What if the league got rid of the draft? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Imagine the competitive balance of the NFL and other pro leagues if no draft exists, and rookies could join teams of their choosing. Teams like the Saints, Chiefs, and Ravens would have so many great players. Scouting would play huge factor like never before if you are a poorly ran football team trying to rebuild.

Imagine the competitive balance of the NFL and other pro leagues if no draft exists, and rookies could join teams of their choosing. Teams like the Saints, Chiefs, and Ravens would have so many great players. Scouting would play huge factor like never before if you are a poorly ran football team trying to rebuild.
Or Cleveland and Cincy would find the Osu athletic department. I would lose most of my interest as it would be higher priced college athletics.

I’d rather it be like baseball, with 40 rounds, and you could pick players even before they go to college.

The Rookies would love that lol imagine the bidding war for a Burrow or when Luck and Peyton became eligible for the NFL

Jerry Jones would love that. Big cities, big markets, big endorsement deals. L.A., New York, Dallas are the big winners in that scenario.

Keep the draft, but have it where the top 10 1st rounders can choose which team they want to play for, with the caveat that the team has to want them (they would forfeit their draft pick), and the player would only get the contract for the draft slot of the team he chose to go to.

For instance, if Burrow would say he didn't want Cincinnati, he could swap and say he wants New Orleans, but he would also be giving up millions.

Keep the draft, but have it where the top 10 1st rounders can choose which team they want to play for, with the caveat that the team has to want them (they would forfeit their draft pick), and the player would only get the contract for the draft slot of the team he chose to go to.

For instance, if Burrow would say he didn't want Cincinnati, he could swap and say he wants New Orleans, but he would also be giving up millions.

I don't like that either. "Come to Dallas, Joe. Don't worry about the money you lose on your contract. Look at the endorsement deals Dak gets as the Cowboys quarterback."

Drafts and salary caps are required for us to remain competitive.

I don't like that either. "Come to Dallas, Joe. Don't worry about the money you lose on your contract. Look at the endorsement deals Dak gets as the Cowboys quarterback."

Drafts and salary caps are required for us to remain competitive.

Then Dallas loses out on their draft pick.

They have Burrow and Dak, and nothing to surround them with.

It would make teams take a giant pause

Then Dallas loses out on their draft pick.

They have Burrow and Dak, and nothing to surround them with.

It would make teams take a giant pause

That gives them an additional 30 mil in cap space the next few years to work with. They can go ahead and sign up Clowney for this season...and another significant player.

That gives them an additional 30 mil in cap space the next few years to work with. They can go ahead and sign up Clowney for this season...and another significant player.

Good point, didn't think about the letting a QB walk to just get another one on a rookie deal part.

I would like to see something happen though, it sucks seeing the same teams drafting at the top year after year, and ruining players careers in the process

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom