what our defense would look like (1 Viewer)

There are teams overpaying for free agents and teams that are using up their cap room on signing marginal players. For example, as much as I wanted to retain Faine in order to keep continuity on the offensive line (and few attractive options to replace him), I believe Tampa Bay spent too much to get him. Signing Samuel or Briggs would have been nice and would have settled a couple of positions for years, but signing those expensive players would have also limited the Saints' options to fill other needs or re-sign their own top players. Without regard to the differing opinions of their abilities, I think the fact that Henderson, Stecker, Simoneau, Copper and others have re-signed with the Saints says more about the condition of the franchise and the front office than a couple of players deciding to sign somewhere else. They may not be front line players, but they wanted to play in New Orleans, they like what is happening here. Some will like it, some won't and some will go for the big bucks here or eleswhere. It's the nature of the beast and I'm not going to get too worked up over it one way or the other.

One more thing. People are ready to "jump off bridges" 48 hours into free agency because they don't like the Saints' lack of new player signings to this point. Every year, players come available after free agency begins and after some teams have spent their cap money. The Saints can still be in the mix for any player they want that is free, will become free or is available in trade. I would recommend that everyone in panic mode take a deep breath, realize that the draft is still two months away and that the Saints can still make some good moves in the coming weeks. I believe the tone on here will change dramatically and positively within the week. The Saints' front office didn't just go into a shell after trading for Vilma.

I would if I didn't invest so much into this team

I know this wasn't meant to be funny and your dead serious but ..

LOOOOOOOL @ that

The Saints got stock?

I appreciate the posters that are trying to stay upbeat and move on to the draft. But I don't think that right now is the time for us all to band together and face the dark night. Right now is when we throw the window open and say we're mad as #### and ain't gonna take it anymore.

This whole free agent fiasco is about nothing but money in the pocket of Benson. New Orleans deserves better than this. First we had to endure Mecom's bufoonery and now it's Benson greed.

Season ticket prices went up too... not that I'm trying to **** you off even further... I'm just sayin...

splurge!!!! spend some money!!! Briggs right now would make our defense respectable. Without him we have a respectable Shanle, big difference.

There are teams overpaying for free agents and teams that are using up their cap room on signing marginal players. For example, as much as I wanted to retain Faine in order to keep continuity on the offensive line (and few attractive options to replace him), I believe Tampa Bay spent too much to get him. Signing Samuel or Briggs would have been nice and would have settled a couple of positions for years, but signing those expensive players would have also limited the Saints' options to fill other needs or re-sign their own top players. Without regard to the differing opinions of their abilities, I think the fact that Henderson, Stecker, Simoneau, Copper and others have re-signed with the Saints says more about the condition of the franchise and the front office than a couple of players deciding to sign somewhere else. They may not be front line players, but they wanted to play in New Orleans, they like what is happening here. Some will like it, some won't and some will go for the big bucks here or eleswhere. It's the nature of the beast and I'm not going to get too worked up over it one way or the other.

One more thing. People are ready to "jump off bridges" 48 hours into free agency because they don't like the Saints' lack of new player signings to this point. Every year, players come available after free agency begins and after some teams have spent their cap money. The Saints can still be in the mix for any player they want that is free, will become free or is available in trade. I would recommend that everyone in panic mode take a deep breath, realize that the draft is still two months away and that the Saints can still make some good moves in the coming weeks. I believe the tone on here will change dramatically and positively within the week. The Saints' front office didn't just go into a shell after trading for Vilma.

Well said, exactly my thoughts.

Richard,that is a great post but what am I suppose to read in the meantime?.........I think that is what most fans are upset about.Its more a we want to be active in FA than building a competitive product for the future.I like the way that I can hold my head high and wear my Saints garb and not have to be ashamed about our team.I just really hope that we get some defensive in the draft this year and not trade away our picks for backupsThe way I see it in my optomistic way is:

needs-

Cornerback - just a guy that has some size and mediocre speed.We don't need on of these over paid Florence type players.We just need a disciplined guy that isn't gonna get torched on every play like David,I actually think David will make a pretty good Nickelback.And I am hoping that Young will live up to the billing of a small school gem.I would really like to get DRC or another 1st rounder talent in April.

DE - We need a guy to spell Grant/Smith we can't expect them to continue to play every snap and still get pressure on the Qb.Given the length of the drives the opposition has been putting together ( poor 3rd down Cornerback play ) we need some help to rush the passer,not tired 280 plus pound run stuffing Defensive ends.

SLB backup - I love Fujita but we need a young guy to back him up,draft a guy that can play both outside positions if possible.

Safeties - From all the commentators on Sirius,safeties are what all teams are gonna need in the "new NFL" interchangable ones at that,I am not sold on either Harper or Bullocks,although serviceable they need some competition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom