What Makes Brees Charismatic? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Whats up Saints Fans. ATL fan here for those of you who don't know me.

I am writing a 5 page paper on charisma in the NFL and i have to use 2 social theories ( Instability of Charismatic Leadership by Weber and Collective Effervesance by Durkheim).

I am thinking of using Brees as the main person I focus on. He seems to have alot of charisma and leadership. Much like Ryan, but Ryan has only been in the league a year so he has not earned the right to have a paper written about him by me yet.

What do yall think makes Brees charismatic? I need some info on him.

I don't know much about "Instability of Charismatic Leadership" or "Collective Effervesance" but I think that Brees is perceived as being charismatic primarily due to his humility. He is the opposite of self-absorbed and never overtly contributes his success to himself. When you are a star and you attribute that stardom to others, you will be liked.

Start with the confidence angle and explore how he carries himself and how he lends focus and attention to the people around him.

Its because he leads by example. Noone works harder or expects more of themselves than Brees does. That is why he can get on other players without them getting upset, because he gets upset at himself when he messes up. He is a fierce competitor which the rest of the guys respect and he puts in the extra work, most of the time he's the first player to arrive at the practice facility and the last to leave.

Thank you for the replies. One more question....

What is the difference in Bree's charisma and Michael Vicks charisma?
They were both charismatic guys. How would you say they were different? Besides the obvious :)

Thank you for the replies. One more question....

What is the difference in Bree's charisma and Michael Vicks charisma?
They were both charismatic guys. How would you say they were different? Besides the obvious :)

This is actually an interesting question, because I will not dispute that Vick has garnered a large following.

The parallel is that both of these players stand out. They both are capable of things that most people in the NFL, let alone the average population, are simply unable to do. And simply by virtue of this fact, they are capable of captivating large audiences.

However, I feel that the (big) difference between them is the stability that Drew Brees offers. You know what you're going to get with Brees, both on and off the field. And the effect this has on how he is perceived, especially in a city like New Orleans, is enormous.

Yes, he plays football, but consider this. As far as role models go, New Orleans can be said to be lacking. Among people who have influence in town,I feel hard pressed to think of a person who is more respectable than Drew. In short, he fills a void in the city, and people respond powerfully to his high moral character, work ethic, and success on the field.

My .02

Is that Weber theory the one that Kershaw relied on in his Hitler biography?

If I remember correctly, Kershaw talked about a charismatic leader being perceived as having certain qualities, whether it's true or not.

With Drew, I think one of the sources of his leadership is his comfort with emotional situations. When Reggie first found out that Mario would be the first pick, Drew thought about how he would feel (add empathy to his qualities) and immediately got his phone number to call him to tell him how excited the Saints are to have him. Reg said it really made him feel better. Remember Aaron Brooks? Very uncomfortable in emotional situations and would display the inappropriate emotion such as when he smiled after an interception.

Brees also has a work ethic that is probably the best on the team. He leads by example, but also, it's really hard to say you're working hard enough when your leader is working harder than you are.

Brees is also optimistic. He has a belief in himself that is infectuous.

Vick? I think he's more like the person who has the perceived qualities. While he is a great athlete, we are now learning that he would never work at it because he could do so much with his natural ability. You can't lead a football team with that example because most players are just not as gifted and need to do the work. Also, look at the difference when Vick did poorly and when Brees does poorly. Vick flips off the fans. In San Diego after his first year, Brees got to work and kept Rivers on the bench the rest of his time there.

One other thing that impresses me is Brees's sense of loyalty. All his life he heard he's too small to play at the next level, and as a result, he is tremendously loyal to those who gave him a chance. He does a lot for Purdue, and we've heard how he feels about New Orleans and the Saints. When you are loyal to someone, it inspires loyalty in them.

Vick owed loyalty to Arthur Blank, his owner, but he lied to his face about dog fighting.

Those are the qualities that jump out to me. Vick may be the guy who had charisma based on perception because of his football skills. Brees has charisma based on his own hard work and his own qualities of loyalty, empathy, and his comfort with others' emotional situations.

Hope your paper goes well.

Aside from his charasmatic personality, Brees is a guy that will out work and out think everyone else. When you're in a combat situation, you rally around that type of person.

Its because he leads by example. Noone works harder or expects more of themselves than Brees does. That is why he can get on other players without them getting upset, because he gets upset at himself when he messes up. He is a fierce competitor which the rest of the guys respect and he puts in the extra work, most of the time he's the first player to arrive at the practice facility and the last to leave.

It is important to note that several players have been quoted as saying " I don't want to let Drew down". That isn't something you hear from many players regarding their Quarterbacks, maybe their coaches, but not QBs.

I remember reading an article about the Saints in which one of the players said of himself and his team mates that when they messed up on a play, they couldn't look Drew in the eye and that everyone on that team works harder because they don't want to let him down.

One of the things i like about Brees the most is how he does the pre game huddle before every game. Not only does he lead by his play, hardwork, and calmness under pressure, but he is a very vocal leader which is equally important.
When I compare Ryan to someone i always compare him to Brees and/or Peyton Manning because they all have that " i want to learn and have to learn " mentality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom