What is the NFL's Equivalent Rivalry? (1 Viewer)

No NFL rivalry can touch Lakers-Celtics.

There has never been a similar situation in the NFL where the same 2 teams kept meeting up in the Final game/series for a long period of time.

Basically, it requires a double-dynasty, from teams on opposite sides of the conference alignment.

I agree there's no cross-conference rivalry that matches Lakers - Celtics. For a while, there was Colts - Patriots and in hockey for a while there was Red Wings - Avalanche but neither of those has the longevity or history of Lakers - Celtics. Too much parity in football for two teams to be that dominant in their respective conferences for that long.

NFL Rivalries that keep it interesting:

Ravens & Steelers
Eagles & Cowboys
Cowboys & Redskins
(NFC East as a whole has all bad bloow w/ each other now that i think about it ha)
Saints & Falcons
Bears & Packers
Pats & Jets (was better in the past..)
Broncos & Chargers (also better in the past)
Pats & Colts (yet another one who was better in the past)

Emergeing Rivalry to keep and eye on:

49'ers & Seahawks

Ravens & Steelers
Eagles & Cowboys
Cowboys & Redskins
(NFC East as a whole has all bad bloow w/ each other now that i think about it ha)
Saints & Falcons
Bears & Packers

49'ers & Seahawks

Except for Pats & Colts, all of those are intra-divisional rivalries, which are a totally different thing than Lakers & Celtics.

Actually, the Lakers and Celtics met 8 times in the Finals before the Lakers finally beat them in 1985. The Celtics pretty much own the Lakers in the Finals with 9 Finals wins compared to 3 for the Lakers head to head. By the way, Lakers suck!!:mwink:

Bears-Pack is the NFL's oldest rivalry. Both teams were founded in 1919 (the Bears under the name the Decatur Staleys) and have been with the NFL since it was founded.

NFL rivalry is based on QBs.

It was colts vs patriots. All because of brady vs manning. Prior to them it was young/montana vs aikman.

Now with manning in denver and both brady and manning on the edge of retirement..... it seems like the rivalry is shifting to RG3 vs Luck or Brees vs Rodgers

There are some good rivalries but the NFL has parity and is not all about two teams because it involves a salary cap, high injury risk, and 22 starters. The NBA lacks parity because there are only 5 starters on each side so a couple stars can keep a dynasty on top for a decade, there are less injuries, and the salary cap is such a joke you can fill 60% of your starting lineup with free agent all stars in one offseason. The MLB lacks parity because there are only 12-13 starters, there are less injuries, there is no salary cap, the draft has a massive foreign player loophole that lets teams with big scouting budgets rack up more foreign talent, and even for US players the difference between top and later picks in the draft is less and players take longer to develop forcing lower budget teams to pass on high cost top draft options. The Red Sox vs Yankees and Lakers vs Celtics is not so great if you are a Royals or Kings fan.

The thing is that the Lakers - Celtics rivalry did not just start in the 80s. They played in all of the finals in the 60s except in 67 and it kinda faded a little bit in the 70s. Then it got rejuvenated again in the 80s with Magic and Bird. It kinds died in the 90s and early 2000s where the Lakers where the only good team for a while.

However, I really knew it was a huge rivalry when the Celtics became good again and made the finals against the Lakers in 2008 and saw how intense it was. You could tell how big of a rivalry it is even when the Celtics have been irrelevant for a long time.

I don't know to put a scale on "hate", but Saints-failscums is pretty big in my heart, followed by Saints-40whiners.

I'd say though that Cowboys-Redskins is the biggest rivalry in the NFL -- at least it was in the modern age (since I was born anyway). People still look forward to those games, even both those teams have sucked for 20 years.

Packers-Bears - shh, maybe 50 years ago. Nobody really seems to care about the old school rivalries.

People today care more about the TODAY rivalries. That's where I put Saints and ick dirtybirds.

I'd go Bears/Packers............of course, Lakers/Celtics will always be untouchable because of how many titles both sides have.

The thing is that the Lakers - Celtics rivalry did not just start in the 80s. They played in all of the finals in the 60s except in 67 and it kinda faded a little bit in the 70s. Then it got rejuvenated again in the 80s with Magic and Bird. It kinds died in the 90s and early 2000s where the Lakers where the only good team for a while.

However, I really knew it was a huge rivalry when the Celtics became good again and made the finals against the Lakers in 2008 and saw how intense it was. You could tell how big of a rivalry it is even when the Celtics have been irrelevant for a long time.

I would agree with that, rivalries can be cyclical. For people of my generation, they remember the Celtics/Lakers of the 80s, but younger people would not think that. When they grew up, the Celtics were not as good in the 90s-and 2000s. So rivalry was not as intense.

The Cowgirls playing Redskins/Giants/Philly is all do to the fact that most people outside of Texas hate the Cowgirls and Giants/Philly/Redskins are major tv markets, so that rivalry is built up.

To me rivalries depends on time, the players, and where you are at.

I could care less about Bears/Packers just like those fans could care less about Saints Falcons. What it boils down to , is who gets the ratings now.

(ex. Jordan's Bulls vs. Detroit of the 90's, doesn't have the same rivalry as Bulls vs. Pistons now)

Ravens & Steelers
Eagles & Cowboys
Cowboys & Redskins
Saints & Falcons
Bears & Packers

49'ers & Seahawks

I don't know about 49ers and Seahawks. They've only been in the same conference for a decade now, and Alot of my seahawk fan friends up here cheered for the niners in the bowl to keep it on the west coast. Plus, with the qb thing, Alot of ppl who love Wilson also were cheering for kaepernick b/c of them both being black athletic qb's trying to prove the critics wrong...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom