What is Hillary Clinton's greatest achievement as Secretary of State? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
As she departs the Administration, what do you think is her legacy, her lasting achievement, as Secretary of State?

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As she departs the Administration, what do you think is her legacy, her lasting achievement, as Secretary of State?
Part of the problem we are hamstrung with is the cultivated notion that infects conventional wisdom that every Cabinet member has to further a messianic mission on their tenure and acheive some great global boondoggle. It send these people scuttling around the globe looking for some problem to solve so they can have a legacy, like the overzealous boy scout who tries to force the old lady across the street, when she didn't want to cross...

How do you feel about the legacy of the last foreign minister of Canada?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think we occupied any new countries in the last four years.
Not saying it counts, but we did assist in the bombing of Libya and for all of the talk about getting out of Afghanistan, we still have a footprint there. Not to mention Gitmo still being in operation.

Regardless, when was the last time we actually occupied a country?

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
  • Assisting Libya overthrow Gadhafi without a single American casualty.
  • Assad is on his way out in Syria thanks to her policy of isolating him and gradually squeezing him out, again without the loss of American lives.
  • Preventing all-out war in the Gaza strip late last year, getting the new Egyptian President to throw his support behind peace with Israel.
  • Pwning Republican Senators last week during questioning concerning Benghazi.
  • Text from Hillary tumblr.

Really, Obama seemed to be very hands on with Foreign policy compared to GWBush. While Hillary certainly spent her fair share of time on the road, it seems that there were never any real "wins" that were 100% Hillary. Instead, she seemed to be more of a gardener, constantly tending to building and nurturing relationships which has served her well. Despite mediocre approval ratings for Obama, Hillary is practically a rockstar. She's become the James Baker of the Left.

MLU

Reaction score
Not saying it counts, but we did assist in the bombing of Libya and for all of the talk about getting out of Afghanistan, we still have a footprint there. Not to mention Gitmo still being in operation.

Regardless, when was the last time we actually occupied a country?
If you ask Afgani's and Iraqi's, we currently occupy two of them today.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you ask Afgani's and Iraqi's, we currently occupy two of them today.
They would be wrong. We've never taken over their government and our military has always had a fairly small footprint other than the initial invasion of Iraq. My definition of occupying a country means taking over their government and restricting the movement of civilians, which has never been the case.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's difficulty semantic gymnastics not to call it an occupation of Iraq. Especially when you compare it to late 40s Japan which was clearly called an occupation.

MLU

Reaction score
They would be wrong. We've never taken over their government and our military has always had a fairly small footprint other than the initial invasion of Iraq. My definition of occupying a country means taking over their government and restricting the movement of civilians, which has never been the case.
And we feel that your personal definition is what we should all be using?

ArmoredNOSaint

Metroplex Who Dat
Reaction score
Hillary's political career has been the result of her being the aggrieved party. Her Senate seat was her reward for standing by Bill through that whole Monica thing and Secretary of State was her consolation prize for having her inevitable coronation brought to a screeching halt by Obama.

As for her actual accomplishments, few politicians are more overrated than Hillary. From HillaryCare to Benghazi, there's not a whole helluva lot she can point to on her record that's in any way positive.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's difficulty semantic gymnastics not to call it an occupation of Iraq. Especially when you compare it to late 40s Japan which was clearly called an occupation.
I honestly don't get it. How did we occupy Iraq? We never took over their government at any point that I'm aware of. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what an occupation is. Is it not what I described in my previous post? What am I missing?

FWIW, while I supported the Iraq war in the beginning, when it became clear that the WMD pretext was faulty, I stopped supporting it. Looking back, that was a bad mistake because we really needed to focus on getting OBL and would have saved 10 years of hunting him down.

I'm gonna read up on post-war Japan because I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for that tip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom