What is the rep meter? (2 Viewers)

kenny59715

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Just noticed a rep meter under my name....what is that for? How does it change?

People can give you positive and negative reputation based on what you post. If they like it, they will probably give you positive reputation. It they don't, you'll get negatives sometimes. Sometimes you may not get any at all. You can do the same to other people 10 times a day. Its that little button under your name with the check and the X.

See the little box that is under your name that has a check mark and an X in it. If people want to, they can click that box and either add or subtract "reputation" from you. As people add or subtract, your "power" goes up and down.

Personally, as I have said in another thread, I hate that feature since if you are a popular poster or if you have a view different from others your "rep" is either high or low.

EDIT: beat me to it p0pe
I guess a positive is that all falcon fans will be in the negative so you can pick them out easy.

Last edited:
I am counting on people to be honest when giving out Rep points. I will be monitoring it to spot any pranksters going around giving people negative rep pts for kicks. Hopefully it works as intended, for the betterment of the community.

I am counting on people to be honest when giving out Rep points. I will be monitoring it to spot any pranksters going around giving people negative rep pts for kicks. Hopefully it works as intended, for the betterment of the community.

Cool. Like a said in another post, the people on this board are for the most part different than other forums that I attend so it may work out.

I think people need to respect other people's opinions and not necessarily give negative reputation for it. I can imagine a few situations where if you don't agree with the majority of people on the board then you will get a ton of negative reputation.

It might even happen with some of the joke posts around here where some people get mad and don't realize that it's satire, although I do think it will more than balance out from people who actually get the joke and give positive rep.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hmmmm...this should be interesting.

Pros - The system will be nice to get positive feedback for a good post.

The system will reward those who post frequently

The system will curb frivilous posting or unwarranted criticism.

Cons - The system may curb someone from being honest for fear of retribution from a fellow member.

The system will allow newcomers and others who don't value forum reputation to sabotage the system.

Just some preliminary thoughts. Will be fun to see how this works out!

Yea Andrus, many of the other unmentionable groups that I belong to have done the rep. ratings and they've worked out great.

Will ppl get banned for an ultra negative rep and what about some sort of super fan status for others with extremely high reps?

I notice the post totals are back.

Seeing Andrus with 90 posts gives some indication about the accuracy. :)

Padding post totals by posting a single-character response on every thread will get you canned. Quick. :)

On every other forum I've ever been on that uses rep, it doesn't work too well. It seems like a good idea but in practice it sorta falls apart. You end up having a few guys that think they're supposed to be the board police and go around handing out neg rep for nothing. I haven't looked at the system here but hopefully you have to leave your name when you give somebody rep. Anonymous rep is a real problem.

Yea Andrus, many of the other unmentionable groups that I belong to have done the rep. ratings and they've worked out great.

Will ppl get banned for an ultra negative rep and what about some sort of super fan status for others with extremely high reps?

Good Question. Saint by the Bay set up the levels for the Rep feature and off hand I don't know the ranges or levels. I am sure that if someone is getting consistently negative feedback it will draw our attention and cause me to take a hard look at the member in question. I really don't like banning passionate Saints Fans. I actually hate doing so, but anyone that is an obvious detriment to the community won't last anyway.

Hmmmm...this should be interesting.

Pros - The system will be nice to get positive feedback for a good post.

The system will reward those who post frequently

The system will curb frivilous posting or unwarranted criticism.

Cons - The system may curb someone from being honest for fear of retribution from a fellow member.

The system will allow newcomers and others who don't value forum reputation to sabotage the system.

Just some preliminary thoughts. Will be fun to see how this works out!

Well, I am unsure if this rep system is setup the same as on other boards that I am a part of, but if that is the case, then rep from someone with low rep is less valuable than rep from someone with tons of rep. This eliminates the newbs and low rep people from going on a neg-rep crusade.

This makes it a con as well though because all it takes is one high repped poster to blast a newbie or low repped person down really far. On one of the other boards I am part of, this creates a feeling where new people are always in fear of angering the more popular posters.

I have faith it will work out well here because the board is moderated well.

People can give you positive and negative reputation based on what you post. If they like it, they will probably give you positive reputation. It they don't, you'll get negatives sometimes. Sometimes you may not get any at all. You can do the same to other people 10 times a day. Its that little button under your name with the check and the X.
Thats great, now we can keep a tab on those negative post people who no matter how optomistic a fan is on this board have to come in and rain on everybodys parade and call it there opinion.

The rep system works quite well on smaller message boards, where everyone knows everyone. This message board is much bigger then the other ones that I have frequented that use positive and negative rep.

Some problems:
Some people just don't like each other and will give each other negative rep daily. People are afraid to post what they wan't to say in fear of having their rep tarnished, although after a few months people just stop caring about their reps and start saying what they want to say again. Then you have other people which pride themselves on getting as much negative reputation as possible which becomes quite aggrivating after a while. Constantly trying to stir up the nest. Then you have your other group who say whatever they need to say to get positive rep.

One thing that I have noticed on this board is the speed and fairness of the moderators. I'm sure when things begin to get out of hand the mods will set things straight. Maybe a sticky should be added about the "etiquette" of using the repuatation feature. It may help out a bit.
Just my thoughts.
~Matt

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom