What I see Offensively 8 weeks in (1 Viewer)

The thing I've noticed about our screen game as of late is you can't even tell if its a problem with RB vision...its getting blown up/read shortly after the play is snapped.

Last few attempts have ended with Drew throwing the ball into the ground. I agree with someone else that there seems to be a OL tell now. Either that or the RB's aren't selling it enough.

Yes! Our screen game has been pretty bad for a while now. It started declining even when Sproles was here towards the end of his tenure.

It used to be so electric for a while, but it seems like it gets blown up before the RB even gets across the line.

We have relatively athletic linemen to throw blocks, and it seems like the blockers get out in time, but they just get overwhelmed because defenses sniff out the play and make the stop.

Really miss having that old screen game..

Great analysis, I never considered Lasco as a potential 1a and Ingram as 1b. That would be ideal!! I'd like to see Ingram improve in the screen game--what in the heck made PT so good at doing it? Was the blocking better when PT was playing? Is it a lack of patience/vision on Ingram's part?

And what might be the game plan as far as the running game for Seattle? If Lasco is back, will he take Hightower's touches? Will the coaches go with Hightower as Ingram's backup again especially after his play against the Chiefs?...Will they prefer a vet over a rookie against a defense like Seattle? It never seems like the coaches (Carmichael/Payton) go with the hot hand and instead have a pre-determined number of carries for each RB that they refuse to deviate from. I like Ingram, I think he's a better overall back than Hightower but I'm not blind, Hightower was the better back on Sunday. Or is Hightower not trusted in the passing game--Bobby Hebert (forgive me, I'm an out of towner) said that Hightower was an embarrassment at pass protection in camp. Lasco was at times considered dominant in pass protection--and his collegiate career proves it--he was one of the best pass protecting RBs in college football in 2014 and 2015:

"Over the past two seasons Daniel Lasco has a 98.5 pass blocking efficiency, 2nd-best in this RB class (min. 50 pass protection snaps)"

We have to find out if Lasco is the future--he's smart, confident. Unfortunately, we may not have the opportunity to see more of him this weekend because the Searats may not allow the Saints to develop a running game.

Good topics and great analysis from both.

I think that even if Lasco starts taking Ingram's touches, we still need a better 3rd down option. There are 3 guys I like for this in the draft: McCaffrey of Stanford (but I don't think we will spend a first rounder on a running back), Dalvin Cook of FSU and Alvin Kamara of Tennessee. There is tons of college football to see, but I am sure we can get someone like the falcons did with Davonte Freeman.

I would also take a strong look at the right side of the lines of the teams that traditionally have a good running game, and try to get a young right guard and tackle in next year's draft.

I know we are going to have money on free agency, but I will use it to the minimum to bring players. At least I will bring second tier players, we should have learn by now that big signings are bringing us nowhere.

Good topics and great analysis from both.

I think that even if Lasco starts taking Ingram's touches, we still need a better 3rd down option. There are 3 guys I like for this in the draft: McCaffrey of Stanford (but I don't think we will spend a first rounder on a running back), Dalvin Cook of FSU and Alvin Kamara of Tennessee. There is tons of college football to see, but I am sure we can get someone like the falcons did with Davonte Freeman.

I would also take a strong look at the right side of the lines of the teams that traditionally have a good running game, and try to get a young right guard and tackle in next year's draft.

I know we are going to have money on free agency, but I will use it to the minimum to bring players. At least I will bring second tier players, we should have learn by now that big signings are bringing us nowhere.

I think because you can get creative with Cook's and open up that type of advantage with how we did Sunday it's possible to maybe pass on McCaffrey for a CB or DE or even WLB if one is available and nab someone like Alvin Kamara later and ease them in. A high pick on a RB is going to come with a lot of expectations and if he has a Meachem style progression when it comes to picking up the offense people are going to be up in arms.

Because we need to strengthen each of those positions on D it would appear to me those positions...depending on the grades of the players available would trump what would technically be a role player. Each of those positions has the chance to produce a starter day 1. A new RB would probably have the same issues Ingram had his rookie year with breaking the lineup.

How do I feel week 17?

Same. Except Ingram has impressed me and I think he's worth building the offense around with compliments rather than trying to find replacements and more reasons to take him off the field. Especially with 2 years left on his deal and what appears to be his prime, its time to ride him. That means no L47 but surrounding him with pieces hes not as minor role players. IE a RB you can split out wide/ Lasco as a good speed slashing compliment/ and then a backup Power RB. Give Ingram the ball and stop swapping him out and use the other guys to spell him or open the game up for him but stop subbing him so much. He's earned it with his Career best 5.1 average to this point.

I also think Michael Thomas is worth building around, you pick up Cooks option and you switch him back to the Z position primarily Devery's role and you let him go out and make money against #1 Corners.

Move Thomas back to Colstons old X role to the weak side of Brees and allow him to whip #2 CB's so much that they have to have safety help who he can split on a catch and run cuz the kids that good.

Also building around Ingram means upgrading the Oline and while Jahri was good this year I Think you make Zeitler your target in FA and you go after him. Zeitler is a nastier younger guy that is rather awesome in his own right. Go get him.

I've also changed my opinion on Brandon Coleman. A very reliable #4. He started to put it together as the season progressed and came up with some clutch catches in some of our wins. Because of the thought changes on all those players I've moved away from Patterson as the bargain ST's upgrade/role player to Reggie Bush as the Bargain ST's upgrade role player.

Finally because we've used the 3 WR set so heavily this year Snead is a priority signing.

Enjoy the read.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom