What if we finish with worst defense ever again? (1 Viewer)

I'm not saying the two years that our defense put up record numbers that they weren't a bad defense. They definitely were very bad. However if you have a bad defense, and the offense is so good that they score at will. And most the time that means a 2 or 3 minute drive with 5 passes and maybe two runs where we burn say 5-7 minutes of actual time. Don't you think the defensive players get pretty tired pretty quick. It's called ball control and that is something Sean Payton has yet to come to grips with. I love my coach I love my quarterback but sometimes they should intentionally make drives last a little bit longer. That is of course if you want the offense to help the defense out.

Last year we were 7th in the league in time of possession. 2014 we were 19th. 2013 we were first. 2012 we were 25th (but we all know 2012 doesn't really count). 2011 we were 3rd. 2010 we were 5th.

So no... our offense doesn't keep the D on the field longer than other teams.

Forget quoting that stat. Compare offensive drives. Hoe many did we have in comparison to everyone else. Stats never tell the whole story.

Forget quoting that stat. Compare offensive drives. Hoe many did we have in comparison to everyone else. Stats never tell the whole story.

4th lowest in the league.

You can also see the post above yours that breaks down every aspect of the idea that the defense is put on the field too long. It's the complete opposite. Our defense routinely defends near a league low number of drives and snaps and to the extent that they aren't league low, it's because they can't get off the field (which = more snaps).

4th lowest in the league.

You can also see the post above yours that breaks down every aspect of the idea that the defense is put on the field too long. It's the complete opposite. Our defense routinely defends near a league low number of drives and snaps and to the extent that they aren't league low, it's because they can't get off the field (which = more snaps).

We give up nearly 7 yards per play - you can only be on the field so long when teams nearly average a first down per snap.

Last season's worst defense ever averaged giving up 413.5 yards and 29.75 points per game.

How can you be the worst EVER 3 times in a row.

We've set the bar pretty high. I doubt we'll be the worst EVER 3 times in a row.

It's only one week into the season... by the end of this week we could be in the top half of the league on defense.

It's only one week into the season... by the end of this week we could be in the top half of the league on defense.

True. We just need to hold NYG to less than 200 yards of total offense and less than 10 points - that would put us around 15th in yards per game and points per game (using Week 1 stats).

I am skeptical that we can achieve those numbers but I suppose stranger things have happened.

This is not the same saints D we have a lot of young players we get younger every year now that we have a Defensive coach that can fit the system to the players there only going to get better as the year goes on especially the young corners Breaux wasn't very good at all his first few games but once he got his stuff together you know the rest of the story this Defense will develop into a top 15 D by the end of the season minus the growing pains

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

It's true, depending on which stat you use the 49ers have the best defense, and the Raiders have the worst defense.

They only use one stat when making the lopsided argument, otherwise the word "EVER" would not apply. The NFL has been around since the 1920s there are several worse defenses they just didnt play long enough to accumulate season totals for Yards Given Up.

That being said what if we have the BEST EVER OFFENSE, ONCE AGAIN?

I knew this post would be copied/pasted a bunch this season:

I think part of the problem is the Defensive Game Plan is not consistent with the Offensive Game Plan.

We get into a track meet with other teams on offense, but then we dont play a defensive scheme that can win a track race.

We try to play a sound defense where the safety is keeping the plays in front of him and we make the opposition beat us all the way down the field. The problem is they beat us all the way down the field or we let them off the hook with a dumb penalty.

If you ask me that is just dumb, we should be playing the opposite style of defense. We need a Feast or Famine defense to go with our offense. We should be gambling for the Out or turnover constantly instead of playing it safe.

So what if they burn us often with big plays? Isnt that essentially what happens with several small plays? Wouldnt the big Outs and big Take Aways out weigh the big plays we give up? I say be sound less often and gamble more often. I say Sell Out to the Run on First Down, Bring both safeties in the box, Stunt, Exotic Blitz, Jump the Routes, Bite on a double move. One or two more stops a game might be all it takes to win us more games.

I think part of the problem is the Defensive Game Plan is not consistent with the Offensive Game Plan.

We get into a track meet with other teams on offense, but then we dont play a defensive scheme that can win a track race.

We try to play a sound defense where the safety is keeping the plays in front of him and we make the opposition beat us all the way down the field. The problem is they beat us all the way down the field or we let them off the hook with a dumb penalty.

If you ask me that is just dumb, we should be playing the opposite style of defense. We need a Feast or Famine defense to go with our offense. We should be gambling for the Out or turnover constantly instead of playing it safe.

So what if they burn us often with big plays? Isnt that essentially what happens with several small plays? Wouldnt the big Outs and big Take Aways out weigh the big plays we give up? I say be sound less often and gamble more often. I say Sell Out to the Run on First Down, Bring both safeties in the box, Stunt, Exotic Blitz, Jump the Routes, Bite on a double move. One or two more stops a game might be all it takes to win us more games.

Playing that style of defense would really leave them on the field more often. Because if we give up a big play, and then the offense doesn't retort and goes 3 and out guess who's back out on the field likely facing a methodical 10 play drive that's built on running the clock and takes advantage of our inability to stop the run consistently.

They should look to Denver for advice. In 2013, their defense was beyond garbage. Now they're going on 3 years of having a top 5 vicious defense

This worst defense thing is so overrated! We will probably always finish no more than the low 20s as long as Payton is coaching. Teams will rack up at least 300 yards a game just to keep up. The key is what G Williams defense was able to do: cause turnovers. We HAVE to get picks! I don't understand how any qb is just able to spray the ball all over the field on us without any turnovers. We're just alergic to them. We lead the universe in dropped interceptions. Once we start forcing turnovers and putting the o back on the field, we will see wins. Forget the defensive yardage rankings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom