What has happened to the EE? (1 Viewer)

Ah, I remember the good ole days when we used to have knock-down, drag-out religion debates. All the good ones - Catholic vs. Protestant, believer vs. atheist, creation vs. evolution, etc. Then there were the gay rights threads where we got to see simultaneous flamboyant displays of gay pride and equations of homosexuality with bestiality. What happened to the EE? Now all we ever talk about on here is whether we pee in the bathtub. I mean, I'm all for civility and all, but has anyone else been bored lately?

If your point is most posters appear to be walking on eggshells lately, I agree with you. I think the difference is in the past, a minor infraction in a post was cleaned up by a Mod you'd get a PM that was a no-no and everyone went on their way. My experience is that same infraction today is handled by the Mod deleting the entire thread and handing out serious infractions. That's probably due to the growth of the site and the Mods having limited bandwidth to clean up all these minor infractions (although I bet they still do so).

Tulsa, you and I have gone round and round in the past and quite honestly I haven't taken your posts personally (even if they may have been occasionally intended that way). I've felt that when you presented your fervored viewpoint, you've kept pretty much to the issue under discussion and abstained from making it too personal.

In my opinion, making it personal is where tensions rise out of control. Although a post may be within the terms of TOS, in my opinion, if that post is personally directed and makes another poster uncomfortable it should be edited or deleted even if it doesn't rise to the level of requiring a sanction.

The other thing is you can't use the Rambo Defense, "he drew first blood." It's like the NFL, the Ref throws flags on both of you.

So my advice is just play nice, stay away from overly controversial topics and keep your fingers crossed you don't get sanctioned for an unintended misstep.

I think we've had too many situations that have turned into more name calling and less presenting or defending your viewpoint....making it personal vs. having an intelligent debate. JMO..:)

Some of the sillier threads have their place too; sometimes we just need to laugh.

Richard, thanks for posting that clip...it's one of my favorites; ranks right up there with Gumby brain surgery...:hihi:

Last edited:
Speaking of name calling.....I've thought of opening a thread entitled "This Board is Full of Sexist Pigs", but since so many seem to take pride in that fact I realized it wouldn't generate much debate. :(

I don't see the connection between the enforcement of modest standards and a surge in threads that discuss urinating in showers. The problem is not a surfeit of civility but of triviality.

Speaking of name calling.....I've thought of opening a thread entitled "This Board is Full of Sexist Pigs", but since so many seem to take pride in that fact I realized it wouldn't generate much debate. :(

Hush woman, men are discussing a serious issue here. Well, men and Tulsa are discussing issues here.

/sexisthomophobe@us.army.mil

I think we've had too many situations that have turned into more name calling and less presenting or defending your viewpoint....making it personal vs. having an intelligent debate. JMO..:)

OK. but so what? :shrug: it was entertaining. I miss that

You know I love you, but be quiet and go make me a sandwich. :hihi:

RJ has it right IMHO. The problem isn't civility. I have held positions contrary to Tulsa's on homosexuality, Taurus (et al) on religion and many on politics, but have always remained pretty civil. The problem isn't standards, either. If there is a problem -- I don't necessarily believe there is one -- it is that some threads are less about debate or exchange of ideas and more about mental masturbation. I don't get involved in "peeing in the tub" type of threads, since,to me, the thread topic is neither interesting or clever. Non-sequitor threads, however, have potential, e.g. "Do we need more cowbell?" But again, I don't have a problem with people starting threads that I don't find interesting or entertaining. One may not care about American Idol or Lost, but many do. If every thread were interesting and compelling, we wouldn't have time to read them all, much less participate in a meaningful way,

If your point is most posters appear to be walking on eggshells lately, I agree with you.

So my advice is just play nice, stay away from overly controversial topics and keep your fingers crossed you don't get sanctioned for an unintended misstep.

I'm going to go ahead and give the above a resounding thumbs-up. :9:

/allofwhichareamericandreams

wei_feminist.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom