What is causing this offense to stall? (1 Viewer)

What’s causing this offense to stall?

• Injuries

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Poor oline play

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Jameis

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • Sean

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • A mix of things

Votes: 171 57.4%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • We are fine

Votes: 12 4.0%

• Total voters
WR and O-line.

Yes Winston throws dumb picks, but he has NEVER had a problem putting up yards. This the lowest yards per game in his career and in Payton coaching career.

We will probably never have Godwin, Evans, Desean Jackson. We invest in our lines.

1 Reception by a TE the last 2 weeks and not having NFL level WRs running routes is the biggest problem. 2 starters on the O line being out doesnt help.

Winston isnt inspiring confidence by any means. He has thrown for 5k before. He has been able to rack up yards. But he cant even get close to 200. Why? He had legit receiver in Tampa. He has no one that can get open here. So then you have a guy trying to live down INTs, being put in a situation where he has to take a damn chance with every throw he makes because none of his receiving options can create space or know how to beat a zone.

Ultimately, I think he is trying too hard to NOT throw INTs and doesnt want to throw to guys who are blanketed every play. Its a lose-lose situation for Winston right now. We can get CGM and TQS back to put some NFL level talent on the field, but there is no one coming to save the TE position.

But no, I dont see Winston as the long term answer at this point. But at the sime time he has zero help in the passing game.

Last edited:
I can't honestly answer that without watching the film to see WR routes. Protection was okay today, not great but certainly good enough. The running game was similar. It held the offense together but let us down at times. So I'd say primarily WRs and/or Jameis' slow or missing reads. WRs seems more likely but I can't say that just watching the game live.
I was going to say this...watching from home I couldn't tell if WRs were open or not on the plays where he held the ball for 4+ secs then taking a sack....I'll need to see a professional take on what happened there.

One thing I saw was towards the end of the game they showed JW on the sideline and he didn't look too happy either...so at least it isn't just us

This.

Our receivers struggled getting separation for years. Brees made it work through experience, accuracy and with short passes he knew would be there from presnap reads.

It's going to take a while for Jameis to get quicker on the mental side of the offense, get comfortable, confident and quit thinking. It may never happen but everyone has to be ready to give him a long chance. Getting some players back certainly will help too.

Baby steps. I'll rather lose a game or even a few games early than rock Jameis' confidence. Payton is doing a good job. This team is built to win on defense and built to improve on offense through the season. Give it time.
Brees made it work because he could play this style of offense, Winston though talented might not be a good fit for this style of offense

1 Reception by a TE the last 2 weeks and not having NFL level WRs running routes is the biggest problem. 2 starters on the O line being out doesnt help.

Winston isnt inspiring confidence by any means. He has thrown for 5k before. He has been able to rack up yards. But he cant even get close to 200. Why? He had legit receiver in Tampa. He has no one that can get open here. So then you have a guy trying to live down INTs, being put in a situation where he has to take a damn chance with every throw he makes because none of his receiving options can create space or know how to beat a zone.

Ultimately, I think he is trying to hard to NOT throw INTs and doesnt want to throw to guys who are blanketed every play. Its a lose-lose situation for Winston right now. We can get CGM and TQS back to put some NFL level talent on the field, but there is no one coming to save the TE position.
I agree w/ the part of Jameis maybe in his own head of not wanting to throw interceptions. People are so tough on him and the coaches are prob all over him about that so you do see some indecision but again we would have to watch the film to see if the WRs are separating or not.

How's WR not an option??

Did we forget our starting WRs are undrafted?

One of whom is 5'6 D2 kick returner transitioning to WR??

Play them both man to man and double Kamara. Who is going to beat you consistently??
This. Salary cap should be first option. We can't pay starting quality wr's. Who knows if CGM will be the same player.

I blame utter chaos.
Time to go home celebrate a successful month long road trip.

Good job guys!

After three games, I finally realize that Brees made our offense look better than it was. Arm strength aside, consider he
navigated the pocket to avoid sacks, had
perfect ball placement, and made great decisions. Without him our offense is pedestrian.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom