What measure makes Jameis a poor quarterback? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He turns the ball over too much and has a tendency to throw high. I know that’s probably too simple of an answer given all the “he’s basically Peyton Manning” takes, but that’s basically his issues.

I suspect the decision to start Hill would not have been so easy for Payton had Winston not looked so reckless throwing the ball downfield during his recent relief work.

Coach Sean Payton has spoken very glowingly about both of his QBs that have been backing up Drew Brees. He has been watching the progress of both Taysom & Jameis at every practice & team meeting. While he probably hoped he wouldn't have had to replace an injured Drew Brees, he had to make his decision on more than past statistics. I believe that the grasp of the offense and the amount of time working with the current offensive roster played the biggest role in Payton's decision to start Taysom last Sunday. I don't doubt any of the positive things that Sean said about Winston when reporters offered up questions about how he's coming along, but at the end of the day our coach had to weigh all the data about both players and simply ask himself, "Who do I trust more right now to get the job done?"

After the game Payton was asked about his decision and he said that it was a very tough one to make. It appears that a lot of the staff may have been on the fence about who would fill the role the best. I believe both of those statements. These two guys are both very talented and it is a close race to pick an eventual winner. But I can say that a lot was learned in the Atlanta game this past Sunday. Part of the 'experiment' (<-as so many tag this as being) was to see how Taysom would do in more than just a few cameo appearances during a game. Would he improve as he got into the flow of the game, or would he struggle trying to find some rhythm? There would be no way of knowing for sure with the small sample size that we've seen of Hill on those occasional & brief opportunities that he had in the past. Taysom probably earned a 'Good', but not 'Great' rating on Sunday. However, with the exception of his late game fumble during a truly stellar drive, there is no doubt that he improved tremendously as the game progressed... which is what Coach Payton needed to know about him.

Will Winston get the chance to show his skills in an entire game? Who can say? But for now it seems that unless Taysom gets hobbled in a game, I don't see Payton making any big changes in the lineup. If the coaching staff really believes that Taysom Hill has the potential to be Drew Brees' replacement, there's no better opportunity to prove their theory now so that there will be far less 'dice-throwing' when Drew finally does ride off into the sunset. The Saints have to know for sure what they have in these two players... even though they have already paid Hill like they have a pretty good idea. But the more they see how Jameis progresses, the easier it will be to know if Winston is part of the future of this team as well.

My popcorn is ready, and I can't wait to see how this drama unfolds in the months to come! :lurk:

I don't think Taysom getting the nod over Winston had anything to do with Winston's abilities.
I think it had a great deal more to do with Sean's faith in Taysom and what he thinks of Taysom moving forward with this franchise.

We brought Winston in at vet minimum to be a backup QB. I never seem to learn, but Sean really does do almost everything at face value. We always look to read between the lines, but he's been pretty straight forward during his tenure here.

I am thrilled with the way Taysom played last Sunday and have to admit that he exceeded my expectations. But, we need not discount what Jameis is capable of doing either. He is also a pretty gifted and smart athlete. We are fortunate to have them both.

A little more perspective on Jameis abilities:

The principal of Jameis Winston's high school, Gayle Gober, said that during his time there he was an excellent student while being a dual athlete. He was an honor graduate and was selected as a senior standout by the faculty.

The Texas Rangers selected Winston in the 15th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft out of high school. He was considered the best dual-threat quarterback recruit in the nation by Rivals.com and the best overall quarterback recruit by ESPN.

In addition to being quarterback on the FSU football team, he played on the baseball team as a reliever and outfielder. As a relief pitcher for the Seminoles, a top-level program, he compiled a 1.08 ERA, .154 batting average against, and a team-best seven saves.

No, he's actually not an idiot. He was studying pre-med when he was down at Florida State. And he kept his GPA above 3.0.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately we can't use the words "never ever". I'd say "rarely" get blow out. I may have missed a few in this list, but:

2007 - lost to Colts 41-10
2008 - lost to Panthers 30-7
2012 - lost to Broncos 34-14
2013 - lost to Seahawks 34-7
2014 - lost to Cowboys 38-17
2015 - lost to Redskins 47-14

I was at that Colts game in Indianapolis. All I can think of is Jason David....Manning was something to watch in that game though. Colts fans are pretty nice 👍🏻 though.

It takes a team to create a win.

The team did not throw thirty interceptions. And. he obviously had a decent offensive team around him or they would not have caught 5000+ yards or 32 TDs. For that, you need a decent O-Line and receiving corp.

My concern about Jameis is simple. A QB has to visualize the very complex dynamics of who is where and where they will be when the ball arrives in a split second just before he releases the ball to the intended target. James has trouble with visualizing that. And. it is wishful thinking to think this is correctable... In my opinion.

Just so there's a level field for discussion, Peyton vs Jameis - their first 5 years in the league - I posted this earlier but it was at the end of a thread. Why is the one so great and the other so bad?

Peyton Manning averaged 4,123.6 yards passing per year
Jameis Winston averaged 3,947.4 yards passing per year

Peyton 7.32 yards per attempt
Jameis 7.75 yards per attempt

Peyton avg td 27.6, avg interceptions 20.0, td/int ratio 1.38
Jameis avg td 24.2, avg interceptions 17.6, td/int ratio 1.375

Peyton avg sacs per season 21.6
Jameis avg sacs per season 33.8

Peyton avg rating 85.9
Jameis avg rating 87.4

They were both coached by Bruce Arians during their worst season for interceptions:
Peyton in 1998, 28
Jameis in 2019, 30

Peyton Manning played with running back Marshall Faulk in 1998 who was followed by Edgerrin James and two Hall of Fame wide receivers in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Winston had one wideout of note in Mike Evans but had weak support from the ground game after Doug Martin’s comeback year in 2015.

??????
Rules and regulations greatly affect objective and thresholds that are acceptable measures of performance.

Today, rules greatly favor offensive scoring and limit a lot of the physicality of defenses from years past. 30 interceptions today, is probably more like 50 interceptions in the 90s.

Today completion percentages are way up, QB ratings are way up, meaning it's hard to compare apples to apples like you have without normalizing the data to account for rule and regulation changes and factoring in the performance of the rest of the players in the league.

In 1998 10 QBs threw 15 or more interceptions; 2019 only 5.

Also factor in, that was Manning's rookie year.

Next year Brees should be June 1 cut to extend his contract overhead into 2022. If Taysom pans out this year, let him start next year. Get a good 2nd tier veteran backup, and draft a good qb in 1st or 2nd round. Bring back Brees in an advisory role or qb coach to maintain continuity in style and mechanics since Brees had the best mechanics ever in a qb.

There are IMO two reasons why Payton started Taysom. First was he needed to see what he can do in live games. There is a lot of tape on Winston, good, bad whatever. Hill, not so much, and Payton needs to know with Brees probably retiring this year. Second, Hill knows the offense, knows the players and all that. Payton also knows in practice how he can tweak the system and play all’s to his strengths. He may think he knows Winston’s strengths, but because of COVID, isn’t really sure due to lack to time

Here’s my thought on Winston. He is a smart guy. He’s tremendously gifted physically. Which means he’s never had to work hard to learn all the nuances of the position. Lord knows no one in Tampa Bay taught them to him. He’s the opposite of Brees. Brees lacks the high level elite physical talents, but knows every single thing about the offense and how to play QB, because he has had to. Winston has never been in that situation.

it’s like Sam Mills used to talk about why he was so great. At his size, and comparative lack of speed, his advantage was knowing the opponents offense as good as they did and being able to make the calls and get people in the perfect place, including himself. When/if Winston takes that step he will be in Mahomes territory. If not he will what he is. A good, but not great QB who will bounce around The league.

ccss - Are you Jameis' agent or his mother?
Not even a fan of Jameis Winston - the truth is that the guy has tons of talent and he is being thrown under the bus for no good reason. That kinda sticks in my craw and makes me wonder what the motivation could be. Some seem to actually hate him. I would agree that he is goofy and awkward but he is intelligent and obviously talented, and his coaches and teammates all speak highly of him, including Sean Payton. So, my question remains; what measure makes Jameis a poor quarterback?
That was a cute question you posed, take you long to think of it?

Not even a fan of Jameis Winston - the truth is that the guy has tons of talent and he is being thrown under the bus for no good reason. That kinda sticks in my craw and makes me wonder what the motivation could be.

Why not just say what you are thinking. Not a Fan? Well, that's believable.

Not even a fan of Jameis Winston - the truth is that the guy has tons of talent and he is being thrown under the bus for no good reason. That kinda sticks in my craw and makes me wonder what the motivation could be. Some seem to actually hate him. I would agree that he is goofy and awkward but he is intelligent and obviously talented, and his coaches and teammates all speak highly of him, including Sean Payton. So, my question remains; what measure makes Jameis a poor quarterback?
That was a cute question you posed, take you long to think of it?

Thrown under what bus? In what universe does an NFL coach owe any player the starting role?

Here’s my thought on Winston. He is a smart guy. He’s tremendously gifted physically. Which means he’s never had to work hard to learn all the nuances of the position. Lord knows no one in Tampa Bay taught them to him. He’s the opposite of Brees. Brees lacks the high level elite physical talents, but knows every single thing about the offense and how to play QB, because he has had to. Winston has never been in that situation.
I think Winston realized this during the offseason. Meaning that he understood he could no longer coast on physical gifts alone and that having a lasting career (Drew Brees) instead of being a constant joke (Jeff George) meant he'd have to swallow his pride for a while and learn how to actually be a professional quarterback. It says a lot about the guy and his attitude that he was willing to take what was essentially vet minimum to learn from the two men he thought could teach him how to improve and be the best player he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom