What position groups are better than our Super Bowl year or 2011 (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It would be an interesting discussion and maybe help shed some light on the state of the team. I think we are as talented on paper as we have ever been so what is missing, what is causing us to not reach our potential. It’s easy to say it’s Brees because he was better than Winston but it has to be more than that. There are a lot of above average QBs that are winning with less. So maybe we breakdown position groups and coaches and see if there is an interesting conclusion?

We know it’s QB for sure so that’s done and not really up for debate but let’s start with the O line.
Which group of the 3 is more talented on paper then on The field?

09 had the best guard tandem in the NFL. By far. We had balance on offense, most opportunistic D we’ve ever had led by Sharper.

You already pointed out our at that time still in his prime HOF QB, that’s huge. A hungry Sean is head and shoulders above our current HC.

Current D line (slightly) better, current backers better, current secondary better. Imo.

That’s all I got off the top of my head.

Also, nice thread idea.

*misread title as our 09 team, answers/thoughts are for 09 only.

Last edited:
This defense overall is way better than the Super Bowl D. The number of turnovers the team produced that year can´t be coached up, it just happens. Sure, the defense was opportunistic and "flew to the ball", that was the whole GGG mindset. His aggresiveness offset the lack of premier talent.

QB- 2009
RB - 2022 but 2009 had way more depth
WR - 2009. 2022 has potential but Colston, Devery, Meach and Moore were machines
OL - 2009 by a lot. Ram i better than Stinch and McCoy is better than Goodwin but it's close. Bushrod was the weak link but not like Hurst is great. Gs were a million times better than now.
TE - Shockey is way better than what we have now.

DL - 2022
LB - 2009
S - Tie
CB - 2022

ST - Tie

Coaching - 2009

Biggest difference is QB and OL. Given QB is by far the most important position, it's clear why 2009 was better.

QB- 2009
RB - 2022 but 2009 had way more depth
WR - 2009. 2022 has potential but Colston, Devery, Meach and Moore were machines
OL - 2009 by a lot. Ram i better than Stinch and McCoy is better than Goodwin but it's close. Bushrod was the weak link but not like Hurst is great. Gs were a million times better than now.
TE - Shockey is way better than what we have now.

DL - 2022
LB - 2009
S - Tie
CB - 2022

ST - Tie

Coaching - 2009

Biggest difference is QB and OL. Given QB is by far the most important position, it's clear why 2009 was better.
Completely forgot about TE, totally agree there and on your last point times a million.

OL, TE, and QB are where we are weaker than those teams. We had a top 5 QB of all time, and HOF level guard tandem (if Nicks stays here he's a lock for the Hall of Fame, the staph spread in Tampa wrecked his career). Alvin is better than any HB on those rosters by a mile but we were deeper at HB. 2009 Shockey and 2011 Graham are far better than what we have now.

We're stronger at every level defensively on this roster.

This defense overall is way better than the Super Bowl D. The number of turnovers the team produced that year can´t be coached up, it just happens. Sure, the defense was opportunistic and "flew to the ball", that was the whole GGG mindset. His aggresiveness offset the lack of premier talent.
Let's not forget, back in the day (2009), you could beat down QBs, if they gave you any lip!!!!

It would be an interesting discussion and maybe help shed some light on the state of the team. I think we are as talented on paper as we have ever been so what is missing, what is causing us to not reach our potential. It’s easy to say it’s Brees because he was better than Winston but it has to be more than that. There are a lot of above average QBs that are winning with less. So maybe we breakdown position groups and coaches and see if there is an interesting conclusion?

We know it’s QB for sure so that’s done and not really up for debate but let’s start with the O line.
Which group of the 3 is more talented on paper then on The field?
In 09 and 11 we looked like the best team in the league the vast majority of the season.

Though it’s early the eye test we look like a 7 win barely top 20 team.

09 & 11 offense is FAR ahead of the current roster at every position with the exception of 2 individual players and that's AK & MT.

As for the defense, it's too early to tell, but the current DLine and CB's could be better than both. It would be hard for the current lineup's safeties to surpass what the '09 team did due to what "HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED" was able to accomplish.

edit: Honorable mention goes out to DD, dude is a BEAST!!! I'll take him over JV.

Peak Drew Brees, man. He was special.
Agreed, unfortunately we have little path to another franchise QB in the next few years.

When your best hope is picks for an asset (Payton) who isn’t helping you currently you are in trouble.

2016s WR group was better than 09 & 11s. If I had to rank the WR groups it'll be 16 > 22 > 11 > 09

Only way I'd give 11's WRs the nod over this current group is if we count Jimmy as a WR...then 11 >>>> 22, but man....2016s group was serious 2 1k yd receivers (MT & Cooks) and 1 900yd receiver (Snead)

People need to stop taking away from how good the 09 defense was. The whole point of defense is to take the ball away and we were top 5 or even better and we also were great on 3rd down and redzone defensively. I don't care how many yards they gave up, yards are close to meaningless defensively.

Last edited:
The 2009 team was much better. And it's not close. As far as the individual units, here goes:

QB--2009 by a mile.
RB--2009. Today no depth. Combination of Thomas, Bush and Bell over Kamara.
TE--2009 by a mile.
OL--2009.
WR--Tie. 2009 unit had four quality, highly productive receivers. 2022 receivers would be special with Brees in his prime at quarterback.
DL--2022, but not by as much as some think. 2009 had Will Smith and also Charles Grant, who was talented.
LB--Tie.
DB--2009. Lattimore is the best cornerback the Saints have ever had. Greer and Porter are the best cornerback pair the Saints have ever had, and in 2009, Saints were stronger at safety (Sharper, Harper and Jenkins).
ST--2022.
Coaching--2009 easily.

In summary, the 2022 defense might have a slight edge over the 2009 defense. But the 2009 offense was exponentially better than the 2022 offense.

Last edited:
People need to stop taking away from how good the 09 defense was. The whole point of defense is to take the ball away and we were top 5 or even better and we also were great on 3rd down and redzone defensively. I don't care how many yards they gave up, yards are close to meaningless defensively.
💯.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom