What is the Saints' Plan for 2017 - One Last "All In" Season with Brees? (1 Viewer)

Nemo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The 2016 season is toast. Marginal team to begin with, mountain of injuries, a tough schedule and now the 0-2 start. Hopefully they finish with a top 5 draft pick and don't win 2 or 3 meaningless games at the end only to finish with 7 wins and picking in the teens. All the talk of "momentum" going into the next season; has not translated into anything for the Saints. And next year there are going to be some major talents in the top 5, including DE, QB and RB (LF, who may be the next AP).

The question in relation to Brees' contract- is it structured to be a one-year scenario, or is it possible that he could play the second and third years of the contract. For example, say they make a good run but fall short of the SB. Are they able to exercise options for the next 2 years if Brees' play does not decline and they think they can make another run or two?

They'll probably bring in some high priced free agents who will either get injured or never live up to their expensive contract.

They're going to review the tape and clean some things up.

Whenever I hear him say this I picture 4 guys in a film room watching the game and then sweeping and mopping the floor. Problem solved. What exactly they clean up is never mentioned....nor apparent.

They will sign another kicker after an all world workout.

According to an unknown source our first round draft pick and high priced free agent are already injured for the 2017 season.

Idk. But I know at this rate we'll have a top 5 pick , our Cap will be waaaay up , Jimmy Graham will be a free agent via cap casualty , Our offense line will be much more experienced , and we'll hire another DC.

Same answer as the last 5 years. We never have a pass rush, and yet have kept the same DLine coach. We always have kicking problems, but have kept the same ST coach.

If we *finally* make the front office moves necessary, maybe I'll be more optimistic for 2017.

I agree with what is being said above; not only do the Saints have to bring in new faces (especially on the defensive side, DB and pass rush DE), but they have to find the right players who are worth the draft slot or free agent dollars. Their batting average has not been very good of late on either side of the acquisition process.

I also think they need to upgrade the special teams coaching (or ST have been anything but special in any phase, other than Morestead's steady punting). I would like to see another "change agent" defensive coach come in (like a Greg Williams) but it seems unlikely that Payton will dump his buddy (Dennis Allen) after 1 year as DC, especially given the rash of injuries. But Bill Johnson and Joe Vitt need to be replaced as position coaches on the defensive staff. Doubt that will happen though, given the buddy factor.

Idk. But I know at this rate we'll have a top 5 pick , our Cap will be waaaay up , Jimmy Graham will be a free agent via cap casualty , Our offense line will be much more experienced , and we'll hire another DC.

Why do people keep bringing up Graham coming back as a real thing? The reason he isn't here in the first place is because he was a whiny punk about the WR/TE thing.

Here is something new that we haven't yet tried: trade down in the 1st round, accumulate draft picks and address the multiple needs on this below average roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom