What is the vendetta against Jeff Duncan? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I know a lot of readers was not a big fan of his content over at Nola.Com or the Advocate or whatever they call it now. But it looks like to me his isn't respected by the other local media member as well.

Tacoes

This Space Available
Reaction score
I don't see anything in the post that you responded to that indicates the person wasn't calm.

Apparently, "calm down" is internet speak for "stop disagreeing with me."

When you have an opinion as bad as MLU's, I'd want people to stop disagreeing with me as well.

texasjefe

That's how football go
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion -

Once upon a time, Jeff Duncan was a good guy reporter, standing under a tree making homemade computer videos to report to us what happened at training camp practices.

Then, to take his shot at the bigtime and build cred to sell his books, he bought into the "Payton is a gangster" canard, grew fangs, and became an anti-Payton zealot.

Then he grew even more into a villain by fully gravy training Goodell on the bounty thing.

Bountygate was about Goodell (1) Singling the Saints out for what all teams were doing with on-the-side incentivizing for fun and motivation; (2) Building the league's cred ahead of the CTE research suppression and brain injury suit trials; (3) retaliating against the Saints for butthurt Goodell's perception that Payton and Loomis were arrogant in their success - undermining Goodell's efforts to be a tough-guy cop.

Duncan hitched his wagons to Goodell, and was exposed as a total fraud just as Goodell was.

The suspensions and fines against Payton and Loomis were ridiculous - but those guys are wealthy as a result of their success. What still hacks me most today are the draft picks that were stolen from the Saints, because those were fraudulent punishments that may have potentially held the team back from greater success.

I don't know where Duncan's going next. He does not have the personality or reporting chops to be a bigger or national sports personality. He seems like he's rooted in NOLA and maybe he gets hired back by the new ownership after the dust settles.

Whatever happens, Jeff oughta (and if you are reading this Jeff) - apologize to the Saints and the fanbase for the transparently artificial attempt to use everyone to be someone and something bigger than you really were - and go back to being 2007 Jeff Duncan.

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion -

Once upon a time, Jeff Duncan was a good guy reporter, standing under a tree making homemade computer videos to report to us what happened at training camp practices.

Then, to take his shot at the bigtime and build cred to sell his books, he bought into the "Payton is a gangster" canard, grew fangs, and became an anti-Payton zealot.

Then he grew even more into a villain by fully gravy training Goodell on the bounty thing.

Bountygate was about Goodell (1) Singling the Saints out for what all teams were doing with on-the-side incentivizing for fun and motivation; (2) Building the league's cred ahead of the CTE research suppression and brain injury suit trials; (3) retaliating against the Saints for butthurt Goodell's perception that Payton and Loomis were arrogant in their success - undermining Goodell's efforts to be a tough-guy cop.

Duncan hitched his wagons to Goodell, and was exposed as a total fraud just as Goodell was.

The suspensions and fines against Payton and Loomis were ridiculous - but those guys are wealthy as a result of their success. What still hacks me most today are the draft picks that were stolen from the Saints, because those were fraudulent punishments that may have potentially held the team back from greater success.

I don't know where Duncan's going next. He does not have the personality or reporting chops to be a bigger or national sports personality. He seems like he's rooted in NOLA and maybe he gets hired back by the new ownership after the dust settles.

Whatever happens, Jeff oughta (and if you are reading this Jeff) - apologize to the Saints and the fanbase for the transparently artificial attempt to use everyone to be someone and something bigger than you really were - and go back to being 2007 Jeff Duncan.
Must be a slow NFL news week if this thread is still going. Maybe we all do secretly care. Kinda like Stephen A Smith.. love/hate.

Anyway a few recent articles on the saints. Not sure if anything would make you happy, but I don't sense any bad blood or ongoing issues. He seems to write what he thinks. Good or bad.

I'll throw in a AD / Pelicans column too.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
He seems to write what he thinks. Good or bad.
That almost sounds like you are suggesting he is a man of courage and principle. Gonna be a hard sell around people who are familiar with what he actually did when it was time to stand up. He had opportunities to be a real journalist and he wasted them in order to try his hand at being a gossip columnist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom