What has to happen to retire a jersey number?? (1 Viewer)

JONCAN220

Veteran
Reaction score
I really don't know alot about this Butler guy..cept that he played for the cowgirls and wears #57...so I guess its safe to assume he's gonna wanna wear 57 here...Why isn't that number already retired!?!?

hopefully that number brings him beast mode luck

I know man, Colby Bockwoldt definitely made an impact wearing that number.

I really don't know alot about this Butler guy..cept that he played for the cowgirls and wears #57...so I guess its safe to assume he's gonna wanna wear 57 here...Why isn't that number already retired!?!?

Because you can't officially 'retire' a number in the NFL. You can a hall of fame or ring of greatness or whatever you'd like, but the league says that a number needs to stay in circulation. There simply aren't enough numbers to go around. Keep in mind that each position has a specific set of numbers (from 1 - 99) that they must use.

Edit: For clarification purposes, a team can actually call a jersey 'retired' and even do a ceremony if they wish. However, the NFL rules on jersey numbats mandates that if all other numbers for that position are taken, then the 'retired' number must be used.

Last edited:
The Saints have three numbers that have only been worn by one player in team history, #0 by Obert Logan, #00 by Ken Burrough, and of course, Archie Manning's #8, but none of them are retired.

I agree with the NFL. Retiring numbers is stupid. If the Dallas Cowboys retired the number of every great player they have had, then they wouldn't have enough numbers for their fifty-three man roster each year.

By the way, perhaps the PGA Tour should ban anyone from wearing a red polo on the final round of a tournament because Tiger Woods is one the greatest golfers in the history of the game. Maybe we should take Arnold Palmers off Wal-Mart shelves when the King dies - you know, so we can honor him. Or better yet, maybe we should prosecute anyone who says Jeses "effing" Christ or the GD word - you know, because there are a lot of people who worship that person or persons. Can you imagine if the United States took the number 44 out of circulation because of Obama?

Does anyone really give a flip what number Sammy Baugh wore? Does anyone even know what number he wore? I had to google it. Bottom line: not retiring a number doesn't take away from how great a player was.

Syracuse University actually repeats (or used to repeat) the number 44 for its best running back. I don't know how that tradition started or even whether it has continued, Jim Brown, Ernie Davis (RIP) and others wore it.

For some of us, 53 will always be Vaughan Johnson, 57 Rickey Jackson, 8 Archie Manning, and so on. It works the other way as well. I'll always cringe when I see a Saint wearing 11 or 42, for instance. :eek:

I agree, you can't retire the numbers of all your good players, but there should be some exceptions. I think, your bona fide franchise superstars should be immortalized with their numbers being retired. Montana, Rice, Young, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Elway, Favre, Unitas, Starr, etc. I think you should have to be a Hall of Fame type player for it to happen.

I know I will probably take grief for this, but here goes. Why is the #8 so sacred with the Saints? Yes, he was a good QB and was stuck on some bad Saints teams, but so was Rickey Jackson, Willie Roaf. and Morten Andersen. Their numbers are given out regularly. I'm not sayin #8 should not be retired. I'm just saying that #57, #77, #7 definately should be right next to it and if he gets voted into the Hall of Fame, #7 should as well. Why can #8 not be worn, however, the number of our Pro Football Hall of Famers can be worn?

This was not meant as a bash Archie post. I loved Archie as much as any Saints fan growing up. I just want that same level of respect for Rickey Jackson, Willie Roaf, Morten Andersen, and maybe even Sam Mills.

The Saints do not retire numbers, not anymore anyway. Thats what the Saints HOF is for.

The only reason that #8 has not been issued whereas #57, #81, and #31 have is that there is no need to issue a player the #8 jersey. Due to NFL numbering rules, it hs been necessary to issue the other numbers and that is why the NFL does not allow teams to retire numbers anymore. While Archie's number is not retired, current numbering rules do not create a logjam in that section of numerals, so the team can simply not issue the the number without officially rering it.

When God forbid Drew retires, i would bet that they will not issue #9 either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom