What I learned Saints vs Rams (1 Viewer)

Dennis Allen is just not the answer at DC. He routinely, year after year, puts his guys in positions to fail. Zone defenses that would allow my deceased great-grandma to get open, and man to man plays that get easily busted by rub routes. It’s mind numbing. He generally has great second half adjustments, and that’s what I’ve always harped on him about to my people, but even that has been glaringly absent as of late. Idk who the answer is for defensive coordinator, but I think it’s pretty obviously not DA
The most amazing thing about Sean’s tenure in New Orleans is his inability to give his HOF QB a defense. Inexcusable.

Pretty sure you summed up the reasons why we didn't pick up Apples option and then turned around and drafted two safety's in the draft.
Lattimore IDK. He's the closest we've had to a legit man corner in a long time.

Bridgewater will get his opportunity. He's only on a 1 year deal but at least he's been a starting QB before. Taysom for all the potential has never started before. I'd also be concerned starting him with is tendency to take a lot of hits. I mean he does have an ugly injury history in college.

The next few weeks should be an interesting ride.

1. This may have been a brief glimpse into the future of life without Drew Brees following a hand injury that took him out of the game early in the 1st Q. For whatever reason the offense just could not find a rhythm with Teddy Bridgewater at the helm. Most alarming is the team quite honestly did not seem to respond well to Bridgewater and the bad body language started on Teddy's 1st drive where penalties seemed to derail it at every turn. Slumped shoulders and lowered heads permeated first through the offense and then the entire team by midway through the 3rd Q. There clearly wasn't the same level of faith in Teddy or the offense to get things done as when Drew is in the game and it showed. In also what should have been a big game for Jared Cook, he finished with only 2 catches on 8 targets and started the game with a drop and ended it with a drop. Saints have to find a way to get he and Kamara going (1 catch on 3 targets) or Teddy is going to have a hard time moving the ball in Drew's absence.

2. It's hard to argue against the Rams having the refs in their back pocket following a hugely questionable call to blow the whistle on a sack fumble by Trey Hendrickson. If all scoring plays are reviewed why not just allow the play to continue and then review it later. Sean Payton was heated and you could see him screaming do your job to the refs. There's a good chance the league will release the usual "We got it wrong" apology in a day or two but for a team desperate for a momentum swing following the loss of Drew Brees having a potential one taken away by the refs was just deflating a a whole. Cam Jordan could be seen returning to the sideline saying "I just ran 80 yards for no reason" Yes Cam...thanks to incompetence from the Refs that's exactly what you did.

3. Dennis Allan and Allen Glenn both specialize in secondary and yet the Saints DB's just cant seem to play up to their pedigree. The Saints have two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder in their starting unit and leaky yardage just seems to happen at will. Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, and Robert Woods were able to gash them 10 receptions 227 yards and 1 TD on a night. Jared Goff whom had only had a 71.1 rating and 2TD's to 3INT's in his last 4 games was able to manage a 112.7 rating and 1TD vs a Saints defense that tends to make QB's look much better if they've been playing in a slump. Majority of the secondary are in their 3rd and 4th years in the system but guys running free seems to be common place. Are we looking at a player issue or coach issue or both because there is more talent than most teams and yet consistency seems to be fleeting.

How long Drew will be out will be significant. The pre-season didn't lie with regards to Teddy in this offense and yet it is true that he truly hasn't had time with the 1's. Before I or anyone piles on he should be given a full week of preparation as the Starting QB and for the game-plan to be built around him.
The refs aren’t incompetent. They are crooked. The nfl wants them that way.

if bridewater cant do better with a full week of prep then he might have a short leash

As most people would hope but I think it's clear Sean is reluctant to put the team in Taysom's hands. If Bridgewater not getting enough work with the 1's is an angle then imagine what Taysom will look like if you have to run a completely different gameplan + having the same issue.

No, I think you work through the growing pains with Teddy and hope that a week of practice working with the 1's leads to some chemistry being formed but fact remains that if the team doesn't "believe" the way they do with Drew then you are looking at a dip in morale no matter what which could be detrimental.

Excellent analysis IMO. Perfectly said. One week though will not be enough I think. Playing on the road in an environment this team has never done well in. Add in the fact, Bridgewater will be playing with WR’s he could do nothing with against similar defensive players in preseason and now having to play with those receivers against first teamers in regular season on the road, it does not bode well.

I agree it's bleak but Im anxious to see exactly why Payton wanted Teddy back so badly. He's mentioned on more than one occasion he's got "traits" that fit well into the system so It'll be interesting to see if he can maximize those next week. One thing that is definitely concerning is that Bridgewater seems risk adverse with regards to passes down field. He's going to need to be aggressive to get defenses to back off and allow Thomas/Kamara to work underneath. A particular "want" to go deep and push the ball hasn't shown up in any of his games

Last edited:
Agree with number 3 as well, but I have for some time been critical of Allen's performance. When we throw downfield, it seems there are two or more defensive backs on the receiver. But when our opponents go deep, I too often see only one defensive back on the receiver, with Marcus Williams trailing the play by 10 years. We have three first-round and two second-round picks in the secondary.

As most people would hope but I think it's clear Sean is reluctant to put the team in Taysom's hands. If Bridgewater not getting enough work with the 1's is an angle then imagine what Taysom will look like if you have to run a completely different gameplan + having the same issue.

No, I think you work through the growing pains with Teddy and hope that a week of practice working with the 1's leads to some chemistry being formed but fact remains that if the team doesn't "believe" the way they do with Drew then you are looking at a dip in morale no matter what which could be detrimental.

I agree it's bleak but Im anxious to see exactly why Payton wanted Teddy back so badly. He's mentioned on more than one occasion he's got "traits" that fit well into the system so It'll be interesting to see if he can maximize those next week. One thing that is definitely concerning is that Bridgewater seems risk adverse with regards to passes down field. He's going to need to be aggressive to get defenses to back off and allow Thomas/Kamara to work underneath. A particular "want" to go deep and push the ball hasn't shown up in any of his games

I mentioned this in the Gameday thread right before Aikman mentioned it on the broadcast, but if you (Sean Payton) believe Taysom Hill might be "the next Steve Young", then why isn't he starting?

I mentioned this in the Gameday thread right before Aikman mentioned it on the broadcast, but if you (Sean Payton) believe Taysom Hill might be "the next Steve Young", then why isn't he starting?

You'd have to design a different offense around him than the one that's likely been set in place during Training Camp. If they had any intentions of running anything but specialized packages with Taysom you would have saw him get a shot with the 1's at some point during pre-season. That offense is built around a pocket QB not a mobile one and that's Teddy more than Taysom.

The most amazing thing about Sean’s tenure in New Orleans is his inability to give his HOF QB a defense. Inexcusable.

There are first and second round draft picks all over the defense. There’s talent there. Just like in the 7-9 years the issue is he is willing to put up with subpar coaching.

There are first and second round draft picks all over the defense. There’s talent there. Just like in the 7-9 years the issue is he is willing to put up with subpar coaching.
These are his hand picked DCs.

It was obvious Allen was the next DC from the time he was brought in to look over Rob Ryan's shoulder. Allen ran the secondary under Ryan (torched mercilessly). Supposedly was co-game planning also...

Allen will be here as long as he wants but I struggle with all the issues and breakdowns in the secondary, the last minute TDs given up when that is what he is supposed to know best.

I was at the game and EVERY single time the Saints had something positive, the refs threw a flag. I was dayum, this is crazy. And the fumble returned for a TD taken away. I just don't understand how the Saints are on the wrong end of questionable officiating so consistently. Bridgewater has shown me enough to know that he IS NOT THE ANSWER. We've seen him look rather pedestrian or worse in almost every game he's been in.

I don't think we are cursed but it's hard to argue with that with what's happened to us the last 3 years. lol

Hey, my old friend, I was there, too. We got screwed by the Refs from the first snap to the last. It was very obvious that the Refs were in control of the game and were not going to let the Saints get any momentum.

Bridgewater cannot read the field. Couldn't find his open receivers. Throwing the ball late. Holding it way too long. He cannot run the Saints offense. Maybe he could run the Vikings offense from 5 years ago, but he cannot run today's Saints offense.

You'd have to design a different offense around him than the one that's likely been set in place during Training Camp. If they had any intentions of running anything but specialized packages with Taysom you would have saw him get a shot with the 1's at some point during pre-season. That offense is built around a pocket QB not a mobile one and that's Teddy more than Taysom.

Right, but how much of that is "well, we payed Teddy $7 million dollars so we kind of have to go with him".

When I watched Taysom in preseason (and I realize it's only preseason), he looked poised and confident in the pocket. He didn't look like just another running QB. The pocket was collapsing around him and he stood there and made the throws. The energy on the field was night and day compared to when Teddy was on the field. Players respond well to him. I believe he can run this offense (or at least have it limping along) if given a chance. That's just my uneducated opinion.

Plus, where was our hurry up???? Its almost like we gave up after TB first drive. Plenty of time and we full huddle the whole game. Embarrassing performance all around, (although the blown call killed any momentum).

Pretty sure you summed up the reasons why we didn't pick up Apples option and then turned around and drafted two safety's in the draft.
Lattimore IDK. He's the closest we've had to a legit man corner in a long time.

Bridgewater will get his opportunity. He's only on a 1 year deal but at least he's been a starting QB before. Taysom for all the potential has never started before. I'd also be concerned starting him with is tendency to take a lot of hits. I mean he does have an ugly injury history in college.

The next few weeks should be an interesting ride.
the last pre season game was why he was told to stay in the pocket and not run. sure he was playing with scrubs, but it was to show payton he could, if told to, stay as a pocket passer and only run if forced to.

if brees is hurt and needs to miss 6-8 games they might do as you say and just ride it out with teddy and make him earn his money.

if brees will only miss a couple of games then they might play hill in situations enough to get some scores and let teddy handle the majority of the game time on the field being the one taking the hits

the team is clearly showing mentally not to have any faith in teddy as QB

Plus, where was our hurry up???? Its almost like we gave up after TB first drive. Plenty of time and we full huddle the whole game. Embarrassing performance all around, (although the blown call killed any momentum).
because teddy had to be told every play as well as every check down for every play

he isnt brees and they cant run a hurry up because he has no idea what play to run

Right, but how much of that is "well, we payed Teddy $7 million dollars so we kind of have to go with him".

When I watched Taysom in preseason (and I realize it's only preseason), he looked poised and confident in the pocket. He didn't look like just another running QB. The pocket was collapsing around him and he stood there and made the throws. The energy on the field was night and day compared to when Teddy was on the field. Players respond well to him. I believe he can run this offense (or at least have it limping along) if given a chance. That's just my uneducated opinion.

I don’t disagree - I do think that Taysom brings a spark when he’s on the field and it’s unfortunate Drew injury likely took away a large chunk of his role due to him becoming the de facto #2

You opinion is as valid as mine, we won’t know until something different happens but for at least 1 more week Teddy is likely the guy they turn to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom