What is the vendetta against Jeff Duncan? (1 Viewer)

To everyone saying he is a good writer...
What about him is distinguishable? He is mediocre at best.
I'm not trying to start another argument, but I'm actually curios. I've never read examples of why people consider him good.

I actually enjoyed reading Duncan before bountygate. He was never a puff-piece writer, and I prefer that. The problem for me wasn't that he took the league's side with bountygate. It is that he never really gave credence to the opposing arguments and in the process insulted anyone who didn't fall in line with what the league was saying. He basically lost all objectivity, and as a journalist, if you don't have that, you have nothing.

^
^
This guy knows what hes talking about

I agree with the first bit, don't agree for the reasons. You can't prove that, it's just your opinion. But clearly, he didn't think the league was lying. I'm not sure how much the league was lying, vs running with flimsy evidence.

But, this is the core takeaway, that I think frames the reaction he gave.

"The scandal has irreparably damaged the Saints' reputation and embarrassed Benson in league circles. It's created the biggest public relations nightmare since the club's shameful post-Katrina dalliances with San Antonio. "

We were the ultimate feel good story from 2006-2009, and it kept on going until until early 2012. Now what do we hear from other fans? Bounty this, bounty that. Just like, what do Pats fans hear? SpyGate, Deflategate, and what do you call Kraft's thing? Hand Gate? Spa Gate? it follows a team forever. Even if it's not the full story.

In either case, he's been paid for quite a while to be a sports opinion writer. Not a beat writer or reporter. He's not always going to have a popular opinion. I remember DeShazier would write some pretty harsh stuff (until he started working for the team), but people didn't give him crap, because he had earned his cred and was "allowed" to be mean.

I dunno, I don't get bothered by that kind of stuff, unless someone is always an arse. If Sean Payton can have a 2 hour sit down with the guy and be cordial, then I don't see why we have to stay mad at him. But, to each their own.

Why does it matter what other people say? You do realize, even if we were 100% squeaky clean and had never been involved in the bounty gate fiasco, someone would be accusing us of something....or dumping on us....etc. Thats how it works when teams are successful. Maybe I'm just off beat here....but never do I care what the media says....or what a fan says. Patriots fans laugh at the people who talk crap about them, I travel there often and know a lot of them. What media or fans have to say is irrelevant to them. It doesn't matter if the media or opposing fans are praising us, or dumping on us. It just doesn't matter. Winning matters. Sitting with my family and friends, and enjoying the Saints matters. All that other stuff is just noise.

Why does it matter what other people say? You do realize, even if we were 100% squeaky clean and had never been involved in the bounty gate fiasco, someone would be accusing us of something....or dumping on us....etc. Thats how it works when teams are successful. Maybe I'm just off beat here....but never do I care what the media says....or what a fan says. Patriots fans laugh at the people who talk crap about them, I travel there often and know a lot of them. What media or fans have to say is irrelevant to them. It doesn't matter if the media or opposing fans are praising us, or dumping on us. It just doesn't matter. Winning matters. Sitting with my family and friends, and enjoying the Saints matters. All that other stuff is just noise.
Well to a point, we shouldn't. I agree. I don't listen to it. Haters gonna hate. That does come with the territory. But, I think when people want to start bringing up bounties, it does get annoying. And I'd imagine the Team cares. Imagine the merch sales that may have dropped over the situation. I mean, it wasn't just Saints fans buying jersey's, etc. Look at the Cowboys as a National Brand. Or how many Brady Jersey's are out there, because he's likely the best of all time (Even though I prefer Drew).

But, especially at the time the article was written, it looked a lot worse for us. There was real financial risk for the team. Good thing, the players pushed the issue in court to get the full story out there. Still wasn't all sunshine and roses for us, but no where near as bad.

Well to a point, we shouldn't. I agree. I don't listen to it. Haters gonna hate. That does come with the territory. But, I think when people want to start bringing up bounties, it does get annoying. And I'd imagine the Team cares. Imagine the merch sales that may have dropped over the situation. I mean, it wasn't just Saints fans buying jersey's, etc. Look at the Cowboys as a National Brand. Or how many Brady Jersey's are out there, because he's likely the best of all time (Even though I prefer Drew).

But, especially at the time the article was written, it looked a lot worse for us. There was real financial risk for the team. Good thing, the players pushed the issue in court to get the full story out there. Still wasn't all sunshine and roses for us, but no where near as bad.

I think the organization and players moved on from it a long time ago. How many of those players are even here still? We are fans....they are professionals...they process things differently. Sean? I doubt he has put it behind him, but he uses it in a positive manner, to motivate him and the team. The Sean Payton Saints always seem to respond better when it's the "us against the world" mentality.

Well, a lot of people were going off the rails. I don't recall the meat necks part, so 'll stay out of that bit.

And it's well beyond our little corner of the web.

When people think it was an NFL conspiracy, or that Goodell has it out for us, or it's all scripted, etc. C'mon.

did the NFL over react to something Gregg Williams was doing, because player safety was a big legal issue at the time? yes. did they make it up our of thin air? No. Was it exaggerated? Yes.
As you said a couple of posts down, "You can't prove that, it's just your opinion." That applies to your comments as well. You buy into the party line as well, evidently, but there is no there there.

The biggest piece of "proof" that exists was the lack of personal fouls by the Saints that year. That said, you can't prove a negative. Yes, made up out of thin air.

As you said a couple of posts down, "You can't prove that, it's just your opinion." That applies to your comments as well. You buy into the party line as well, evidently, but there is no there there.

The biggest piece of "proof" that exists was the lack of personal fouls by the Saints that year. That said, you can't prove a negative. Yes, made up out of thin air.
Which part of what I said do you specifically have an issue with? And of course, it is my opinion.

To be clear, I don't think we had an actual bounty program. What Gregg was doing was talking a bit too tough/specific, and the big play pool was the issue the NFL took too far. There was clearly no proof of targeting or intent to injure. I agree with your reasoning. That whole nonsense with the bar napkin was kangaroo court stuff.

Which part of what I said do you specifically have an issue with? And of course, it is my opinion.
Lol. That their accusations had any merit, i.e. that it wasn't made out of thin air. When you reply keep in mind that the Saints were accused of paying-to-injure, not paying for big plays which we now know was common.

Edit: I can't believe that I'm trying to defend this position to an Admin on a Saints fan forum. Just NM. I'm not going to get into it with you on this topic. Not worth it. Amazing, but not worth being banned over. <smh>

Lol. That their accusations had any merit, i.e. that it wasn't made out of thin air. When you reply keep in mind that the Saints were accused of paying-to-injure, not paying for big plays which we now know was common.

Ok, if you see, I was updating my post. I think we have a different view of "made up out of thin air".

Clearly, the NFL stretched the big play pool, coupled with Gregg's tough talk with and the allegations from a former assistant to spin a story that didn't seem to hold up to scrutiny (even though, Tags never went that far, he still blamed the coaching staff). So, we agree there. But, they didn't make the whole thing up out of thin air. There was a bonus program that wasn't allowed, and enough little things on power point slides that made it look worse (maybe a few were.. we really won't know). So, then the NFL started lumping in every single allegation like they all must be true. Once they had that little crack in the armor, then piled on. Easy to make them appear to be interested in player safety. We were a scapegoat, in my opinion. but, there was just enough there to grab on to, while they embellished a lot, they didn't make it all up. That's my point.

Edit: I can't believe that I'm trying to defend this position to an Admin on a Saints fan forum. Just NM. I'm not going to get into it with you on this topic. Not worth it. Amazing, but not worth being banned over. <smh>

Um, I'd be in pretty big trouble for banning anyone for a simple disagreement or miscommunication. That just isn't going to happen. Argue your point, it's ok. Just go back and look where I tried to clarify.

He makes the attempt to be objective and occasionally plays the role of contrarian and most Saints fans can't handle anyone who doesn't pump sunshine all day...

As usual, those that are negative are the loudest voices. So what if he had a contrary opinion 13 years ago? He is a good writer with as much knowledge of local sports as anyone. I might also temper my glee at someone else losing their livelihood. Not very nice.

He's also disliked because of his utter inability to take any criticism from fans on twitter. Question the premise of one of his articles? Blocked. Show him data that contradicts something he wrote about? Blocked. Pretty much anything that isn't kissing his arse and praising him for being the god of New Orleans sports media? Blocked.

He's a thin skinned whiner who always manages to find the negative and will even publish negative stories after a game like the Cincy beat down last year.

He's also disliked because of his utter inability to take any criticism from fans on twitter. Question the premise of one of his articles? Blocked. Show him data that contradicts something he wrote about? Blocked. Pretty much anything that isn't kissing his arse and praising him for being the god of New Orleans sports media? Blocked.

He's a thin skinned whiner who always manages to find the negative and will even publish negative stories after a game like the Cincy beat down last year.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Jeff Duncan once listed Drew Brees as the 2nd Best QB in the History of the NFL.

Jeff Duncan once said that the Dome Patrol was overrated.

Jeff Duncan once said Cincinnati came up with "Who Dey" before "Who Dat".

Jeff Duncan once said that the Saints should have moved to San Antonio.

Jeff Duncan once said that the Zephyrs would be better off changing their name to Babycakes,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom