What is a bigger need?

• WLB

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Corner

Votes: 43 84.3%
  • Same

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
We need safeties just as bad as we need the others.

I pretty much agree about safeties but there were none available in free agency and none that would be a good draft pick in the first round.

i dont understand the fuss at getting a WLB, i feel pretty confident in having fujita and vilma back there

IMO if we address the cornerback position we're ready to make a push.

In FA or the draft?

If it's FA, then CB. If it's the draft, then LB. There may be a few CBs that could be starters right out the wrapper, but should we rely on the draft for that? I don't think so. Get a starting CB that is already established so you know what you have.

LB is so deep in this draft and some could be starters right away. I'm not saying this as a definite, but you'd be more impacted by a bad rook CB than you would a bad rook LB.

you'd be more impacted by a bad rook CB than you would a bad rook LB.

By that thinking a QB would never get drafted.

You would be more impacted by a good CB than you would a good LB.

By that thinking a QB would never get drafted.

You would be more impacted by a good CB than you would a good LB.

You got me on the first statement, but the second one solidifies my pernt. That's why we need a proven CB right now.

David is the only healthy starter at CB. We all have hopes for Young, but he's an unknown. I just don't see McKenzie as a Saint due to his injury and salary. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Shanle is not good, but he's a better LB than David is a CB. It's close, and both positions need to be upgraded, but CB is the bigger need.

Biggest Needs

IMHO the biggest needs are (in order):

1. CB
2. DT
3. FS
4. WLB
5. TE
6. Backup CB
7. #2 WR
8. Pass-rushing DE
9. Backup QB
10. Backup C

Before Vilma I had MLB as the #2 need.

My take: We can deal with one weak area. Like if we had gotten Briggs and then drafted a top flight CB, the pass rush wouldn't have been too bad because the secondary would be better (longer time for the DEs to get the QB) and our LB corp would have been amazing (so we could have blitzed more, allowed the safetys to watch the pass instead of run first, etc). Had we gotten Briggs and a top flight pass rushing DT, it would have allowed the safetys to watch the pass first and we could have forced QBs to hurry and this would have covered the corners.

So, while I think that WLB is actually not a need at all but more of a want (Shanle is OK, he's not a hole). It would be easiest to get a great WLB in the 2nd round while still getting a top DT or CB in the first. So WLB in the 2nd or 3rd is the most important move for us to make. As long as we do that, and go CB/DT in the first, we're still good.

I think its corner, I hear the front 7 alot, but when you have no corners its a front 5 and your facing a spread offense where they will expose how poor our secondary is. Corner is more important than WLB because if we don't get some good starters in here we aren't gonna see our WLB on the field.

If we can get some suitable DT's in here via trade or FA, or maybe draft one if Dorsey or Ellis falls... the front 4 can help the secondary, and hopefully Smith and Grant return to thier past forms with better and consistent inside play. But we need some corners in a bad way as well. I haven't heard much on MM injury but i'm pretty sure he will not be ready for the season opener. David and Craft I don't think will do it unless we improve the pass rush times 100.

WLB i'd say is lowest on the my priority list because until we fix the other things, the WLB play will be limited and you will see teams try and spread us out IMHO. I can't see why you wouldn't We will see 3 and 4 wide sets even more so than we do now if our starting corners are David and Craft (both are nickle backs IMO). Now imagine our nickle if those two are our starters, and even worse us in a dime. My god i'm scared thinking about it now. We need some corners in a bad way, much more so than WLB.

The secondary gave up so many big plays in the last year or two, especially last year. I like Cromartie, unless dorsey, ellis or Chris Long happens to fall to us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom