Saints What is Drew saying when he says "I'm not here to make air yards" (3 Viewers)

He wants to do whatever it takes to move the ball down the field and put points on the board, not just show how far he can throw the football. That's how I understand it.
That's clearly just making excuses though. What it takes to win some games (eg Raiders) is completing passes deep down field in order to allow yourself enough time to mount a comeback.
Points on the board are just as useful as air yds if it's still less than the other team has. A 75 yd drive that takes 5 minutes with only 7 min left to play and a 15 point deficit is not good...

I think he's saying that the Saints are playing the same way they have over the past 5+ years. Take what the D gives, move down the field and score points.

Here are some stats from this morning's edition of GMFB.

Drew Brees air yards.png

Are we really doing this?

We have been playing the short to intermediate, efficient football scheme for at least the past four season. We have yet to fall out of the top half off offenses since employing that. We did quick sticks in those 7-9 seasons and it got us 7-9 seasons. Granted we used to also flourish in the immediate kill shots back when Drew was in his early 30’s. He isn’t anymore.

Yet somehow efficient ball has still given defenses fits. For the past three seasons we’ve lost no more than five games per season with this old man.

Gruden elected to take a chance on a 50+ yard field goal, rather than immediately give the ball back to Drew and chance him marching us down the field like he’d just done the series before.

We may be looking at Drew like he’s some toothless lion, but you’d better believe coaches are still not underestimating him (nor Brady) even at their advanced ages.

I’m telling y’all I think this is about timing and not his arm strength. We’ll know for certain by October.

He had a bad game, no doubt. I understood what he was saying, and was just passing it along.

No sweat. Wasn’t shooting the messenger, so to speak, but responding to Drew’s observation. I love Drew but the idea that he hasn’t sought to pad his stats from time to time is fanciful.

We could have at least attempted to score and get the ball back with 50 seconds left on that last drive Monday though. Instead, he chose to make multiple intermediate passes down the middle of the field while the clock continued to run. If that isn’t stat padding I don’t know what is.

I can’t remember the last time Drew has been questioned this hard on HIS gameplay. I’m sure it got under his skin a little he’s too competitive.

I expect a laser focused effort Sunday Night.

The problem is that enemy defenses wont even try to cover deep... we make it way too easy for them

I think if Brady had retired, Brees would have to.
Now its all about protecting his records until Brady finally falls apart

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom