What is the vendetta against Jeff Duncan? (2 Viewers)

Fans give the media too much attention. In this era of saying and doing whatever it takes to get a click, no one should really care. But if hating Duncan makes you (meaning anyone who invests emotion in hating him or other media members) feel better, have at it. He, and the rest of the media (for the good or bad), are non entities to me.

He makes the attempt to be objective and occasionally plays the role of contrarian and most Saints fans can't handle anyone who doesn't pump sunshine all day...
Actually, your snarky (and incorrect) remark is exactly what alienated me from him. He's a talented writer, always thought so. But when he sided with the league in his approach to bounty gate, he made the same blanket statement about us fans unable to be objective. And this was late in the game when the Vilma trial revealed the league fabricating evidence on the fly - evidence they supposedly had when handing out the unprecedented fines and suspensions.

And don't forget who was handpicked to ask Roger the scripted question and answer a week after the NFCCG no-call Super Bowl press conference. That's right, JD.

So, just keep on taking your "sunshine pumper" cheap shots as if you and Duncan are the only "realists" on the board if it makes you feel superior. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
He pretty much never has anything positive to say about the organization. He swung and missed hard on the bounty thing by siding with Goodell. I think the consensus was he was hoping to suck up to the major media outlets like ESPN in the hopes of sticking with them but all he really did was alienate himself from the saints fan base. It was pretty pathetic actually. Which is a shame because he’s clearly a savvy football guy otherwise that seems to know his stuff.
That's exactly what happened.

New Orleans, and Louisiana as a whole really, is a very unique place. A place where people will love you like no other group of people in this world can. But, if you betray that love, they can hate you with an endless and bitter hostility that no population on earth can really match.

Duncan is a really good writer. He even participated on here for a time. But he used the bounty story to try and further his career, and climb that ladder to a national broadcasting gig. Taking the other side isn't what did it for most Saints fans. Not really. There were passionate Saints fans who bought the league's story too. It was betraying the love that he had been given for a seemingly selfish pursuit. It was the belief that he supported the NFL inauthentically for personal gain. Which shows in some of his fellow local media members apparently now jumping on the pile. And that to most fans was simply unacceptable.

I know he doesn't like to be called "Scooter"....

....so I call him Scooter every chance I get.

Also, during the Bountygate crapfest he only presented one side of the argument, the League's side. He showed no objectivity on the subject in direct conflict with his readership base. He can go pound sand; now and always.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the articles, but reading them just makes me mad again. I feel like I’m man enough to get P'Oed off at my team if they had put up $ to actually injure opposing players. However, if it was so obvious, why hasn’t the evidence been published to the public? As a fan I want to see it, so that I can process the information, get mad and hopefully move on. We all know that the league was facing a substantial concussion lawsuit and it scared the heck out of them!

If we were guilty, I’m man enough to handle it. But please show us the evidence!
There was no evidence, which is why the suspensions were vacated.

There was no evidence, which is why the suspensions were vacated.

It was all smoke and mirrors.

NFL: We have thousands of pages of testimony and proof.

Rational Humans: Where is this proof? Can we see it?

NFL: Well, maybe it's not thousands of pages. Maybe it's a lot of hearsay from disgruntled people -- but still. Anyway, none of that is as damning as "The Ledger" we found.

Rational Humans: "What ledger?"

NFL: It's a book that proves money changed hands for injuries.

Rational Humans: "Can we see it?"

NFL: Nope. We read it and then destroyed it! But don't worry about that. We have a recording of Gregg Williams saying "Kill the Head and the Body Will Die!". That obviously means that he plans to pay his defense under the table if they intentionally give Alex Smith a concussion!

Rational Humans: "I thought that was an old military strategy saying. A figure of speech that means if you disrupt the leader (QB), the people under him can't perform. I think I saw it printed in big letters in the Kansas City Chiefs defensive meeting room during an episode of Hard Knocks."

NFL: Yeah!?! Well...
INTEGRITY OF THE SHIELD!!!!

Independent Arbitrator (Tagilabue): Yeah...none of this evidence prove bounties. There appeared to be some "off-the-book" performance incentives which are commonplace but against salary cap rules. So there's that... but the suspensions are not warranted and should be vacated.

NFL: (whistles to themselves)

National Media:

And.....SCENE.

Who is the "local media" that's taking shots at him? I'd like to know-

I actually enjoyed reading Duncan before bountygate. He was never a puff-piece writer, and I prefer that. The problem for me wasn't that he took the league's side with bountygate. It is that he never really gave credence to the opposing arguments and in the process insulted anyone who didn't fall in line with what the league was saying. He basically lost all objectivity, and as a journalist, if you don't have that, you have nothing.

I know a lot of readers was not a big fan of his content over at Nola.Com or the Advocate or whatever they call it now. But it looks like to me his isn't respected by the other local media member as well.
First, he's not a Saints fan. Second, he did almost nothing to help Drew win an MVP in 2009 and 2011 (other than one article late in the year after the national narrative was set in stone). Third, he ate that fabricated load of crap the NFL spoonfed everyone that proved to be false, one by one, every shred of "evidence" and didn't do his damn job to check the veracity of the allegations concerning "bountygate".

Who is the "local media" that's taking shots at him? I'd like to know-
Cajun Cannon and a few others. There's just a bad vibe about him out here, that's how I see it.

It wouldn't have been so bad had Duncan denigrated the Saints in the early Mecom days. That would have been appropriate, now that we have Mike Detillier's candid comments by Buddy Diliberto about the incompetence of management during those times. Duncan, on the other hand, supported the balderdash promulgated by the league after the franchise turned itself around, even winning a Superbowl.

We can learn something from this. Simply put, don't rush to judgment. It's so easy to do that when the "prosecution" avails themselves of their bully pulpit, I. e., the national media. This can result in the Big Lie, as Orwell put it. (I think it was Orwell.) Bountygate was essentially a "Big Lie," told over and over by the current commissioner and his minions to the point where (probably) most people continue to believe it.

Duncan chose to believe that there was a monetary incentive to injure opposing players. As has been pointed out in this thread, evidence thereof was never produced. Indirect evidence like the lack of penalties and the paucity of opposing team injuries support the view that the Saints did NOT have a pay-to-injure program. They may have had a pay-for-performance program, which, though illegal, is far from being as insidious as a pay-for-injury incentive.

We feel betrayed by Jeff Duncan. He picked the wrong time to be negative.

During bountygate I heard Dan Patrick say on his radio show that the NFL had written Gregg Williams' affidavit for him to sign. I asked Duncan about it on twitter - he said that wasn't "real reporting" - I asked him if - as a real reporter - he would look into it. He said "I'm not a reporter, I'm a columnist" and then he blocked me, LOL.

He was so invested in the NFL's position he made a fool of himself to the fanbase/readership.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom