Saints What If... Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
I listen to the Locked On Saints podcast pretty regularly, and the host has been consistently saying that he believes Jameis Winston is the future at QB, and not Taysom Hill... the topic also comes up here quite a bit, and many think Winston is the odds on favorite..
Anyhow, it got me thinking... What if Taysom Hill has stayed healthy following his Freshman year at BYU, and he continues to build on his Sophomore season for the Cougars... (which was a very good year: nearly 3k passing yards and 1,350 yards rushing in 13 games).

If he stayed healthy and continued to progress and improve over his Junior and Senior seasons... and his stats improved along with his play... you’re looking at a Heisman trophy contending player and at least a top 3 round pick.

We’ve all seen that he is a special player, and he has the it factor about him.

If he stays available, how can you really doubt the guy? I’m not taking anything away from Winston’s talent/ability... but Taysom Hill has flashed that truly special ability.

There is a saying about "Ifs". I'm not saying Taysom is not a special talent but Winston has been on the blue-chip baseball and football radar since his junior year in high school. The talent that BYU gets and what Florida State is on two different levels. I heard Winston had offers from all the top programs but FSU was only one to allow him to play both sports.
I know we've debated this a bunch but until TH can demonstrate traditional QB ability, I'm not sold.

I still need to see him throw a lot more. He's a great runner, I dont know what kind of passer he is. Winston has had serious issues in his career, but he can definitely sling it, he needs to show he can tackle the mental aspect of the NFL. A lot of question marks for both to me but Im optomistic

I do think Winston, working under the assumption that he fixes the issues holding him back, is the future. He's got raw, HoF-type attributes, perhaps all it'll take is the right coach - or perhaps not. If Hill stays healthy throughout his collegiate career, there's no doubt he's a top 5 pick with those stats. That's exactly the issue around Taysom and his career, though.

It's a whole lot of whatifism/whataboutism at the position he's titled to play. Outside of that bomb to Harris last season, and a few other odd throws, there's nothing that says he can throw a ball accurately 500 times a season. There's nothing that says he stays healthy an entire season, either. He's special, and he's carving out a role for players like him the future for coaches that know how to use them (the SP and perhaps Reid's of the NFL world), but the doubt is very valid. Especially when you factor in that he rarely chose to throw first at BYU. Beyond that, he hasn't provided much evidence saying that he's not a one-read QB.

Then you compare directly to Winston (whose stats aren't that pretty either up to this point, in all fairness), and regardless of the bad, there's a clear level of both talent and raw potential that's been partially shown on the field for more than a half. I mean, he threw for 5,000 yards and 30 TDs, and I fully believe a lot of the interceptions can be pointed at Arians forcing the ball downfield. The fact is that he won't be throwing nearly that much under SP, who will obviously put him in positions to succeed (see Bridgewater). The talent with Winston only has one if, imo, and that is if he can get rid of those bad decisions in his play. If he does, you're looking at another hall of fame quarterback for the Saints.

There is a saying about "Ifs". I'm not saying Taysom is not a special talent but Winston has been on the blue-chip baseball and football radar since his junior year in high school. The talent that BYU gets and what Florida State is on two different levels. I heard Winston had offers from all the top programs but FSU was only one to allow him to play both sports.
I know we've debated this a bunch but until TH can demonstrate traditional QB ability, I'm not sold.
And I’m going to need twice as much from Winston before I’m sold on him—blue chip gets you a high spot in the draft, but we’re past that, and Jameis hasn’t delivered on his promise

And I’m going to need twice as much from Winston before I’m sold on him—blue chip gets you a high spot in the draft, but we’re past that, and Jameis hasn’t delivered on his promise
I agree. I was referring to the "what if" college idea the OP advanced. They both have something to prove.

If we are talking about team success, I agree but again, that's team success (offense, defense, and ST). Now, if we are talking about individual numbers, even with the interceptions, he has done all right. Not like he went to a 12-4 playoff team built for success with one of the greatest coaches ever. *shrugs*

Ironically, whats promising to me about Winston is the fact that he threw a lot of interceptions. What that tells me is the guy is committed to the play and doing his job as QB. 1 read then run QBs have proven to be effective, but not capable of winning championships. Not saying it's impossible. Several mobile QBs have made the Super Bowl, and one will likely win one some day, but none of them have won it yet. Just to be clear: Lamaar Jackson = Mobile QB. Russell Wilson = QB with mobility.

With that, I wouldn't be surprised if the front office sees Winston as the potential replacement for Drew.

I mean... could Taysom Hill not be in a better position for the team?

I listen to the Locked On Saints podcast pretty regularly, and the host has been consistently saying that he believes Jameis Winston is the future at QB, and not Taysom Hill... the topic also comes up here quite a bit, and many think Winston is the odds on favorite..
Anyhow, it got me thinking... What if Taysom Hill has stayed healthy following his Freshman year at BYU, and he continues to build on his Sophomore season for the Cougars... (which was a very good year: nearly 3k passing yards and 1,350 yards rushing in 13 games).

If he stayed healthy and continued to progress and improve over his Junior and Senior seasons... and his stats improved along with his play... you’re looking at a Heisman trophy contending player and at least a top 3 round pick.

We’ve all seen that he is a special player, and he has the it factor about him.

If he stays available, how can you really doubt the guy? I’m not taking anything away from Winston’s talent/ability... but Taysom Hill has flashed that truly special ability.

Payton is aware of everything you said, so Taysom will get every chance to compete. Like some QB's in our past, Taysom won't be overlooked. Winston has a lot of potential and needs to mature, mellow, and be coached up. He will also get every chance. I will be happy with whatever our QB whisperer decides.

I see a longer future with Jameis. He is still very young and with good health play another 14 seasons. Plus QBs who pass for over 5000 yards are rare to have.

Taysom's true value comes from being an offensive weapon that defenses have a tough time matching up against. He is big and quick and know how to slip through would be tackles.

I know the whole “If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts...” thing... but some are treating Taysom Hill as if he isn’t or wasn’t a high-level collegiate QB. I know he doesn’t have the pro stats to convince folks that he can do it... but he was an UDFA that has been on teams with Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees as the starters...

I just really believe that if Taysom Hill had avoided season ending injuries 4/5 years at BYU... and built upon his healthy and productive Sophomore season... he would’ve been a high round draft pick and be viewed as some teams future franchise QB and face of the team.

Jameis Winston has all the talent in the world... big arm, athletic, etc... he hasn’t really shown he has it between the ears to really be truly great, but that could be coached-up I guess. Winston also hasn’t shown great leadership ability... the crab leg and Uber driver fiascos are strikes against him, and seeing his teammates reaction to his spirited “Eat a W” speech prior to that Saints game was (as the kids say) cringey 😬.

Whoever emerges and seized the job post-Drew Brees should keep the Saints as a contender. I’m just not even close to being ready to write-off Taysom Hill as the guy.

The flip side of the what if’s is, had he done it he would have been more highly coveted and we likely don’t have a chance to get him

there are always two sides to what if’s. What if AB had played just well enough to save his and Haz jobs until after Katrina. Somebody else give SP a head coach job and we never know what could have been with Drew.

I am enjoying the posts on this topic. Who in the entire NFL does not like Taysom Hill. One would have to be a masochist not to like TM. Winston has all the potential in the league as QB. I am excited for both of them.

However, when I try to step back and look at this as non-homer, here's what I get
- Saints love TM and just paid him $16 mil.
- In college, he ran a one-read option offense. From what I saw, he didn't blink about taking off running, like it was what he wanted to do 1st. He never developed pro-level defense-reading skills. And he got injured every year
- Can he grow some and can SP dumb down his offense to suit Hill. I think there's a good chance. But can Hill stay healthy in the NFL as a mobile QB? He didn't in college, but he has much better training now
- Even with all JW's talent, he never got down the mental side of the game
- How much of that was playing for a terrible organization with terrible offensive coaching and how much what simply JM's mental ability
- So we have 2 extremely physically talented QBs, neither who has mastered the QB pro level trade

Being a Saint fan is never dull with SP. Who knows, Like SP converted TM to Swiss Army Knife, maybe he makes JM into a multi-dimensional RB and reinvents the position. btw - just kidding about the last

Being a Saint fan is never dull with SP. Who knows, Like SP converted TM to Swiss Army Knife, maybe he makes JM into a multi-dimensional RB and reinvents the position. btw - just kidding about the last

The role coach made for Hill to date is a great example of how we may not even be able to imagine what his plans for the offense are. That wasn't planned. Hill asked to get on the field anyway he could and Sean had the vision to take what Hill demonstrated to do well and find a way to get it on the field. He still may be the most innovative guy in offensive football. But with Brees role so well polished and refined, we just have not been able to see it in the QB1 position since about year 4. And for that reason I think there at least has to be a part of coach that not only doesn't dread Drew retiring but very much looks forward to it. It will be sad but also refreshing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom