What if we finish with worst defense ever again? (1 Viewer)

Babe Ruth style swing and a miss

Your point?

Or are you just another one of these miserable reactionaries who implode at the blink of an eye and isn't happy unless they're...well, miserable?

Contrary to popular opinion, the Saints did do some good on Sunday. I too, wonder if we'd be seeing all those implosion posts had a play or two gone differently and we ended up with a W.

Not that some of you care about that sort of stuff. You're too fat and happy being miserable.

We won't. Still adjustments to the D to be made, players that will develop, guys that will play themselves out of a job.

Maybe Laurinitis/Byrd will be replaced with Bell/Robertson and Rankins/Breaux will return. Ellerbe will play in a handful of games @ WLB and Anthony will start seeing a healthy amount of Snaps at SAM. Our young secondary will grow and our tackling will/should get better. Playmakers will start making plays and the D will gel.

edit: I really do hate using the word Gel for a defense. We've been waiting for that to happen since 2014 when it was Byrd's excuse for not making an impact the 1st 3 weeks. Clearly we're no longer using gel.

All that being said, if that happens, I want us to go after this guy:

matt-patricia.jpg

As head coach.

We won't. Still adjustments to the D to be made, players that will develop, guys that will play themselves out of a job.

Maybe Laurinitis/Byrd will be replaced with Bell/Robertson and Rankins/Breaux will return. Ellerbe will play in a handful of games @ WLB and Anthony will start seeing a healthy amount of Snaps at SAM. Our young secondary will grow and our tackling will/should get better. Playmakers will start making plays and the D will gel.

edit: I really do hate using the word Gel for a defense. We've been waiting for that to happen since 2014 when it was Byrd's excuse for not making an impact the 1st 3 weeks. Clearly we're no longer using gel.

C'mon man. This is too logical for some people on this board. LOL

But in all seriousness, I like the changes that have been made thus far and agree that it takes time for them to come together. The lack of a pass rush from the front four on defense is a big concern but at least we have the players for it to get better.

The secondary is the biggest concern but that's mostly due to injuries. Lewis, Swann and now Breaux were major hits that cannot be projected. No FO in this league anticipates having to trot out not one but two CBs with zero experience to go against the WR talent they'll face. But that's our situation due to those injuries.

I will add this though: The lack of experience and talent in the back four can be marginalized a bit by the presence of a pass rush from the front four. If Jordan, Kruger and company can start wreaking more havoc in the backfield, it should help those two CBs tremendously.

Pretty much this.

This is not an indictment against our offense or Sean, but the brand of football we play leads to the defense being on the field more than a typical defense should.

I thought this too for a second... almost wondering if our offense was partially to blame for our defense being the absolute worst in history repeatedly.
Cant emphasize that enough.

But time of possession numbers for us haven't been bad.

How can anyone say it's just week 2? It's just one game?
It's actually 33 games now where we have averaged giving up more points and yards than any team ever.

All that being said, if that happens, I want us to go after this guy:

[]

As head coach.

Has a Belichek assistant been successful in the NFL?

Charlie Weiss--nope
Rome Cromell -- nope
McDaniels -- nope
Mangini -- nope

Last season's worst defense ever averaged giving up 413.5 yards and 29.75 points per game.

The Raiders scored 35 and got 486 in our home opener.

Now with Breaux hurt.... there's nothing to make us feel like it's going to improve.

This will be 3 times in a row we've broken our own record for being the worst ever.

How can you be the worst EVER 3 times in a row. That has to be a record too.

So my question is what happens?

Nothing?

Payton isn't going anywhere. Loomis isn't going anywhere.

Dennis Allen is not going anywhere.

That leaves Vitt and Johnson... and we all know they have pictures of Payton and Loomis doing God knows what.
Even if by some miracle they were replaced, how big a difference could the new position coaches make under Allen, Payton and Loomis?

Free Agency, the cap, dead money, the draft... you could say we have finished last in those 3 years in a row as well and we will have huge needs everywhere.

What is to make us feel like anything will change?

The vodka is gone... please talk me down from the ledge.

Yes - if we have another Worst Defense in history, that would be something of the John Meacon owned Saints. Personally, I just don' think we are that far off. I am starting believe, even though I've been calling for the 3 Good Ole Boy D and ST coaches to be sacked for 2 years, that this is a systemic problem and the real solution is to clean-up the FO. I think Benson needs to bring-in a strong GM in charge of Player Personnel, keep Loomis, and see if SP can work with the new GM or rebel for loss of control.

Haha - let's go get Parcell's off the golf course. SP can work with him and he knows defense

Your point?

Or are you just another one of these miserable reactionaries who implode at the blink of an eye and isn't happy unless they're...well, miserable?

Contrary to popular opinion, the Saints did do some good on Sunday. I too, wonder if we'd be seeing all those implosion posts had a play or two gone differently and we ended up with a W.

Not that some of you care about that sort of stuff. You're too fat and happy being miserable.

I'm going to ignore some of the silly comments you made about being "miserable". It's hard for some folks on here to discern between "rational" and "miserable" when it comes to a fellow football fan's outlook, so I won't bother taking the time to try to differentiate between the two for you. But I digress..

The point is that the problems haven't been fixed. The defense still gets little to no pressure on the quarterback, the linebackers are marginally improved, and we still give up huge chunks of yardage in the secondary.

I was very impressed with the first couple of stands by the defense. However, in the back of my mind was "ok, but can they keep it up through the game". It was quite clear in the 2nd half that they could not. The offense was spectacular and the O-line played admirably, considering how bad they played in the preseason (although we still can't run the ball).

The point is that you say something along the lines of "one game in to the season! sheesh!" when you know the problems are definitely worrisome, and giving up the most amount of yardage the very first game the year after we finished with the worst defense in the NFL is cause for unrest.

You have to take into account the injuries we've had and starters we've lost, but at the end of the day it's just the numbers we're faced with.

Coupled with this salary cap mess, I'm not even sure we'd be able to sign a few playmakers on defense after this year. I'm still on the Myles Garrett pain train, as bad of a fan as it may make me to already be looking a season ahead. I love Kikaha's style of play and hope he comes back strong, but if he doesn't, we need a backup plan and probably need another disruptor on the line anyway.

It's a shame because I really had high hopes before our guys started falling like flies...I was thinking 10-6 was a decent possibility before we lost Kikaha, then Lewis, then Rankins, and just recently Breaux....Sometimes that's just how it goes though. Other NFL teams have lost more (Browns lost RGIII)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom