What is the max cap number you pay Jameis? (1 Viewer)

What is the max per year you pay Jameis?

• 5mil

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • 7.5mil

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • 10mil

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • 12.5mil

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • 15mil

Votes: 56 21.6%
  • 17.5mil

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • 20mil

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • 22.5mil

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 25+mil

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 26 10.0%

• Total voters
17 Mil

You guys know that they can sign Jameis to a contract that guarantees $30M a year but a cap number of only $4M in 2021, right?

You guys know that they can sign Jameis to a contract that guarantees $30M a year but a cap number of only $4M in 2021, right?

You will also eventually pay that and it will affect the talent on your team. Hold off 30mil for 2 years and see what it does to you in year 3. It's really bad if he's cut, no more delaying tactics then.

Last edited:
It's going to be more than what Taysom is averaging so I believe $15 million avg in this contract and may be for 2yrs....so a 2yr $30 million dollar deal.

You will also eventually pay that and it will affect the talent on your team. Hold off 30mil for 2 years and see what it does to you in year 3. It's really bad if he's cut, no more delaying tactics then.
No, you can still delay it by converting salary to bonuses and/or extending the contract with voidable years.

I know people have a hard time wrapping their heads around this, but there's no restrictions for this. This can be done in perpetuity as long as the Saints keep planning the way they've been planning these contracts for the last 14 years.

As my father says, tomorrow never comes...

No, you can still delay it by converting salary to bonuses and/or extending the contract with voidable years.

I know people have a hard time wrapping their heads around this, but there's no restrictions for this. This can be done in perpetuity as long as the Saints keep planning the way they've been planning these contracts for the last 14 years.

As my father says, tomorrow never comes...

Until tomorrow he's getting cut, or you let him walk in FA or he retires. All that money is owed now. The more you push it back the more you lock into the player. Eventually it will affect your team.

Why do you think we are so tight against the cap the next two years?

Last edited:
Until tomorrow he's getting cut, or you let him walk in FA or he retires. All that money is owed now. The more you push it back the more you lock into the player. Eventually it will affect your team.

Why do you think we are so tight against the cap the next two years?

Except we’re going to work our way out of it. Again.

It’s true that we can’t afford to wildly spend and create a mid-2000’s New York Yankees type team. And yes, there are price points where we have historically walked away from players, so if someone wanted to offer Jameis $40 million a year, we couldn’t match.

But hitting on the QB is the most important thing in football. And outside of paying him top-5 QB money, we could easily create voidable years, etc to match any reasonable offer. And if it doesn’t work out, we do the same thing in a year or two, more likely with a draft pick since we will be selecting higher.

Except we’re going to work our way out of it. Again.

It’s true that we can’t afford to wildly spend and create a mid-2000’s New York Yankees type team. And yes, there are price points where we have historically walked away from players, so if someone wanted to offer Jameis $40 million a year, we couldn’t match.

But hitting on the QB is the most important thing in football. And outside of paying him top-5 QB money, we could easily create voidable years, etc to match any reasonable offer. And if it doesn’t work out, we do the same thing in a year or two, more likely with a draft pick since we will be selecting higher.

A "reasonable offer" is the key. I don't think the community is around 10-15 mil because they think it's unreasonable. I also don't think we pay close to that in 2021 for cap purposes (probably under 5 mil). There is a real chance Jameis doesn't work out so you can't guarantee him 30 mil/yr. Especially paying only 5-10 mill the next two years. All that void money will destroy your roster when it accelerates.

A "reasonable offer" is the key. I don't think the community is around 10-15 mil because they think it's unreasonable. I also don't think we pay close to that in 2021 for cap purposes (probably under 5 mil). There is a real chance Jameis doesn't work out so you can't guarantee him 30 mil/yr. Especially paying only 5-10 mill the next two years. All that void money will destroy your roster when it accelerates.

$30 million a year is top ten QB money. He isn’t going to get that so you don’t have to worry about it.

Beyond that, it’s hard to say what a “reasonable” offer is because structure matters so much and we do that better than anyone in the NFL.

So we can sit here in February and talk about $10 million a year or $15 million a year or whatever. But the reality is that we will always structure it in a way that we can pay it off later and be perfectly fine. If Jameis is the guy Payton wants, as all indications seem to be that he is, I just can’t see him getting outbid.

$30 million a year is top ten QB money. He isn’t going to get that so you don’t have to worry about it.

Beyond that, it’s hard to say what a “reasonable” offer is because structure matters so much and we do that better than anyone in the NFL.

So we can sit here in February and talk about $10 million a year or $15 million a year or whatever. But the reality is that we will always structure it in a way that we can pay it off later and be perfectly fine. If Jameis is the guy Payton wants, as all indications seem to be that he is, I just can’t see him getting outbid.
If Winston signs with NO (and I believe he will), I think the deal will likely be a 3 yr contract with the last year voidable for both sides, that pays like $21m, $24m, and then $30m on the voidable year. $40m guaranteed in signing bonus and salary for the first two years that can spread out the cap hit over all three years if either side rejects the third year when they get there.

If Winston signs with NO (and I believe he will), I think the deal will likely be a 3 yr contract with the last year voidable for both sides, that pays like $21m, $24m, and then $30m on the voidable year. $40m guaranteed in signing bonus and salary for the first two years that can spread out the cap hit over all three years if either side rejects the third year when they get there.

The Saint's would have an incredible time making 21mil cap space this year, even if he's the only FA they sign. Also 24mil next year will be tough. Maybe it's doable, hard to say but it will be another very tight year.

The number and length you are talking about would probably look like

2021 - 6 mil (1 mil salary (g), 5 mil bonus)
2022 - 24 mil (19 mil salary (g), 5 mil bonus)
2023 - 45 mil (10 mil salary (g), 30 mil salary (ug), 5 mil bonus)

2 years fully guaranteed and 15 mil dead money in 2023 is your only out.

The Saint's would have an incredible time making 21mil cap space this year, even if he's the only FA they sign. Also 24mil next year will be tough. Maybe it's doable, hard to say but it will be another very tight year.

The number and length you are talking about would probably look like

2021 - 6 mil (1 mil salary (g), 5 mil bonus)
2022 - 24 mil (19 mil salary (g), 5 mil bonus)
2023 - 45 mil (10 mil salary (g), 30 mil salary (ug), 5 mil bonus)

2 years fully guaranteed and 15 mil dead money in 2023.
I agree that they will load as much as possible into signing bonus to reduce the 2021 cap hit.

Saints are going to have to guarantee over $20m per year on avg. though, no matter how they chop it up. There is not an NFL starter on their second contract that makes less than $20 mil per year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom