What is the best possible way to solve our TE problem (1 Viewer)

I dont actually remember EJ catching too many balls. I do, however, remember him tipping a couple balls in the air to be picked off.

That was the Texans game....you only remember the Texans game? the guy had over 40+ catches...his YPC was 7.0 or so, thats was the problem, Miller stretched the Defense while Johnson caught all the check downs.

Craig Stevens, TE, California

Analyze this
Assessing the winners, losers at scouting combine

Surprises

Craig Stevens, TE, California: Stevens is considered one of the better blocking tight ends in the draft but a minimal receiving threat. His 40 time of 4.65 seconds and outstanding pass catching workout now have many rethinking that opinion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nalysis/1.html

Cal TE Craig Stevens Opens Eyes

I've now heard the name of Cal tight end Craig Stevens more times here in Indianapolis than I had all through the 2007 college football season.

There seems to be a growing consensus that if you're a team looking for a tight end who blocks first and catches passes second, Stevens is your man. He put up 27 reps on the 225-pound bench press, making him the strongest tight end at this year's Combine, and he's one of the few tight ends around who actually considers himself primarily a blocker. Coaches love tight ends who love to block.

The only question is just how high a draft pick a blocking tight end is really worth. Yes, Stevens can catch passes; he's scoring a 21-yard touchdown against UCLA in the photo. But he never caught more than three passes in any one game in his college career, and most teams think a tight end who's purely a blocker shouldn't be a first-day pick. But the team that drafts Stevens will have a guy who can step in and contribute in short yardage immediately.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...ns-opens-eyes/

Projected Round Middle 6, 7: TE Craig Stevens (California): Good in-line blocker who can make the tough catch.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=15223

Snag him in the 5th

I thought the guy last year did well, if no DT at #10 swap picks with

Giants and get Shockey
Mike Ditka, get off this board and take that lame *** Kuharich with you. this has you guys written all over it!!!!!:ezbill:

What do you guys have against Eric Johnson? I thought he did a really good job on the field last year...can anyone enumerate the issues with him aside from the injury concern?
He appears to coat his gloves/hands with Teflon prior to taking the field. The stuff then migrates up his arms because both balls and tacklers seem to slip by him with amazing ease.

We can always sign Hilton of the VooDoo for depth.

i like the idea of signing troupe, resigning miller, and taking a guy in the second day

Signing Moss will negate our TE prob.

Line-up Moss,Colston,Meachem

put Reggie in motion

then watch our opponents DC pass out.

Sounds like ole mousers run and shoot to me. A failed offense as it was deadly for the QB who got killed.
Kris

That Keller kid reminds me of KII for some reason... :shrug:

Not in attitude ordisposition, but his skillset. He really tore it up at the combine.
:9:
very impressive combine....all the Boilermakers did well......we like boilermakers on the Saints:mwink:

I think Fred Davis from USC 6'4 245 Sr. is the best in the draft. Although he's ranked 2nd best behind Dustin Keller from Purdue. He may be attainable with our 3rd round pick.

CAREER: His 117 career catches (12th on USC's career receptions list), 1,408 career receiving yards and 13 career touchdown receptions are records for USC tight ends. He has 3 100-yard receiving games in his career (all in 2007). He has caught a pass in 17 consecutive games (including all 13 in 2007).

2007: Davis, a good blocker and an effective, speedy downfield receiver, had an all-star season while starting for his second year at tight end as a senior in 2007. He won the 2007 Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end (USC's first-ever recipient). He was named to the 2007 The Sporting News All-American first team (USC's first All-American tight end since Jim Obradovich in 1974), Phil Steele's All-American first team, AP All-American second team, SI.com All-American second team, Collegefootballnews.com All-American second team, Pro Football Weekly All-American honorable mention, All-Pac-10 first team, ESPN.com All-Pac-10 first team, Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first team, Rivals.com All-Pac-10 first team and Phil Steele's All-Pac-10 first team. Overall in 2007 while starting all 13 games, he had 62 receptions for 881 yards (14.2 avg.) and 8 TDs, all team highs. He also made 2 tackles. He is the first tight end to lead USC in receptions in a season since Joe Cormier in 1985, in receiving yardage since Hoby Brenner in 1980 and in TD receptions since Antoine Harris in 2000. His 14.2 average per catch in 2007 was second best among the nation's tight ends. His 62 catches in 2007 is tied for 13th on USC's season receptions chart and is a record for USC tight ends (as are his 881 yards and 8 TDs). He was USC's Co-MVP. He was a Senior Bowl invitee. He had 2 catches for 39 yards versus Idaho, 3 catches for 38 yards at Nebraska. Against Washington State, he caught a career-high 9 passes for 124 yards with 2 touchdowns (6 and 14 yards), all game bests (the yardage was the most ever by a USC tight end at the time and the receptions were 1 shy of the USC tight end record set in 1996) to earn John Mackey National Tight End of the Week honors. He had 4 catches for 72 yards at Washington, then had 5 catches (including a 63-yard TD) for 152 yards against Stanford to up his USC game record for receiving yards for a tight end. He had 6 catches for 63 yards, including a 25-yard TD, against Arizona, then a game-high 5 receptions for 40 yards at Notre Dame, including a 10-yard TD catch. He had an 11-yard reception at Oregon, a game-high 5 catches for 31 yards against Oregon State, 4 catches for 54 yards at California and 5 receptions for 119 yards (with a rambling 34-yard TD) at Arizona State. He had a game-best 6 catches for 41 yards, with a 12-yard TD) against UCLA. He had a game-high 7 receptions for 87 yards (with a 2-yard TD) against Illinois.

what do u all think?

I still dont see the problem at tightend, were probably gonna resign either Johnson or Miller or both we still have Campbell, then we got Troupe in here 6'4 270pd who they may invision as the "complete" tightend for this offense (blocking and recieving) so its really not a matter of "what are we gonna do" its just us waiting to do it.....I dont anticipate any "problems" with the Tightend position....those are 4 options right there.

I don't see a problem at tight end, only an opportunity to UPGRADE. UPGRADING makes us a better team. Free agency is the time to make things that can be made better BETTER.

We can definitely do that at TE should we sign a top tier TE. If an available FA TE is better than one on our roster, we nab him. If he's equal and has a chance to compete, he'd be worth the signing at the right price.

Nothing wrong with signing Troupe, or maybe Crumpler, while he was available at one time. Shockey would only be a valuable trade at the right price. A first rounder is out of the question. Troupe would be my first choice. He has more upside than the other two, I believe. He does fit the mold of a player that could come in here and do well.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom