What is the reason the Saints FO didn't restructure Taysom Hill's contract during the season? (1 Viewer)

Borg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm assuming they are fairly happy with his level of play and contribution. I also suspect that Taysom is pretty happy with the opportunities SP has afforded him to get on the field.

With letting him reach the end of the season without restructuring his contact, it now opens him up to getting poached by some other teams.

Just a little curious why he wasn't locked down during the season so it didn't reach this point.

Maybe they tried and Taysom declined so he could test interest? Maybe the Saints figured since he's a RFA, they could keep him one more year, and if not get a first or second round draft pick for him, and wish him well.

Any insights?

Restruction a contract that pays him $600,000...why would the Saints restructure that, it benefits them, he's the #3 QB.

This upcoming contract will reflect his value to the Team as I'm sure they will pay him like a QB who they see as the potential replacement for Drew Brees (if Teddy is not resigned).

Because a lot of players don’t want the distraction of contract negotiations during the season. Also, the better he plays the more he’s worth.

I think it's because he's a Restricted Free Agent. Saints hold all the cards. If they offer him $4M, it's a first round compensation if someone else signs him, plus Saints get right of first refusal. There's no need to do anything during this past season.

You can't restructure a contract that is about to expire, there has to be additional years on the contract for the money to be shifted around to.

I believe what you're looking for is why didn't we EXTEND Taysom Hill during the season, the answer to which is what SaintRob said above: no need to extend him early when we will have first right of refusal AND potentially heavy compensation tied to him if he leaves. We hold all the cards with Taysom.

I thought the team has said in the past that they don’t do contract negotiations during the season. Am I wrong?

man a first round compensation would be killer if someone wants him

I think he is starter quality, he is aging and wants to be in a starting QB role, so we have to pay him or let him roll.

Really dont want to see him roll because I love yelling his name out when he is on the field!

I would love to keep TH7 in his current role but if a team wants to pony up a 1st round pick that could possibly be used in a blockbuster trade to land Burrow, I wouldn't look back. TH7's biggest bang will come with the Saints with Payton using him exactly how he has been using him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom