What NFL coach could last 20 years in his current job? (1 Viewer)

Benson won't last 20 years. That means new ownership even if its in the family. New ownership means after a down season "their" people get brought in.

There's a good chance Sean Payton won't make 20 with the Saints, but probably not because of burnout ala Dick Vermeil.

20 years with one team is a lot to ask of any head coach anymore. The pressure is extreme and the alternatives become more and more attractive. I wouldn't expect it of anyone, not even Belichick.

Speaking of whom: This article may not be particularly insightful but it was still worth opening because, unexpectedly, the video at the top of the page (for me, at least) was the segment from "Bill Belichick: A Football Life" where the Pats come to the Dome on November 30, 2009 and get pounded into the turf. You just can't get tired of watching Bill's reaction to Devery's breakaway touchdown.

According to Dan Patrick, two separate sources within the Falcons hinted to him privately that Mike Smith would have been fired if they lost their playoff game against the Seahawks. Yet he makes this stupid list right behind sean payton? Ridiculous. Payton survived the Vicodin scandal, he survived bounty-gate and even received a new contract after that. He has one of the most secure positions in the league.

Anyone who list Rex Ryan as an honorable mention loses all credibility even if it's a joke.

How many coaches have lasted 20 plus years? 3? 4?
Anyway, I think Sean will have 10-15 years in New Orleans.

Without looking at the link, Mike Tomlin comes to mind because the Rooneys are very loyal to their coaches.

According to Dan Patrick, two separate sources within the Falcons hinted to him privately that Mike Smith would have been fired if they lost their playoff game against the Seahawks.

If that is true, I don't see how he could survive another 3 years. If it wasn't for the Jets, the Falcons would be the dumbest franchise in the league.

Without looking at the link, Mike Tomlin comes to mind because the Rooneys are very loyal to their coaches.

He's also young enough to last that long, for sure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Tomlin simply because the steelers organization is a family unit that is not big on change. If Rita and Payton and Loomis all are buddy buddy I could see him possibly staying simply because he won the SuperBowl. The only other one I can see is Jason Garrett. Jerruh likes his yes man, is willing to fire everyone else but blame him and for some reason has kept him around forever. I sometimes wonder if he's not Jones illegitimate kid.

Tomlin simply because the steelers organization is a family unit that is not big on change. If Rita and Payton and Loomis all are buddy buddy I could see him possibly staying simply because he won the SuperBowl. The only other one I can see is Jason Garrett. Jerruh likes his yes man, is willing to fire everyone else but blame him and for some reason has kept him around forever. I sometimes wonder if he's not Jones illegitimate kid.

I hope the Jason Garrett was a joke. He is on such a short lease. If they don't make playoffs he is gone. Not the same case for a lot of coaches. He has absurdly no slack with Jerry if they miss the playoffs again. He got rid of Jimmy Johnson after they won a Super Bowl. If anything Kiffin has a safer job in Dallas than Garrett.

If that is true, I don't see how he could survive another 3 years. If it wasn't for the Jets, the Falcons would be the dumbest franchise in the league.

Arthur Blank is probably the one who is growing impatient with Smith. Even with last season Smith's post season record is still abysmal. Blank can see that Smith isn't a offensive innovator or has constructed a smothering Defense. Smith is on a very short leash. I imagine he might have one more season to get to Superbowl before Blank loses all patience.....

Payton won't be here for 20 years; after a certain point, he'll want to move on and accomplish new things. Hasn't he even stated as much?

I wouldn't doubt he'd go to (maybe) Dallas or Green Bay if those jobs were available and Drew were retired.

Dr Payton needs 13 more seasons to make it to 20. I doubt he will even stick around with the us or with any other team for that matter after Drew retires because I remember him saying something about retiring early and spending time with family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom