What is causing this offense to stall? (1 Viewer)

What’s causing this offense to stall?

• Injuries

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Poor oline play

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Jameis

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • Sean

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • A mix of things

Votes: 171 57.4%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • We are fine

Votes: 12 4.0%

• Total voters
WR’s unable to separate a lot of the time. Injuries, erratic o line play.

It’s definitely a combination. Injuries, o-line breaking down, Winston holding the ball too long, receivers not getting open? I’m unsure on the receivers.. just guessing. I honestly think Winston is so concerned with playing safer that he’s holding the ball too long. I counted 6+ seconds today when he was sacked.

I also think Payton’s play calling with the runs was a little predictable. Same run play 3 times with Hill. I’d like to see some WR screens to guys like Taysom and Harris, pitches to the outside with the RBs, and just more creative run plays in general. I think the offense is a tad watered down with a new QB, injuries, and everyone trying to get on the same page.

D7EFDDB5-F54C-47B6-92D3-1DE93C2D46DA.jpeg
This is so simple. He has either Taysom Hill in the flat or Kamara underneath. Yet he throws into triple coverage. There’s a reason Kamara has 81 receptions in each of his first 3 seasons. Jameis always wants to throw to his deepest receiver even on first down.

He had plenty of time, wasn’t pressured and almost threw an interception.

And it’s Alvin freaking Kamara wide open!
1. Alvin is just turning around and the ball is already in the TE's chest which means AK wasn't looking yet when jameis pulled the trigger.
2. If we rewind the ball back to Jameis's hand Taysom is also not out of his break and looking for the ball either when Jameis pulls the trigger.
3. Hits dude right in the chops. Maybe a little bold of a throw but it was on the money

1. Alvin is just turning around and the ball is already in the TE's chest which means AK wasn't looking yet when jameis pulled the trigger.
2. If we rewind the ball back to Jameis's hand Taysom is also not out of his break and looking for the ball either when Jameis pulls the trigger.
3. Hits dude right in the chops. Maybe a little bold of a throw but it was on the money
It really wasn’t the right choice. All three defenders are converging on Trautman before Jameis even winds up to throw. They’re all reading his eyes trying to get a pick. The cornerback even leaves Taysom Hill when he looks at Winston. If he’s smart he would look at Trautman and get them to crash on him then throw to Kamara. It’s simple, but he prefers to force the throw in there. That’s not on Trautman.

Mostly lack of receivers.

The rest - inconsistent o-line play, conservative play calling, travel fatigue, are secondary to the main issue. We have no receivers right now that would better than a #3 on most other teams.

Top it off with Winston’s highly justified risk averse attitude ( with a small few exceptions). And the passing game is not clicking.

csp being ticked off that winston threw a td pass is something i cant get over.

He didn't throw a touchdown pass. He threw it away. But Callaway went up and got it. If Callaway could go up and get it maybe the defender could have. Payton told him if you're going to throw it away, throw it away. Just because a mistake works out doesn't mean it's not a mistake. You probably aren't used to coaches being as thorough as Sean Payton.

He didn't throw a touchdown pass. He threw it away. But Callaway went up and got it. If Callaway could go up and get it maybe the defender could have. Payton told him if you're going to throw it away, throw it away. Just because a mistake works out doesn't mean it's not a mistake. You probably aren't used to coaches being as thorough as Sean Payton.

its a td pass and it was on 3rd down, with a shaky kicker lining up to kick if that throw isnt completed.

why is sean payton angry that winston threw a td pass, at worst you get mac jones on the 20 when he wasnt moving the football at all

why pull winston in the 4th quarter after winston picked up 2 huge 3rd and longs.. feels like he wanted taysom to score a td for some reason

maybe the defender could have.
I watched that play like 20 times... And I honestly don't know how absurd that play is... Mahomes Pass or not. I don't know how to react to it other than... Kamara whiffed on that block hard. Winston got lucky and able to do perfect high point pass. It's almost textbook perfect.

Weird stuff, but it be nice if he stopped. Also, be nice if the blockers stop Whiffin. Every time they whiff. It's disasterous whiffs. TE, Kamara, Peat...

Winston gotten lit up these past two weeks.

its a td pass and it was on 3rd down, with a shaky kicker lining up to kick if that throw isnt completed.

why is sean payton angry that winston threw a td pass, at worst you get mac jones on the 20 when he wasnt moving the football at all

why pull winston in the 4th quarter after winston picked up 2 huge 3rd and longs.. feels like he wanted taysom to score a td for some reason
I reckon you need to take a step back and try to be as objective as possible. I mean no disrespect by this, as I understand you're a huge Winston fan, but I have read a number of your posts and they are getting increasingly fanciful.

There is no conspiracy against Jameis. Coach Payton did not begrudgingly give Winston the starting job with the intention of undermining him. He has not set him up to fail. Payton does not secretly prefer Hill to Winston. If Coach Payton went into the season with a predetermined view that Hill was a better option at QB, he'd have never had the competition to begin with. Payton has enough credits in the bank to make decisions as he sees fit without any external or perceived pressure from an organisation or an ownership breathing down his neck. Put simply, he does what he wants, which is fine because it generally comes off, but it is also why from time to time we see some absurd play calls that would appear only to make sense to him. Then again, I thought it was stupid to go back to the well with Taysom running the ball at the end, so what do I know, because it sealed the win for us at a point in time where the team was clearly having difficulty moving the ball.

You can search my full post history here. I have been an advocate for Jameis to start since Drew went down last season and the team made the decision to roll with Taysom (though I am equally respectful of Coach Payton keeping his word to Hill). In any case, I have always thought that Winston has greater upside as a pure QB and Taysom is a valuable contributor in other facets of the game.

Having said that, Winston is a flawed player. Certainly, he has tremendous upside. He has great physical attributes. He says all the right things. He spent all off-season talking about the importance of process. But when defenders get in his face, he reverts to hero ball, a lob and a prayer. It is the antithesis of process-driven. It is entirely instinctual, it is low percentage, and it will harm the team more often than it will help us. The touchdown pass today to Callaway was fortunate, not good. It is not an unreasonable criticism to say he needs to be smarter and more astute with his decision-making and that he needs to get rid of the ball more quickly at times (whether by throwing it away, or checking down to a short/intermediate option, meaning he needs to use Kamara more in the passing game).

Contrary to others here, I actually think we can succeed with Jameis. The team has not done him any favours at all with this group of receivers, for one. It is the weakest position group in the NFL and will likely remain that way until Thomas is healthy, though even with his return on the horizon, I would be looking to improve further by trading for a good #2 WR, a pass-catching TE or bringing in a guy like Josh Gordon off the street because frankly, they have to do something. I think that will help him enormously.

I also have some faith that, the more time Jameis spends working with Payton, the more comfortable he will get in this system. His confidence should grow in the same way Bridgewater's did as Payton gradually loosened the reins when he started in 2019. He still has some way to go though. And if you want to see him put his best foot forward, and give himself the best chance to get a pay cheque in eight months time which is commensurate with his ability (at least as you see it), this is the best place for him to do it. If he is to have a long-term future in the league this is the best place for him to be right now -- and whatever your personal view about that, that seems to be a view Jameis shares himself.

I watched that play like 20 times... And I honestly don't know how absurd that play is... Mahomes Pass or not. I don't know how to react to it other than... Kamara whiffed on that block hard. Winston got lucky and able to do perfect high point pass. It's almost textbook perfect.

He was trying to throw it away though. That’s why Payton was upset. He tried to throw it away but he left it up for grabs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom