what is Warford worth in trade market (1 Viewer)

rlpmd

professor and contributor
Reaction score
what did we invest in Easton for if not to be interior line jack of all trades and should be starter. Cutting Warford frees 8.5 mil and we still need to get deals done with Lattimore, Ram and Kamara. We are still in cap hell and accumulating talent for the last final push, but somewhere down the line and far away before it will be all right to quote the Wilburys. Warford should have trade value given the paucity of G talent in the draft and around the league. With McCoy and Rammer there should be no problem putting Easton in and trading Warford. If he took last year off, then who says he would not repeat that act?

So, we didn't pick up Easton to be both a jack of all trades and starter, it's either one or the other. Based on his contract, it was the former (and insurance for the center position).

Second we're not in cap hell. So removing Warford's cap number is not a critical retirement.

Having said these things, I have also wondered if Warford is a tradeable option, but I haven't seen indications from the coaching staff that they consider there to be an adequate in house replacement. Unless it's Andrus Peat sliding to right guard, which doesn't seem to match his abilities, so I'd say no.

Where that leaves us, in my opinion, is with Warford who the team would allegedly like to upgrade from, not 'live with' a lesser replacement like Easton. So I foresee that we draft a guard, or tackle who has the movement abilities to play guard for us, and give it another year with Warford before assessing again what we have.

Last edited:
We are not in cap hell..

Mickey has done nothing with Janoris Jenkins's 11+ cap hit yet, he's likely going to get an extension that drops that hit closer to 6 mil

I think last season proved why having Easton in his exact roll is essential. If we traded Warford and promoted Easton then we would need to replace Easton.

what did we invest in Easton for if not to be interior line jack of all trades and should be starter. Cutting Warford frees 8.5 mil and we still need to get deals done with Lattimore, Ram and Kamara. We are still in cap hell and accumulating talent for the last final push, but somewhere down the line and far away before it will be all right to quote the Wilburys. Warford should have trade value given the paucity of G talent in the draft and around the league. With McCoy and Rammer there should be no problem putting Easton in and trading Warford. If he took last year off, then who says he would not repeat that act?
man we have an all pro line why would you do that.

Warford’s contract was adjusted last season to give us more cap which would hurt more if we moved him. If we were going to release him the Saints would have done the classy thing and let him go already. If he were traded we would have to replace him with an upgrade which is not on the roster. So the only way he goes is if we draft a superior guard prospect. Even then his contract means we keep him and prepare the rookie to take over in 2021 just like we did with Ram.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom