What NFL Draft Pick were you most right and wrong about? (1 Viewer)

I predicted that we would trade our 1st and 3rd to New England for their 1st and pick Sedrick Ellis. The only part I got wrong was that we got a 5th with their 1st. Beyond that I haven't really tried predicting any so I don't have a wrong one.

I really wanted the Saints to draft Vince Young in '06. He had a similar play style to Brooks and thought he would elevate the offense to new heights without having to change a whole lot. Boy am I glad I wasn't in that front office! When we signed Brees in march, I had no idea who we were getting and thought we had just missed a golden opportunity.

Brees is someone I wanted the Saints to get. There was a game he had with the Chargers where he was something like 19/22, over 200 yards and 2 TD's. I thought to myself, "it would be great if the Saints could get someone like him." Little did I know that we would actually get him so I was very happy when that happened.

And that plateau was about Mark Simoneau level...

Really have to disagree with this, Anthony's stats were pedestrian at best, started every game of his rookie season, but only started 4 total games in 4 years after that, combined with 1 sack for his career, and only 152 combined tackles. He could have been so much more...

This argument is so tired. Every failed QB is actually Drew Brees because Drew Brees took 3 years to really turn into a good starter.

There’s one Drew Brees for a reason. He didn’t get benched and play like crap his last year in San Diego. We got him because of an injury that people thought would end his career. And even though he was let go with big question marks, he was still sought after as a starter.
The question that has to be asked of you is by whom? Excluding Miami and New Orleans? Both of these teams were putrid franchises

👍 - Jimmy Graham
(n) - Colt McCoy :covri:

Pretty lazy analysis.

Brees also had 4 years of coaching continuity under Schottenheimer in San Diego.

He also had 4 years with the same OC under Cam Cameron.

Even Brees's qb coach was Shottehhiemer's son Brian.

But yeah.

Dismiss Mariota as a failure for not falling into the same cushy situation as Brees despite having superior numbers through 5 season with 4 different OCs.

Alex Smith was subjected to the same whirlwind in SF early.

Lazy is aggregating stats in a misleading manner to somehow proclaim that Mariotta leaving the Titans was similar to Drew Brees leaving the Chargers. When Mariotta had his best years matters. Their trajectories in their 5th year matter.

Mariotta was better in his 2nd and 3rd year than he was his 5th year. That's the reason he lost his starting job and was not re-signed. Brees had the opposite trajectory, putting up his best seasons in his 4th and 5th years. He was going to be the hottest QB on the market by far if he hadn't hurt his shoulder in the playoffs, and he still ended up an instant starter with a relatively fat contract (for the time) despite some questioning his ability to even play again.

Stats, to the extent they aren't misleading on their face, require context. The league was also different in 2004 compared to 2018 as far as passing stats go. QBs are more efficient out of the gate than they used to be. Mariotta's best year was his second year. By 2018, he only threw for 2500 yards over 14 starts. In 2019, he managed only 1200 yards in 8 starts and got benched. He's just a very limited QB.

Almost everyone completes 60+% nowadays and can look competent throwing for 2-3K yards, but there's a heck of a lot more to good QB play in 2021 then that.

Mariotta is a bust by the normal definition. Jameis Winston is also a bust. Busts can get 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) chances. Maybe Mariotta will get another shot, maybe he'll be a career backup. But to still pretend you were totally still right about him is laughable. We agree a lot, most recently on Mac Jones, but you have a tendency to never admit you were wrong.

Last edited:
The question that has to be asked of you is by whom? Excluding Miami and New Orleans? Both of these teams were putrid franchises

Almost all teams looking for a starting QB in a given year are bad teams. I'm not sure what your point is.

Brees has two major suitors and got a $60M deal back when that was really good money. Mariotta got signed as a backup by the Raiders and is about to be cut per reports. There's no comparison to the trajectories of the two players when they left their first teams.

Lazy is aggregating stats in a misleading manner to somehow proclaim that Mariotta leaving the Titans was similar to Drew Brees leaving the Chargers. When Mariotta had his best years matters. Their trajectories in their 5th year matter.

Mariotta was better in his 2nd and 3rd year than he was his 5th year. That's the reason he lost his starting job and was not re-signed. Brees had the opposite trajectory, putting up his best seasons in his 4th and 5th years. He was going to be the hottest QB on the market by far if he hadn't hurt his shoulder in the playoffs, and he still ended up an instant starter with a relatively fat contract (for the time) despite some questioning his ability to even play again.

Stats, to the extent they aren't misleading on their face, require context. The league was also different in 2004 compared to 2018 as far as passing stats go. QBs are more efficient out of the gate than they used to be. Mariotta's best year was his second year. By 2018, he only threw for 2500 yards over 14 starts. In 2019, he managed only 1200 yards in 8 starts and got benched. He's just a very limited QB.

Almost everyone completes 60+% nowadays and can look competent throwing for 2-3K yards, but there's a heck of a lot more to good QB play in 2021 then that.

Mariotta is a bust by the normal definition. Jameis Winston is also a bust. Busts can get 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) chances. Maybe Mariotta will get another shot, maybe he'll be a career backup. But to still pretend you were totally still right about him is laughable. We agree a lot, most recently on Mac Jones, but you have a tendency to never admit you were wrong.

Why do people keep saying this about me never admitting error?

I'm the first person to point out major errors like Paxton Lynch, Tavon Austin, and Mike Thomas even in this thread but that has nothing to do with the matter at hand about qb development.

Unlike Lynch, Mariotta has shown glimpses of potential is all I'm saying and if we are going by the normal definition of bust (3 poor seasons and done) then Brees qualifies as well.

Tom Brady only had an 88 qb rating in 2019 but finished with over 100 last year.

I can't say what caused his decline in 2019 but most recently he has shown a spark in limited action vs the Charger. At least as much as Winston who most people are ready to take over for Brees.

My brother and I had the same argument about Ryan Tannehill for years after I told him he needed developing after being a wr in college. I said the same thing about Alex Smith after he was a RPO qb at UTAH and needed practice in the pocket.

Sometimes certain QBs need 5 plus years to develop like Rich Gannon before ever hitting their stride.

Sometimes athletic QBs take a lot longer than usual to ripen than the usual player.

Some knights are better than others...

Wrong - Was pumped when we took Shawn Knight in the 1st round in 87. Boy he looked good on college... in the pros :rolleyes:
Right - Wanted Sammy Knight taken in '97. Glad we got him as UDFA.

My most proud good call is Trey Hendrickson.

Most hideously incorrect would be Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

We used to do an SR "expert" (with the "expert" part being tongue in check) mock . Here are some of the ones I felt I got right....

Rob Gronkowski
Travis Kelce
Julius Thomas
Ryan Kalil
Alterraun Verner
Chris Maragos - late rnd special teamer played 8 years won 2 SBs
Taylor Lewan

Some of the ones I whiffed on....
Martez Wilson
Dan Williams

Gonna go with Saints since I would really have to think hard about NFL wide.

Right: I would say Michael Thomas, but I didn’t think he would be this good. Same as Kamara. I would say Jimmy Graham & Terron Armstead as I knew they would both be really good 3rd round picks. Guys like Lattimore, Jordan, Will Smith, and other 1st rounders are too easy since they were highly thought of going into the draft.

Wrong: Martez Wilson! I thought he was going to be a beast like Graham & Armstead, but no I was way off. Stanley Jean-Baptiste was another and forced me to look more at game play than body makeup

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom