What is Anthony Davis trade value? (1 Viewer)

I don't think AD gets traded this offseason, unless the offer is overwhelming. I also don't think it will be to the three teams everyone is talking about. I think David Griffin can talk him into playing at least until the deadline. A lot of things can change during the first half of a season and if he still wants to leave, then we'll examine the best options then.
Unless AD opts in for another season, I cannot see them taking that risk. It is highly unlikely they get as much then as they could this summer.

Malcontent hanging around for 1/2 a season is a recipe for disaster. We just got rid of Demps for those types of decisions. Trade AD to a team in Eastern Conference for a reasonable return and everybody benefits.

I think AD gets traded to the Knicks for:
Knicks 2019 1st (RJ Barrett)
Mavs 2021 1st
Mavs 2023 1st
Mitchell Robinson
Dennis Smith Jr
Kevin Knox

Rumor is the Pelicans aren't high on Knox and I'm not too high on DSJ, but both have trade value. The draft picks and Robinson are musts.

The only other realistic option (IMO) is a trade with Boston. Griffin would have to really love Tatum and/or Brown to accept their offer.

He is chasing a dream of the Knicks also landing Kyrie and KD. A team with the 3 of them will contend. Same with the Lakers, he is looking to pair with Lebron and assumes a 3rd big name would follow. He has to assume that superstars will just not sign in New Orleans so he can never get a "Big 3" situation here. But I would say winning will change that.
They'll contend because the East is weak, but they're not going to win anything substantial.

I do agree with AD in the thinking that superstars are not going to sign with NOLA. He has a role to play in that, though. He's not exactly the charismatic leader that players gravitate towards. If you're not going to draw the free agents, then you need to draft Superstars which is hard to do when you trade away all your picks.

I don't think AD gets traded this offseason, unless the offer is overwhelming. I also don't think it will be to the three teams everyone is talking about. I think David Griffin can talk him into playing at least until the deadline. A lot of things can change during the first half of a season and if he still wants to leave, then we'll examine the best options then.
The longer Griffen waits, the less leverage he has in extracting the best deal + you have a guy who doesn't want to be here still on the team. There is no upside that I can see to keeping AD unless he agrees to a long term deal this summer.

The longer Griffen waits, the less leverage he has in extracting the best deal + you have a guy who doesn't want to be here still on the team. There is no upside that I can see to keeping AD unless he agrees to a long term deal this summer.
I don't think there will be much drop off in the offers. He's still Anthony Davis and everyone would love to have him. It makes more sense to give AD a chance to play with whoever we get in the draft for half the year and that also gives us a chance to see what RJ Barrett, Jarett Culver, etc. look like in the NBA rather than guessing. Will they look like Markelle Fultz or Devon Booker? You can tell pretty early on and that would be invaluable. If AD agreed to a sign and trade, the offers would still be strong. The biggest risk is major injury of course.

I don't think there will be much drop off in the offers. He's still Anthony Davis and everyone would love to have him. It makes more sense to give AD a chance to play with whoever we get in the draft for half the year and that also gives us a chance to see what RJ Barrett, Jarett Culver, etc. look like in the NBA rather than guessing. Will they look like Markelle Fultz or Devon Booker? You can tell pretty early on and that would be invaluable. If AD agreed to a sign and trade, the offers would still be strong. The biggest risk is major injury of course.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the possibility of Griffin entering the season with AD on the roster and trading him off before the trade deadline next season. The loss of leverage begins after the 2019 draft, IMO.

If Ainge offers Tatum, Brown and the Memphis pick, I like the Celtics.

Anything else, hello Knicks. But I need the Knicks 20222 pick back as well.

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the possibility of Griffin entering the season with AD on the roster and trading him off before the trade deadline next season. The loss of leverage begins after the 2019 draft, IMO.
Unless injury occurs. AD is kind of fragile as is, and we would be 1 Boogie Cousins type injury away from getting nothing in return for him. The risk/reward MAY be worth it, but we could also lose a winning lottery ticket.

A Knicks offer should include the #3 (Barrett), Knox, Robinson, Smith (who may be dealt to a 3rd team) and the Dallas 2021 and 2023 1st rounders.
A Celtics offer should include Tatum, Brown, Smart, Williams and the Kings pick (#14), Clippers pick (#20) and the Memphis 2020 top 6 protected pick.
A Lakers offer should include Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Wagner and 2-3 1st rounders.

Now, I would expect all the teams to initially offer less than that, but that is where I would hope the Pels push them to as far as an offer. Even at that, the Lakers offer would worry me because of Ingram's health.

The Clippers could offer SGA, Shamet, Harrell, Gallinari and 1-2 of their own 1st rounders with the 2021 Miami unprotected 1st rounder (if they think they have a shot at another star FA to pair with AD).

Your Knicks and Celtics offers have WAY more value than the Lakers offer. Even with the 4th overall pick the Lakers do not have enough value to trade for AD.

The only way I see the Lakers getting AD is via a 3-team trade with Memphis and absorbing Solomon Hill's contract, that allows us to take Ja Morant + Kuzma + plus additional 1st rounders, Memphis gets 4th overall + Ball + Ingram, Lakers get AD & absorb Solomon Hill's contract.

But I don't see Memphis getting much gain there and they're reportedly set on Ja Morant as they should be.

Celtics and Knicks trades you mention would be huge wins for us and free up a ton of cap space to make a splash in FA.

Unless injury occurs. AD is kind of fragile as is, and we would be 1 Boogie Cousins type injury away from getting nothing in return for him. The risk/reward MAY be worth it, but we could also lose a winning lottery ticket.
and there is that to consider as well.

Of course, Griffin is bringing in Aaron Nelson, who many consider to be the best in all of athletics in terms of treatment and prevention of injuries. He has been credited with extending the careers of a very brittle Grant Hill and Steve Nash another 5-6 years. If I'm AD, the cash alone that the Pels can offer keeps me in NOLA. Adding a guy like Aaron Nelson to the role of player care and treatment locks it in.

This goes double for me right now when I look at the dysfunctional organizations that he has alluded to being his top choices. The Knicks have a large amount of cap space, but still remain a dumpster fire. The Lakers have imploded and no one knows who is running the tea, and reporting to anyone. I honestly feel that the Pelicans without AD are closer to the playoffs than either of those teams and we haven't even seen what the Pels get in return for AD and the draft yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom