What is the max cap number you pay Jameis? (1 Viewer)

What is the max per year you pay Jameis?

• 5mil

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • 7.5mil

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • 10mil

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • 12.5mil

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • 15mil

Votes: 56 21.6%
  • 17.5mil

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • 20mil

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • 22.5mil

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 25+mil

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 26 10.0%

• Total voters
Mariotta, Foles, Fitzmagic, T Hill make 7.5-8.8M while Bridgewater, Carr, Brissett make 21-27M avg/year.

I voted $15M/yr because I think some desperate team besides the Saints is going to offer him that much. I see the Saints signing him for $10-12M/yr.

I’m thinking they will try to sign him to a creatively structured contract in order to minimize the cap hit as much as possible for the 1st couple of years.

Which is exactly what my idea proposes. It gives hi a guaranteed 14M cash this year. but with a minimum cap hit with the promises of much more based on 2021 performance.

I'm sticking with my original 2-year estimate of 14-20 with incentives, with at least 14 guaranteed. However, they may add a third-year team option just in case.

Last edited:
The contract will be short term in case he doesn't perform well. Most likely a 3 year incentive laden deal in which they can get out of it after the 1st year. Of course if he plays well then he can cash in.

Such a tough question, because he's gonna be on a Drew Brees 2006 type deal. A lot of exit windows, incentives, and etc. His 1st year will be under $5 million if I reckon we get a deal signed before he hits FA.

The contract will be short term in case he doesn't perform well. Most likely a 3 year incentive laden deal in which they can get out of it after the 1st year. Of course if he plays well then he can cash in.
They can't give out that deal. He'll probably be a 5 year deal with a window to exit after two years.

I went with $5M and would structure close to this: 4 year deal with the 4th as a void. $2m guaranteed Salary for 2021, with $12M signing Bonus (spread out over all 4 years at 3 per) that gets the $5m Cap hit). Add in an incentive clause worth about $5M based on starts and making the playoffs if he starts 75% of the games (that wouldn't be charged until 2022). In 2022 a $7-8M salary with a large roster bonus (neither guaranteed). That pretty much ensures that he will have to beat out Taysom or a draft pick in camp this year or get released after the 2021 season. If he does play well enough to stick with the team for 2022 then Loomis can do a restructure next year to spread out that roster bonus if needed.

This deal guarantees him $14M this year with the chance to make a lot more next year without hamstringing the Saints if it doesn't work out. I might even guarantee 2022 salary for injury.
This is like going to a Bentley dealer and stating "I'd like a new 2021 Bentley. I'm going to offer you $17,000 for it as I don't want to strain my budget."

That offer above isn't even in the same stratosphere as current starting QB market. There are other spot (Indy, Pittsburgh?) that will likely have openings and have cap room to shop at market prices (Bentleys BTW start at $180k).

If I were Winston's agent, I would have hung up the phone after the first sentence.

SFIAH

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom