What kind of oil do you use in your car? (1 Viewer)

I have changed the oil in my truck about 2 times in the last 4 years and it has about 150,000 miles on it. It hasn't broke yet but has a small leak (a couple of drops a day) a quart every couple of months satisfies the beast.

Can i switch to a synthetic oil in a ford focus that has 102k miles on it? I have changed the oil every 3000 miles and would this be recommended?

I don't see why not. When synthetic first came out, oil technology was not where it was. I remember when I rebuilt the engine in my GTO, the whole inside of the engine had a nice brown varnish covering it from the oil deposits. Even though my dad changed the oil every 3000 miles, even the best oil then was worse than the worst now. Synthetic also way overdid the detergents than also. The problem of the leaking seals, although a very legit one back then is a lot less now. The gasket materials and how engines are sealed is also so much better now than it was even ten years ago. I would find yourself a synthetic for high milage cars and give it a try. It won't hurt

I had a buddy with n Isuzu pickup, with over 150, 000, the oil was changed only about 4 times when it was bought and after that, never. Truck ran like a top, I didnt understand that

i bet if he took the valve covers off, the valvetrain would be surrounded with oil sludge.

and i guarantee he at least topped the oil off from time to time, because all oil eventually burns or breaks down, which would lead to oil loss.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom