What on Netflix are you binge watching? (1 Viewer)

What makes Knightfall coattail BS? Or not realisticish?
from what i remember (bc i soured on it quickly) is that it just used its lore as window dressing - Knights Templar is ridiculously fascinating but they told the story like it was an ABC drama

"The English Game" was another huge disappointment in a similar vein - a show about the origins of soccer, but really they just told a domestic drama with just a hint of workers movement politics and almost zero actual 'this is soccer' storytelling

I am finishing Travelers. I started watching because of the premise (a twist on time traveling), even though the lead character is and FBI agent played by Eric McCormack, Will of Will and Grace, and it just doesn't compute.

It is 3 seasons long, 12 episodes per. The first season I thought it was good. The 2nd season, they started delving a little too much into character relationships.

The twist on time traveling is that in the future, an advanced AI is able to transmit the consciousness of the travelers into the bodies of people who are about to die, seconds before their historic recorded time of death.
same
really enjoyed the scifi device, but agreed they lost a lot of steam when the plot became about the characters and not the future political intrigue
Canadian genre shows seem to struggle the most with holding onto their premise - maybe when they get a degree of success with a writers room, they try to grow the audience and bring in 'broad appeal' writers
BBC shows seem to maintain/grow the best

from what i remember (bc i soured on it quickly) is that it just used its lore as window dressing - Knights Templar is ridiculously fascinating but they told the story like it was an ABC drama
It isn't a documentary. Saying it used its lore as window dressing, I guess you can say that about Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Saving Private Ryan, Les Miserables, Hamilton, just about every movie or play or book that tells a story within a past time period.

I liked Knightfall. Maybe not as good as Vikings, but it was watchable and I enjoyed a lot of it.
with shows that cut against the grain (which would be almost all genre shows) but even things like OitNB or Kim's Convenience or international shows like Fauda, Occupied, Trapped, Broadchurch - i want insight into these unfamiliar stories
i was looking for the intrigue into the Templar story and i did not find that

with shows that cut against the grain (which would be almost all genre shows) but even things like OitNB or Kim's Convenience or international shows like Fauda, Occupied, Trapped, Broadchurch - i want insight into these unfamiliar stories
i was looking for the intrigue into the Templar story and i did not find that

Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. It felt like the lore and mystery of the Templars was a bit of an afterthought. I thought there was a lot more they could have tapped into, but most of it seemed to only delve into that on a really basic level.

It isn't a documentary. Saying it used its lore as window dressing, I guess you can say that about Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Saving Private Ryan, Les Miserables, Hamilton, just about every movie or play or book that tells a story within a past time period.
fair enough - ish
the 'bs' comment was a bit of hyperbole, but i've clarified to Dave what it is that i'm looking for
if it's historical drama, give me historical, i can get my drama anywhere
if it's sci-fi, give me sci, i can get my fi anywhere

but also
GwtW is propaganda for a south that did not exist - not much history there
Casblanca: the war was the ostensible reason for the dramatic/romantic tension so that doesn't count
never saw Saving...Ryan - had sworn off Spielberg by that point
sure Lew Mis could have been any number of uprisings
Hamilton very clearly states that it is not a history lesson - the post-modern bona fides are clear

same
really enjoyed the scifi device, but agreed they lost a lot of steam when the plot became about the characters and not the future political intrigue
Canadian genre shows seem to struggle the most with holding onto their premise - maybe when they get a degree of success with a writers room, they try to grow the audience and bring in 'broad appeal' writers
BBC shows seem to maintain/grow the best

One side activity of watching Canadian shows, it is a modified version of six degrees of Kevin Bacon. You can always find 1-2 actors you have seen in one show on the next one. I guess they have a shortage of TV actors up North.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom