What if Taysom gets a 1st round tender? (1 Viewer)

If we get a first round pick offer for Taysom, do we take it?

• No. Taysom is the heir apparent, and Sean has already said he could be the next Steve Young.

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Yes. Taysom is amazing gadget guy, but we could get a potential every down player or trade up.

Votes: 115 69.3%

• Total voters

Gumbo's Dad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I am sure I do not have the popular answer, but to me it is hard to pass up a first round pick for an undrafted guy who plays so few plays. Yes, he is an amazing talent and gadget guy, but I would prefer to either get another every down contributor like a WR, OL or LB or to possibly package the pick with our other first to move up to get a player they want. What do y'all think?

Taysom is turning 30 next season. His speed and agility will start dropping in a couple years. There's not a team out there that would give up a first. If he doesn't do well at QB, he will be out of the league in 3-4 years. I'm hoping he can start for us at QB eventually though. He could play another 10 years there if he does well.

I hope the Saints put a 2nd rd tender on Taysom and someone gives him an honest to goodness chance at playing QB.

I am sure I do not have the popular answer, but to me it is hard to pass up a first round pick for an undrafted guy who plays so few plays.

So few plays? I’m assuming you mean at QB because he’s in around 50% of the offensive snaps, plus kickoff, kickoff return, punt, and sometimes returns punts.

So few plays? I’m assuming you mean at QB because he’s in around 50% of the offensive snaps, plus kickoff, kickoff return, punt, and sometimes returns punts.
What do you mean get an every down player for him. Seems like he already plays as many snaps as any other non lineman except Brees and MT. How many downs does he need to play to be considered a regular?

Where are you guys getting your info from? It's really off. He's in on 22.6% of our offensive snaps, and at #17 for total snaps among offensive players (#10 amongst non-linemen)

snapcounts.jpg

On offense, let's assume the team averages 30 offensive plays a game. Over 16 games, that is about 480 possible offensive plays. He had 3 completions out of 6 passing attempts. He had 27 runs and 19 pass receptions. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillTa00.htm I did not see special team play statistics. I don't remember him playing any defense, although I bet he could if he wanted to.

For a first rounder... especially a high first rounder, you take it.

But we're talking alternate universe stuff here. Hard to imagine another team pulling the trigger if we put a 2nd round tender on him. And in that case, it would have to be a very early 2nd rounder.

His age is the main reason I'm saying this. A first rounder might still be on his rookie deal when Taysom retires. Maybe even a second rounder. It's a developmental league and 1st round picks are one of the most valuable items in the NFL. With more first round picks and good drafting, you add more of what "should" be stars to your team. And FO's... each and every one... believe they're good at drafting.

1st round? No brainer. Take it.

At this point he is our 2nd best WR so it will be tough to imagine letting him go at all. I hope he stays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom