What is the most important position to get in the draft? (1 Viewer)

Mostly all great comments.

If there is any way to get Joe- get him. Chance of .5%

After that BPA WR, offensive line, linebacker, mate a cornerback if a good one on board

Depends on FA, but overall the positions we need to upgrade and get depth in are...

OT (Armstead won't be here forever)
OG (Depends on what we do with Peat)
WR (need another playmaker, or at least someone reliable)
QB (depends on what we do with our three.. rather keep em, but Teddy is likely gone to cash in on his good play this year)

FS (Williams has one year left and is a ??? we need the insurance policy)
CB (you always look to add CB's)
DT (always can use depth, and depends on Rankin's injury).
LB (We have a lot of guys who can step up, but only one major playmaker. )

My guess is that our First rounder is either OL, WR, or a DB. Depends on who's there and where the talent is though.

I agree re:Quarterback. Brees has one more year most likely. Taysom isn't a starting QB and Teddy is probably gone. Meaning in 2021, we have no starting QB.

Some how, some way, we need to come out of this draft with a QB.

I agree re:Quarterback. Brees has one more year most likely. Taysom isn't a starting QB and Teddy is probably gone. Meaning in 2021, we have no starting QB.

Some how, some way, we need to come out of this draft with a QB.

Ok LC - let's lay it's the table. So you don't believe that's me? I am deeply hurt - lol

I'm going to go with QB. I'm expecting some hate for that answer, but that's what I feel we need. Draft isn't for THIS year, it's for 3 years from now. And THAT's what we need 3 years from now.

Dutar - Coach Pete "knows" the Saints are very aggressively pursuing Burrow. I personally do not see how we can afford it. But I'll never put it past Loomis to find a way. If the FO finds a way to get Burrow, I think that will result in a lot of weakness at a number of positions for years to come though....

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...draft players not positions.

You dont get better addressing positions. You get better addressing the players. Get the best players, no matter the position. You need a guard but, you end up with 2 amazing TEs...great! Trade one for a known amazing player at another position. Dont just take a guard. Because in the long run, you will have missed out on the better commodity. And in 3 years we're left going, that guy was on the board, we did we take that guard? He's alright but.... Please let's not go back to draft philosophy.

Dutar - Coach Pete "knows" the Saints are very aggressively pursuing Burrow. I personally do not see how we can afford it. But I'll never put it past Loomis to find a way. If the FO finds a way to get Burrow, I think that will result in a lot of weakness at a number of positions for years to come though....
I've been trying to get Onyemata to mail Joe some "supplements", but so far no dice.

Burrow would have to have some sort of abysmal combine (if he attends), or completely bomb out in interviews, which if you've seen him do interviews this season, he looks and comes across like he's been a face-of-the-franchise QB for years already. So that's not happening.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...draft players not positions.

You dont get better addressing positions. You get better addressing the players. Get the best players, no matter the position. You need a guard but, you end up with 2 amazing TEs...great! Trade one for a known amazing player at another position. Dont just take a guard. Because in the long run, you will have missed out on the better commodity. And in 3 years we're left going, that guy was on the board, we did we take that guard? He's alright but.... Please let's not go back to draft philosophy.

Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis talk about clouds and positional value when they discuss how they see and approach the draft. That means QBs, OL, DL, and CBs get elevated on their draft board.

And look at what we've drafted early in the past several drafts (the good drafts).
DT - Rankins
CB - Lattimore / OT - Ramczyk (Lattimore would've been QB - Mahommes if not for KC jumping in front of us)
DE - Davenport
OC - McCoy (2nd round but first pick)

So unless there's a WR, TE, S, LB, or RB they REALLY REALLY REALLY like, I think it's likely we'll draft a QB, OL, DL, or CB.

Burrows did say he was a long time Saints fan! But , 24th he want be there.

I'm going to rank OG as slightly higher than WR.

I think Peat is gone, and injury excuses aside, the guards got blown up in the Titans game, and the Vikings exploited the same area of weakness in the playoff game.

But overall, I'm largely in the BPA camp.

I think I prefer the money ball approach. You need to target the sweet spot, high/medium cost positions where rookies can start and contribute average or above average value if you select well. This will obviously be dependent on your draft position which will open more options. I like in order of salary cap savings QB, DE, Tackle, Guard. Any other position takes multiple years to mature or come up to speed and you lose value. My chart would look like this QB(25), DE(9), T(9), G(5) in terms of saved salary that can be used to pick up proven veterans at the skill positions where I think experience is more valuable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom