What Patriots fans think of Gay (1 Viewer)

I'll throw some extra crow in the freezer for after the season for this thread.

Uh, at the price we signed him at, we certainly are looking at him as a top 2 CB. You don't pay nickel backs that kind of $$$.

Our FO can't win for losing on this board. If we don't sign them, it's that we won't spend any money, and we're not making the team better. Or no free agents want to come to NO. If we do, we overpaid, and the player is going to be awful...

Last I checked, CB is our major position of weakness... to get a guy, you may have to overpay a bit. But BTW, I'm sure he's no better than the 3rd highest paid corner on our team. Aren't Jason David and McKenzie making more?

I may be in the minority, but I think Jason David deserves another shot. He came in late, got burned in the first game against Payton Manning, who not only is the best QB in the game, but got a chance to see every one of his weaknesses for the previous years, then he got hurt and missed some games... Seemed like he was always a little behind the 8-ball.. We may all be surprised this year after a full offseason here, he may actually become serviceable... I agree that he was incredibly bad last year, but he wasn't that incredibly bad any of his other years, so I'm willing to give him one more chance.

In this day and age, you can't have enough good corners. If Gay was good enough to start for Belichick, even part time, that's good enough for me. The main thing is that we need some NUMBERS at corner... We're down to very few, so we should all be happy that we're signing guys at a need position... Hoping for at least one more.

Our FO can't win for losing on this board. If we don't sign them, it's that we won't spend any money, and we're not making the team better. Or no free agents want to come to NO. If we do, we overpaid, and the player is going to be awful...

Last I checked, CB is our major position of weakness... to get a guy, you may have to overpay a bit. But BTW, I'm sure he's no better than the 3rd highest paid corner on our team. Aren't Jason David and McKenzie making more?

I may be in the minority, but I think Jason David deserves another shot. He came in late, got burned in the first game against Payton Manning, who not only is the best QB in the game, but got a chance to see every one of his weaknesses for the previous years, then he got hurt and missed some games... Seemed like he was always a little behind the 8-ball.. We may all be surprised this year after a full offseason here, he may actually become serviceable... I agree that he was incredibly bad last year, but he wasn't that incredibly bad any of his other years, so I'm willing to give him one more chance.

In this day and age, you can't have enough good corners. If Gay was good enough to start for Belichick, even part time, that's good enough for me. The main thing is that we need some NUMBERS at corner... We're down to very few, so we should all be happy that we're signing guys at a need position... Hoping for at least one more.

I've been complaining as much as anyone else, but I wouldn't have been upset if we declined on Gay.

If he didn't play for the high profile patriots, how much would we have spent on this guy?

The patriot-tax strikes again...

I'm pretty sure he and Corey Webster were the starters.

nah, the other guy that went to the miami dolphins and sabanwas the starter. i cant recall his name.

either way, I think it is a good signing. we may be looking to change the defensive philosophy and play more zone coverage with david and gay in the fold. now we need a good ballhawk safety to replace bullocks.

Another guy that I like from LSU late in the draft is jonathan zenon. I think he will make the transition into the pro's better than chevis jacksn. thats just my opinion,

Another guy that I like from LSU late in the draft is jonathan zenon. I think he will make the transition into the pro's better than chevis jacksn. thats just my opinion,

Not trying to call you out or anything but I'm just curious why you think Zenon will transition better. I've seen others say the same, I'm just wondering why.

hmm.. ilst we forget the reason JD was burned so bad is he and bullocks hhaving to give the run game too much attention with a lack of a real MLB.. lets just hope our new mlb is healthy this season.... and then see if the real JD is so bad.
and for the jd comment coming from a poor defense.. they were poor during the season vs the run, not the pass and they were the best defense in football during he playoffs.
because of 1 difference maker returning to the starting lineup.. well a healthy vilma is defineately a difference maker.. mcray maybe an assist in that as well.

with the other lesser thought of cb dropping already with bigger contracts. can you really complain about that much for a slot corner... especially when teams like to throw there speed guy there to burn people deep.

hmm.. ilst we forget the reason JD was burned so bad is he and bullocks hhaving to give the run game too much attention with a lack of a real MLB.. lets just hope our new mlb is healthy this season.... and then see if the real JD is so bad.
and for the jd comment coming from a poor defense.. they were poor during the season vs the run, not the pass and they were the best defense in football during he playoffs.
because of 1 difference maker returning to the starting lineup.. well a healthy vilma is defineately a difference maker.. mcray maybe an assist in that as well.

with the other lesser thought of cb dropping already with bigger contracts. can you really complain about that much for a slot corner... especially when teams like to throw there speed guy there to burn people deep.

Alleluia and Glory Be!!! I mean after all....as much as I LOVE and have a huge man crush on Will Smith...He didn't play his best ball last year either...I don't know if he's been eating too well, got the itis or just plain ol' lost his motivation....But Both him and Grant have been disappointing to me...I expect way more pass rush out of the DE...with that going on we should have better play from our corners getting the beneficence of pressure on the QB making him throw more errantly...I look forward still to getting a faster and taller CB in the mold of a Chris McAllister aka DRC w/our #10 pick....He's raw now, but he's got so much upside and we've already been grooming Young to take over after McKenzie retires a Saint....That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Wyzdom360

PS: It doesn't hurt as the last fella said that Jonathan Vilma is our Starting Middle Line Backer now!!!!!!! OH!!! and Mike McKenzie isn't that far off from starting for us...even if he starts only by the 4th game, We'll be tremendously better than last year already...and this just in....We haven't even had the draft yet or the rest of Free Agency...Relax folks...get your popcorn Ready, so you can pass the popcorn like the Roots!!! I feel a show about to commence!!!

Last edited:
I like all of the signings.....call me crazy. Vilma is going to make an immediate impact, we kept Stecker on Special Teams....Randall Gay is going to fill a definite need. While some feel Devery may not be worth it, if he gives us a year like 2006 then his salary is a steal.

I don't know the guy from Jax only that he started on that defense.....Other than our game they were a very very good defense last season.....so I'm ok with that too.

Kudos to Loomis et al for not getting into a bidding war for players this year.....FA was very thin as most know and the Draft is very deep on some of the positions we have needs at.

I'm pretty sure he and Corey Webster were the starters.

Gay and Webster were the starters and Daniels had been playing safety. When Gay got hurt, Daniels moved over to CB and freshman LaRon Landry played safety. That worked out so well that when Gay was healthy again he was bumped to the nickelback role.

just watched the superbowl again....Gay never got burned for a touchdown...it was Hobbs and Samuels who were toasted....good sign..? maybe...

Old scouting report for "Blue" coming out of LSU:

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/me...rts/Lsu-Prospects.For.Nfl.Draft-2049525.shtml

RANDALL GAY

VITAL STATS:

Position: CB

Weight: 185

Height: 5'10 7/8"

40 yard dash time: 4.33

3-Year Letterman

Gay came to LSU as a running back, yet was switched to defensive back his freshman year. In his first season, Gay saw action in five games, recording two tackles at defensive back. He served as one of seven freshman in 2000 who saw action on defense.

Gay began to make his presence felt in his sophomore season, playing in all 13 games with one start. His breakout game came against Illinois in the 2001 Sugar Bowl, forcing one fumble and returning a fumble 19 yards, setting up an LSU touchdown.

During the NFL's Pro Day, Gay put together a 4.29 40, surprising NFL scouts as many expected him to finish in the 4.55 range.

Although Gay may not be the highest regarded defensive back in the draft, his experience could prove important, and would certainly fill any team's need as a backup.

- Compiled by

Jeff Sentell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Gay

On April 29, 2004, he was signed by the Patriots shortly after the NFL draft as an undrafted free agent. His rookie year, Gay beat out cornerback Christian Morton, the Patriots' 7th-round draft pick, for a place on the roster. Later in the season, Gay was placed into the starting lineup because of injuries to veterans Ty Law and Tyrone Poole. Gay's rookie season concluded with a victory in Super Bowl XXXIX, in which he started opposite Asante Samuel where he was the leading tackler with 11 solo tackles. He failed to make a full contribution in 2005 and 2006, due to injuries that landed him on injured reserve. "Blue" Gay returned in 2007 and played primarily as a nickel back and a backup safety. He did start several games, including the AFC Divisional Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Gay intercepted a career high three passes while playing in every game of the 2007 season.

Gay has the ability to play both cornerback and safety, as he did against the Indianapolis Colts in 2005.

♦ After failing to deliver up to expectations of New England Patriots fans in both the 2005 and 2006 seasons, before the 2007 training camp, Gay was quoted as saying: [1]

“You know how it is, It’s like, ‘Oh man, you’re still getting a paycheck?’ and ‘Two years in a row!?!’ That’s the kind of stuff you really don’t want to hear, because in your heart you want to be back out there.”

“I can say this, I’m the most anxious person for training camp. I’m about the only one here that’s ready for it to come.”

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom