What if Sean is really burned out? (1 Viewer)

Igordão

All-Pro
Reaction score
I really want SP to continue as Saints head coach for a loong time and I really hope he is ok and he can come back next season with the fire he always has. If he is working happy and with passion I'm sure the team will succeed.

But if he is not ok I will understand and at the end of the day nobody working burned out can continuously produce good results so It might be for the better for him and for the team if he step away.

Then we promote Dennis Allen to head coach and see where he takes us. Defense won easily 5-6 games this year. He’s interviewing for head coach job why not this one.

I think it’s probably frustrating for him to see how without a great QB, his talents as a play caller are deeply restricted and I’m sure it strips a lot of the fun out of the game for him.

I saw him look exasperated and bewildered in a way I’ve not seen in the 15 years he’s been our coach.

Watching him try and cobble a competitive team together with the injuries and Covid, you could really see some of the spark leave his demeanor - if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope he can give it another go and keep the train rolling. I’d miss the hell out of him if he left - but I’d understand if his heart just wasn’t in it anymore.

I think that's the answer he may be searching for...for... I'm not all in, then I'm a hindrance more than help.

This season has been especially rough considering the obstacles he had to overcome. I think the league making us play Monday night vs Miami with a 3rd preseason lineup was the straw. He knows all about the biases and he simply may be tired of fighting the good fight.

If so, I want a book. Not Ian. A tell all book. To open eyes to just how the NFL operates and plays favorites to facilitate agendas.

The more I think about how the NFL has treated us since 2009, the more irritated I get. And now, the possibility of our Coach hanging it up for sabbatical because it's just fruitless.

If he truly is burned out then I would say " Suck it up buttercup. There are plenty of people burned out in their day to day jobs that don't have the option of taking a break because rent is due".

It was a brutal season for players and coaches so it should not be a surprise about reports of Payton feeling burnt out he had to coach multiple starting lineups (57 different starters), 4 QBs and a hurricane.

I'm glad this was posted. I was going to add to one of the other threads, but the OP echoes my feeling on the matter. This may turn out to be a bunch of ridiculous speculation, but who knows? After everything the Saints have been through the last few seasons and the heartbreaking defeats, followed by Brees' retirement and now the mess of this last season, I could see how SP would want to walk away. I'd really like Coach Payton to stay, but only if the fire still burns. If not, then I'd say he more than deserves a break/retirement. He has given this team and city a lot.

What I do hope is this doesn't linger. If it's meaningless speculation, I wish he and Loomis to call a press conference by no later than Wednesday to affirmatively state SP's intention to stay and that he still has the passion to coach to regain control of the narrative -- a narrative that could impact how potential free agents perceive the organization. I don't think ignoring the matter helps in this case and I say that as a long-time public relations practitioner.

If SP were to retire -- and nothing against Dennis Allen -- I'd want the Saints to conduct a thorough search just for due diligence. Allen may still be the best candidate for the job, but at least they would have looked at all options.

My 2 cents...

If I'm Gayle and the Saints Organization, I want to take care of my own.

Coach Payton is inarguably the best coach in the franchise's history.

He's running into a little valley right now, and he's trying to decide what to do.

The first thing to do is just to talk to him. Let me rephrase that - let him talk to you. Find out what's really getting to his craw and let him explain it through his experiences. Take notes. Be empathetic. Find out if he feels that he's getting all the support needed from the organization. Let him get everything off his chest. Then, assuming he still has a desire to coach, start addressing those things.

If he just wants some time away, let's see what we can do for some time in the offseason. If the answer is "it's all just too much", then break it apart, talk about delegating, and make it manageable for him. If he's tired of being on the sideline for the games and maybe the long hours, can he take a position as a special consultant in charge of player performance? If it means taking a swing at the league to back him up on something, then that needs to be done, too.

We all talk about how great Drew Brees was for the Saints and NOLA, and he certainly was, but Coach was the first one to take that challenge after Katrina and he inadvertently helped Drew and Brittany decide that New Orleans was the place for them, and the rest is history.

I think it's our time to be there for our Coach and help him through his rough patch. Don't leave him out there with a spinning head trying to figure this out on his own. He's a part of our broader family and he needs to see that now more than ever.

If he retires, he retires.
images

I think it’s probably frustrating for him to see how without a great QB, his talents as a play caller are deeply restricted and I’m sure it strips a lot of the fun out of the game for him.

I saw him look exasperated and bewildered in a way I’ve not seen in the 15 years he’s been our coach.

Watching him try and cobble a competitive team together with the injuries and Covid, you could really see some of the spark leave his demeanor - if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope he can give it another go and keep the train rolling. I’d miss the hell out of him if he left - but I’d understand if his heart just wasn’t in it anymore.
Look, I hate to see people's spirit get broken but as I fan I have lost some of the enthusiasm after so many routine jobbings by the league.

Can only imagine how Payton feels when you see the deck is stacked against you and you may never be able to beat City Hall, because they won't let you.

At least he has the millions to fall back on.

If he truly is burned out then I would say " Suck it up buttercup. There are plenty of people burned out in their day to day jobs that don't have the option of taking a break because rent is due".
Day to Day jobs don't have Sean Payton's leverage.

Let me say, I hope SP stays, we are better with him. But, after 15 years of having 9 make his job easy(easy-ER) could he burnt out after 1 season without 9? Not doubting him, I think he could still get the job done without 9. I get hurricane, covid, and injuries, but not every year will be like that. What if he is burnt out from fighting Goodell and the NFL, via that recent article from ESPN about the penalties. Sucks, I just wonder how many SBs we'd have had we gotten a fair shake. All just speculation anyway

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom