What is your draft Grade for the Saints? (1 Viewer)

I'll do the past 6 years through 2019. Probably too soon to judge 2020. My methodology is complete crap...random...and not useful. Deal with it. Essentially I gave each player a grade relative to the resources used to acquire them. I created a cumulative GPA for each draft class. But I also added up the points for every class to give a "total score".

2015 (GPA 1.7, Total score 12)-
Peat: snuck into pro bowl, new mega-contract (A-)
Anthony: one year of meh production but otherwise non-contributor (F)
Kikaha: one year of average production (C-)
Grayson: non-contributor (F)
P. Williams: solid back-up at times (C)
Tull: non-contributor
Davison: solid starter, received contract from other team (B)
Swann: non-contributor
Murphy: non-contributor

2016 (GPA 3.3, Total score 13.2)-
Rankins: semi competent starter/back-up, didn't get a second contract (C)
Thomas: all-pro, new mega contract (A+)
V. Bell: solid starter for a few years, didn't get a second contract (B)
Onyemata: solid starter for years, received second contract (A)
Lasco: Non-contributor

2017 (GPA 3.6, Total score 21.5)
Lattimore: pro-bowl, 5th year option picked up (A)
Ramczyk: pro-bowl, 5th year option picked up (A+)
M. Williams: solid starter, biggest individual choke in NFL history, franchised (B)
Kamara: perennial pro-bowler, new mega-contract (A+)
Anzalone: semi competent starter/back-up, didn't get second contract (C)
Hendrickson: strong starter x 1 year, solid back up, received large contract by different team (A)
Muhammed: Non-contributor

2018 (GPA 2.4, Total score 4.8)-
Davenport: semi competent starter/back-up, 5th year option picked up (C)
T. Smith: Solid back-up/role player (B-)
Leonard: non-contributor
Jamerson: non-contributor
K. Moore: non-contributor
B. Scott: cut, but then became contributor on other team
Clapp: meh back-up

2019 (GPA 3.9, Total Score 7.75)-
E. McCoy: solid starter with potential to be pro bowler (A)
Gardner-Johnson: one of a kind, great role player (A-)
Hampton: non-contributor
Mack: non-contributor
Elliss: practice squad guy/back-up

So, based on my horrible, non-scientific "study" the 2019 draft class had the high hit rate (highest cumulative GPA), but 2017 had the highest total contribution (total score). The 2015 and 2018 draft classes are easily the worst during that time frame, scoring low in both GPA and total score.

Limitations of the study include having a difficulty determining what to do with the non-contributing later round picks, determination of the scale itself, and where some players fit within that scale.

Hard to say what is the dumbest think that has happened to the NFL. Draft grades, Fantasy Football, Madden game, or Power Rankings. NOT ONE have anything to do with how well a team will actually play in the upcoming season.

Last edited:
2017 (GPA 3.6, Total score 21.5)
Lattimore: pro-bowl, 5th year option picked up (A)
Ramczyk: pro-bowl, 5th year option picked up (A+)
M. Williams: solid starter, biggest individual choke in NFL history, franchised (B)
Kamara: perennial pro-bowler, new mega-contract (A+)
Anzalone: semi competent starter/back-up, didn't get second contract (C)
Hendrickson: strong starter x 1 year, solid back up, received large contract by different team (A)
Muhammed: Non-contributor
AQM played in the playoffs last year for the Colts (played well)

For me I dont care about second contracts but I want to see a full rookie contract play out. It's all about the value you gained by not paying a vet starter of equivalent talent.

Also I only care about rounds 1-3. Anything after that is lagniappe.

Clearly the 2017 draft was A++ value. A top 5-10 CB, T, S and RB on rookie contracts plus plenty more.

2018 still has another year of cheap labor to gain some headway.

- So far Davenport probably gave us at or a bit above his contract (~3mil/yr). Thats mainly balancing missed time with solid to good play when healthy. You hope to do better with money you pay a rookie but not a complete bust (D+). A solid year can bump that up.
- TQS has been about what I typically hope for from a 3rd rounder. Injuries have been a bit of a problem. He's giving us good return on his contract. In other words we pay him like a TLL or Carr but get more. (B)
- We didn't get any day 3 lagniappe above a replacement level contract to boost the grade.

I'll go C- for now. I dont see it getting much worse but could get better.

2019 is still early for me but the returns look great so far.

Last edited:
2018 Draft C+

Davenport B-
As a player, I don't see him as the bust many do. I think he's a very good player, that can't stay healthy. He wasn't drafted with college injury concerns (like 1st rounders Lattimore and Ramczyk), so I don't downgrade the pick for that. I do have to downgrade because of the price to move up to select him. He's been good and shown flashes of OMG, but not worthy of the price paid.

Tre'Quan Smith B+
Not a steal, by any means, but solid contributor for a third round pick. Dependable receiver that blocks well.

Rick Leonard F
I'm not prone to giving extreme grades and hoped the front office's instincts were right, but they weren't. From what I recall, the guy had the tools but not the mindset/attitude. Something the Saints seem to value greatly, they whiffed on this one.

Natrell Jamerson & Kamrin Moore C
These two and the next pick, Scott were plucked from us because when we tried to pass them through waivers or they were taken from our practice squad. A talented roster with very few slots open. Due to the interest by other teams, the picks appeared to be good at the time, but both are now free agents so apparently not NFL-worthy. For 5th and 6th round picks, though, not bad selections.

Boston Scott A-
Excellent value for a 6th rounder. Just couldn't hide him away long enough to crack the active roster list.

Will Clapp B
Solid reserve and still on the roster. Wouldn't mind that from every 7th round pick.

So, four out of seven picks are still players are still in the NFL. The grade could rise or fall after this season if Davenport stays healthy and has that breakout year we've been hoping for.

I'd probably go as high as B- because I think both Davenport and Smith have played better than people think they have. The issues have been injuries, but I can't really hold that against the team when they didn't have much of an injury history before they were drafted. Both were about to have break out seasons when they got injured. I also think that with a QB with more arm to throw the deep ball we will see some of TQS's ability to catch the deep ball.

What this thread mainly tells me is that there is no magic year or number of years in which to judge a draft.

Because after 2-3 years a lot of the players stories with the team are still being written. MD will be a Saint (barring team ending injury) for the next 2 years. What if he stays healthy and starts dominating?

Also, any 7th round pick that actually makes the team and gets playing time and contributes at all is an A.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom