What pick @ #10 would upset you most? (2 Viewers)

What pick @ #10 would upset you the most?

• DRC

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • McKelvin

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Albert

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Rivers

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Jenkins

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Balmer

Votes: 109 37.5%
  • Mendenhall

Votes: 93 32.0%
  • Clady

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Talib

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • trade down.....

Votes: 11 3.8%

• Total voters
Why in the world would DRC have more votes than Clady? Many people have DRC as the best CB prospect and several mocks have him at #10 or higher.

Clady is a tackle who apparently can't even prepare for the wonderlic well enough to score what an average person (not even an average college grad) would score if they took it cold. Seriously, I would not take a tackle who got a 13 on that test at #10. It would infuriate me if we took Clady unless the coaches made a pretty good case that he's not a moron.

Why in the world would DRC have more votes than Clady? Many people have DRC as the best CB prospect and several mocks have him at #10 or higher.

Clady is a tackle who apparently can't even prepare for the wonderlic well enough to score what an average person (not even an average college grad) would score if they took it cold. Seriously, I would not take a tackle who got a 13 on that test at #10. It would infuriate me if we took Clady unless the coaches made a pretty good case that he's not a moron.

Well, I can't remember too many times when book smarts relates to football smarts, but I see your point. There have been many uneducated guys who made a heck of a career in football though. I'm not too worried about anyone's Wonderlic score (cept for a QB maybe).

Wonderlic tests are not the be all, end all of college scouting.

Balmer in a landslide. The guy is a second round prospect, not Top 10.

I would just hate to see a trade down. I will wait patiently for 3 hours for pick #10 to come up just to see the commish say "the Dallas Cowboys are now on the clock, the Saints now pick 28th" or something like that and it's always like 2 more hours before Chris Mortensen or whover finds out the terms of the deal. Then I will have waited an entire day to find out that Loomis traded a top 10 pick for Terry Glenn and the 28th pick which will be used on a player nobody had rated above the third round before the draft.... ARRRGAHAHGG I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

For me, Albert, Mendenhall, and Balmer are about equal on the putrid pick list. Clady I could understand, but not Mendenhall or Albert. As for Balmer, he's just WAY not a top 10 pick in the first place. Neither is Albert for that matter, but I think he's a better prospect than Balmer. IF the Saints draft Balmer, it better not be until the 2nd round. Even then, I won't be thrilled with the pick.

I voted for Albert because OG makes the least sense to me from a standpoint of filling need. RB is very close behind, though.

For me, Albert, Mendenhall, and Balmer are about equal on the putrid pick list. Clady I could understand, but not Mendenhall or Albert. As for Balmer, he's just WAY not a top 10 pick in the first place. Neither is Albert for that matter, but I think he's a better prospect than Balmer. IF the Saints draft Balmer, it better not be until the 2nd round. Even then, I won't be thrilled with the pick.

I voted for Albert because OG makes the least sense to me from a standpoint of filling need. RB is very close behind, though.

But, if DOOOOCE is cut, would Mendenhall still be on your (or anyone else's for that matter) putrid list?

And for the record, I do like PT and I think he can be really good for us.

I'm gonna be in the minority in saying this, but Mike Jenkins would be my least favorite. It's not even close really. Balmer, Talib, and Medenhall would tie for a distant 2nd.

Well, I can't remember too many times when book smarts relates to football smarts, but I see your point. There have been many uneducated guys who made a heck of a career in football though. I'm not too worried about anyone's Wonderlic score (cept for a QB maybe).

Well there are plenty of examples where wonderlic scores either accurately predicted successful careers (both Mannings) or unsuccessful ones for QBs (Brooks and arguably VY soon to follow). Sure, there are couter-examples, but this is a digression from the point.

Left tackle is considered the second most cerebral position in football, perhaps not even second, to QB. You have to know what everyone on the field is doing, you have to know the entire playbook, etc. There's a LOT of studying to do and if you can't study for a little test that's probably less of a big deal that the SAT/ACT for high school kids, then how are you going to cut it with an NFL offense? Getting a 13 doesn't just mean you're stupid, it means you're pretty unprepared and probably didn't even try to prepare for it. If you are trying to be a 1st round pick in the NFL and you know you're at a position where intelligence is valued and you know it will be tested in a way you can easily prepare for (i.e. learn the test and study for it; agents notoriously give versions of the test to their clients ahead of time and get them tutors, etc.) then how bad does it look when you're at either QB or OT and you don't even bother getting an AVERAGE score, let alone one that indicates you can hack it at a mentally challenging job?

Well there are plenty of examples where wonderlic scores either accurately predicted successful careers (both Mannings) or unsuccessful ones for QBs (Brooks and arguably VY soon to follow). Sure, there are couter-examples, but this is a digression from the point.

Left tackle is considered the second most cerebral position in football, perhaps not even second, to QB. You have to know what everyone on the field is doing, you have to know the entire playbook, etc. There's a LOT of studying to do and if you can't study for a little test that's probably less of a big deal that the SAT/ACT for high school kids, then how are you going to cut it with an NFL offense? Getting a 13 doesn't just mean you're stupid, it means you're pretty unprepared and probably didn't even try to prepare for it. If you are trying to be a 1st round pick in the NFL and you know you're at a position where intelligence is valued and you know it will be tested in a way you can easily prepare for (i.e. learn the test and study for it; agents notoriously give versions of the test to their clients ahead of time and get them tutors, etc.) then how bad does it look when you're at either QB or OT and you don't even bother getting an AVERAGE score, let alone one that indicates you can hack it at a mentally challenging job?

I do understand the importance of the test when it comes to getting a good idea on someone's ability to learn, adapt and retain knowledge. But, I kind of compare it to a scholastic test vs a football test. Just because they can't add 2 + 2 doesn't mean they don't know how to run a ball, block a blitzer, or cover a WR. Some are good at school while others are good at their respective sport.

I realize that there are questions on the test which rate your ability to think and your common sense, but there has to be a good number of seasoned vets that bombed that test. I know VY did very poorly and he is showing a bit of that foresight, but I don't think it's an accurate judge of everyone at every position.

BTW, does any other sport conduct this test?

I could not vote because Balmer and Talib are equal in my book in terms of how much they each would disappoint me.

I'm with Chris on this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom