What is the best Simon and Garfunkel Song (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I stumbled across Slip Slidin Away a few weeks back, that song is great, and made me think a lot about this quarantine and my interactions with my kids and my coworkers, and just about life in general. Paul Simon hit it out of the park with that one.

On his (PS) own though, it’s like Kodakrom, Slip Slidin Away, Mother and Child Reunion, and Late in the Evening. Those guys are a national treasure.

I'd probably pick "I Am a Rock" if I was forced to pick a favourite, but I'm a big fan of most every song they did. YES spoiled "America" for me, though. I can't listen to the Simon and Garfunkel version because I like the YES version so much better.

However, unlike my wife who doesn't like Simon's solo work, I actually like Paul Simon's solo work better than the Simon and Garfunkel songs. He's a gifted song writer. To me, he only got better the longer he did it, which is a rare thing. Most song writers run out of ideas and either crank out stale repeats of themselves or stop writing. Simon just kept growing and got better as he went.

"Duncan" is one of my favourite Simon songs, along with "Slip Slidin' Away", "Kodachrome", "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" ...and a lot of others.

Didnt see anybody mention The Dangling Conversation....love that one

And this live version of For Emily is one of the few times where (IMO) the live version of a song is far superior to the recorded version

always a sign of incredible talent when you like a live version better.

and as a side note, those are really great quarantine cuts.

Sound of Silence
I Am A Rock (very relavant these days!!!)

Another aspect of Sound of Silence, that I never picked up on, despite listening to Rush's "Spirit of Radio" many, many times, the lyrics:

For the words of the profits
Were written on the studio wall
Concert hall

And echoes with the sound of salesmen
Of salesmen, of salesmen

Were a homage/parody of Sound of Silence

I always liked the Bangels version of this. I knew it was a cover, but I never realized it was a S&G song. Thanks for that.
I always liked that version as well, and it wasn’t until about 10 years ago (when listening to S&G on Pandora) when I heard the S&G version. At first I was like, that great that those guys covered that Bangels song.

Hearing 50 Ways on the radio is one of my earliest memories as a human.. the rhymy lyrics: “Slip out the back, Jack.. Make a new plan, Stan” were very appealing to a 3 yr old.. i also remember Slip Sliding but to me it was a song about sliding around my grandmother’s linoleum floor in my socks.. Yeah.

Other very, very early in life songs that were my favorites were Dream Weaver, and Rhinestone Cowboy.. I haven’t looked it up, but i would guess each of those songs were released in either 1976 or 1977.

Ha! I was geekin out to the Kodachrome album and Gary Wright back in 1976, I bought the Gary Wright album with lawn mowing money....thankfully it was short lived....In 1977 I bought Paranoid by Black Sabbath...I never became a big metal fan though...but my musical tastes began to clarify a bit starting back then....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom