What if Taysom gets a 1st round tender? (1 Viewer)

If we get a first round pick offer for Taysom, do we take it?

• No. Taysom is the heir apparent, and Sean has already said he could be the next Steve Young.

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Yes. Taysom is amazing gadget guy, but we could get a potential every down player or trade up.

Votes: 115 69.3%

• Total voters
If someone is willing to give us a 1st round pick for a 30yr old backup QB/STr you not only run to the phone but pay for the call.
I mean some of ya'll come on.
He’s 30 on the calendar, but not on the FB field, between the death of his brother, his 2 year mission, and the timing of when his mission started and ended, 4 of those years were with no wear and tear of football. So he’s like 25, turning 26 next season on the field.

I am sure I do not have the popular answer, but to me it is hard to pass up a first round pick for an undrafted guy who plays so few plays. Yes, he is an amazing talent and gadget guy, but I would prefer to either get another every down contributor like a WR, OL or LB or to possibly package the pick with our other first to move up to get a player they want. What do y'all think?
No brainer. You take the 1, for a 30 year old player. End of story.

He’s 30 on the calendar, but not on the FB field, between the death of his brother, his 2 year mission, and the timing of when his mission started and ended, 4 of those years were with no wear and tear of football. So he’s like 25, turning 26 next season on the field.
The fact is, motor skills begin to slow down with age. It has nothing to do with not have taken a beating!

What ever! I guess the team you coach wins the Championship ever season?

Even at the 22.6% of Offensive snaps he out played Ginn and TQS who had significantly more snaps!

Hill-19/234/6TD + 27/156/1TD rushing
Ginn-30/421/2TD + 3/18/0TD rushing
TQS-18/234/5TD

I’m in no way saying I want to get rid of Taysom but this argument that he’s the Saints 2nd best receiver is really and inditement on how bad our receivers are after CGM.

From what I can tell based off last years tender amounts with a 6.5% increase (the cap is estimated to go up 6.5% and the restricted tenders are increased the same amount) a 2nd round tender should be $3.3 million and the first round should be $4.7 million or a $1.4 difference. Given that, I am fine with the 1st round tender and see if another team wants to pay significantly more and give up a first this year. There is a good chance that another team would try to get him for a 2nd for more than what the Saints will pay but much less if they have to give up a first.

I’m in no way saying I want to get rid of Taysom but this argument that he’s the Saints 2nd best receiver is really and inditement on how bad our receivers are after CGM.
I disagree. If he didn’t want to play QB so bad, I think he would do really well as a full time slot receiver. Could probably do well as a pass catching TE as well. He does not shy away from contact and isn’t afraid to block.
He has the size, speed and enthusiasm to be successful at a variety of positions.

I think we pay him.. I hope we dont make the mistake like Ingram.

Taysom is going to get a contract offer for 5-6M per year for 3-4 years easy. He had 528 snaps. He had more snaps than Mark Ingram had for the Ravens this year.

So interesting to see everyone's different takes. Thanks everyone. If it were up to me, I would tender him for a first. If we get a first, great, take it. If not, then we are still probably paying him less than he is really worth to the team. Win win as far as I can see.

Look the dude is a tremendous athlete and by all accounts a high character player who teammates like and respect. He is a great story no doubt and his selflessness has been demonstrated by doing whatever the team asked. However, if some team is dumb enough to part with a first round pick for a backup QB that has run the wildcat and only thrown it a handful of times in the last few years you take it. Jimmy Garoppolo was traded for a 2nd rounder for goodness sake. A first round pick for Hill would be us winning.

Tacoes.... frankly I do not think Taysom’s ceiling is clear... it is still a very wide range. Presently he is NOT an NFL starting QB though and with Brees on board I want to win now... so the question is, do we get more wins added out of a first round pick, or gadget plays.

Frankly I think people are undervaluing just how good Brees still is, I love Burrow and I have liked plenty of QBs in recent drafts... but the odds of the best QB in any draft having the peak of their career match Brees twilight years is slim.
Win now, worry about what’s next when he hangs them up.

Where are you guys getting your info from? It's really off. He's in on 22.6% of our offensive snaps, and at #17 for total snaps among offensive players (#10 amongst non-linemen)

snapcounts.jpg
How is Drew Brees only at 60%?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom