Saints What is Drew saying when he says "I'm not here to make air yards" (1 Viewer)

I think he's acknowledging that the offense we are running will not be predicated on the long ball but more of a ball control offense. It requires the team being ahead in order for it to continue to function properly.

If that team was playing high shell and that's how they beat our offense, I guess that's the formula other defenses will use to beat us as well. Last week our defense was able to stop the other team's offense. This week it could not.

He's dancing around the arm strength questions he will get all season...that really flared up in the Minnesota playoff loss.

He wants to do whatever it takes to move the ball down the field and put points on the board, not just show how far he can throw the football. That's how I understand it.

He is a QB...He is here to make air yards. It's part of his job unless he is really here to hand off the ball.

Really disappointed in Drew not being humble and just admitting to it.

Who do the Saints have running deep routes getting open downfield for all these "air yards"?? Do we have a box of film showing guys running wide open and not getting the ball?? The object of the game is not about getting air yards, its about winning the game regardless of how its done, long pass short pass screen whatever. Stop getting caught up in who can throw the furthest.

Who do the Saints have running deep routes getting open downfield for all these "air yards"?? Do we have a box of film showing guys running wide open and not getting the ball?? The object of the game is not about getting air yards, its about winning the game regardless of how its done, long pass short pass screen whatever. Stop getting caught up in who can throw the furthest.

Well, they don't have anyone running deep routes because the ball can't get there anyway. The longest pass this season belongs to Taysom, the ball went about 40-45? yards in the air from where he threw it to where Kamara caught it. And would've gone further had it not been for the FS coming to meet Kamara and Taysom underthrowing it as to not get Kamara killed.

But the problem isn't not getting air yards. The problem is that there is no threat of getting air yards, which gives the opposing defense a smaller field to defend, and puts more defenders closer to the LoS.

And that is not to say you can't win games dinking and dunking, because you can. However, with the speed in the NFL, it makes it that much harder, and the better defenses are going to, if not shut you down, at least stop you enough times.

As he expanded on his air yards comment, it’s evident that SP is calling these plays, to take what the defense gives us, and in return they are controlling the clock (TOP). Which is not a bad thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom