What if only less than 50 million people lived on Earth centuries from now (1 Viewer)

Tom, you might have situations like the ones we have now. Except on a more scattered, remote, far more spread out similar to medieval Europe: villages, smaller autonomous sorts of communities, maybe smaller-medium sized cities with decent remaining infrastructure or at least cities with functional infrastructural apparatuses. You would have entire regions, large terrains on most continents (save Antarctica) where population density was minimal or scarce.

The best historical analogy I could maybe cite would be late antiquity Roman-controlled Western Europe and parts of North Africa. When you have a systems collapse, especially one on the scale of a very long-lasting, very effective, pragmatic system of civil and imperial governance that Roman Empire provided for nearly 500 years, that's a hard damaging body blow to recover from. Major paradigm shifts in predominant cultural, social, political, and religious beliefs are also bound to occur.

I hope my explanation helps clear up any unnecessary confusion, or questions you might have, Tom.

Tom, you might have situations like the ones we have now. Except on a more scattered, remote, far more spread out similar to medieval Europe: villages, smaller autonomous sorts of communities, maybe smaller-medium sized cities with decent remaining infrastructure or at least cities with functional infrastructural apparatuses. You would have entire regions, large terrains on most continents (save Antarctica) where population density was minimal or scarce.

The best historical analogy I could maybe cite would be late antiquity Roman-controlled Western Europe and parts of North Africa. When you have a systems collapse, especially one on the scale of a very long-lasting, very effective, pragmatic system of civil and imperial governance that Roman Empire provided for nearly 500 years, that's a hard damaging body blow to recover from. Major paradigm shifts in predominant cultural, social, political, and religious beliefs are also bound to occur.

I hope my explanation helps clear up any unnecessary confusion, or questions you might have, Tom.
are you implying that people will remain spread out for health measures?
pretty sure most people would gravitate to city/state models for the efficiency and protection

my guess would be that there are less than 50 million people.

You're probably looking at 10 or so large population centers (maybe 1-2 million) in temperate zones with few, if any, natural disasters and then 1000 or so smaller outposts spread around that survive on cottage industries/tourism.

Joking around at its best/worst. Try not to get tears on your keyboard...I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Then you should have ended your statement with a /joke. In the current overly politically correct climate without the /joke or /sarcasm tag someone like me would take your post as asinine. With it then I would have chalked it up as poor taste and scrolled by it.

If we prorate it, it would mean there would be about 6,500 people living in the N.O. Metropolitan area, I wouldn’t have to fight as much traffic coming back from Laplace for work every evening where the I-10 lanes merge from 6-3 lanes.

Then you should have ended your statement with a /joke. In the current overly politically correct climate without the /joke or /sarcasm tag someone like me would take your post as asinine. With it then I would have chalked it up as poor taste and scrolled by it.
yes! thank you!
now we can get back to the serious discussion of what would happen if a hacky scifi premise broke out across the world

So basically you're saying it's a problem with how you view and take things? I'm fine with that. Good day sir.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom