miss the debate threads, even if they did get a little nasty.

And no, I don't go for the "How many picks can we get for Reggie?" threads.

I surf the EE board all the time but rarely get involved in the debate threads. The main reason is that there is such a wide ranging knowledge base and variety of opinions on the board. Most positions in any given arguement are covered and all I would be doing is parrotting an opinion already given. It does make for interesting reading though.

Call me when this new program starts.

The problem isn't that people who don't have anything to add shouldn't post.

The problem is that people who don't have anything to add shouldn't post over and over and over and over and over.

But they do.

We maybe could add a clause to the meaning of Be Nice that includes knowing when, after looking around at the other threads for a couple of years, to just shut the **** up.

I like your ideas and would like to sign up for your newsletter :9:

I have tried to start some substantive discussions several times, they just don't get the play that they used to. Partly it is because people come unarmed to a debate, partly because they didn't want to debate or discuss to begin with. Part of it is because, as Taurus pointed out, so many of them got their collective arses handed to them because they tried to out yell the debaters rather than coming back with knowledgable and reasoned posts.

I think the EE is great, there is something here for everyone and you do not have to read something that you do not want to read. But I do think that we are seeing less substantive discussion just because follks will not (or cannot) engage in conversations of any depth.

Honestly, part if it is that most of it has been done. As for religion and politics, it's already been hashed out. I know where most of the people on here stand religiously and politically. Until we get further on in the primaries or a news story breaks, what is there NEW to discuss? And until Tom Cruise does something new, what is there NEW to discuss in religion?

The trick is to find something that hasn't been beaten to death. try a thread about whether you wash your hands after peeing. That will be a fresh topic here.

Last edited:
Honestly, part if it is that most of it has been done. As for religion and politics, it's allready been hashed out. I know where most of the people on here stand religiously and politically. Until we get farther on in the primaries or a news story breaks, what is there NEW to discuss? And until Tom Cruise does something new, what is there NEW to discuss in religion?

Thou speaketh the truth.

Honestly, part if it is that most of it has been done. As for religion and politics, it's already been hashed out. I know where most of the people on here stand religiously and politically. Until we get further on in the primaries or a news story breaks, what is there NEW to discuss? And until Tom Cruise does something new, what is there NEW to discuss in religion?

The trick is to find something that hasn't been beaten to death. try a thread about whether you wash your hands after peeing. That will be a fresh topic here.

:plus-un2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom